PDA

View Full Version : Coin hunter 10% Gold hunter MXT vs XLT used

Oregon Hunter
12-08-2010, 06:51 PM
I have the to pick between a MXT and a XLT for my wife. Both detectors are $400.00 used in good shape. She loves detecting old home sights for coins! In the summer we love to go to the hills an look for nuggets! Would the MXT find coins just as good as the XLT? Your feed back would be very helpful. Thanks

hobbes_lives
12-08-2010, 07:51 PM
I would choose the MXT over the XLT. The MXT is a powerful machine with turn-on-and-go simplicity. Do I sound like a salesman? lol I've used my MXT for coin hunting allot and have also found some nice gold items while doing so. Get ready to dig some deep nickels.

I've never used an XLT, but I do have an Eagle Spectrum, which is the predecessor to the XLT. It's sat in the closet since I purchased my MXT.

Oregon Hunter
12-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks for your input! Looks like the MXT wins again. It also has the 950 coil. Would I be better off with another coil for gold? Or a D2 for coins? Or is the 950 just fine for coins only?

hobbes_lives
12-08-2010, 08:47 PM
For coin hunting, I generally switch between a 950 coil for general use and an Eclipse 5.3 for trashy areas. I have a 6x10 coil and a Super 12 also, but haven't put as much time in with them. I haven't used a D2 coil at all.

I can't really speak for gold hunting specifically. Someone else may chime in on that one.

Oregon Hunter
12-09-2010, 12:56 AM
thanks for your advise
i will look into that 5.3

little man
12-11-2010, 10:50 AM
I have the MXT and got MXT Pro coming we have the V3i to the MXT is good MD love mine hit hard to put it down some time with the 6x10 coil it a kill on coin

Lowjiber
12-11-2010, 09:48 PM
The MXT is an awesome detector with a great prospecting program. It has the identical software for prospecting as the famous GMT by White's, but a better ground tracking system. I've used mine a lot in the gold hills of northern California.

IMHO, the best coil for the MXT is the 6x10 Eclipse. It handles mineralized soil (where you usually find gold) better than any other coil I've ever used.

As mentioned above, the 5 coil is great in trashy areas for coins.

Oregon Hunter
12-12-2010, 12:00 AM
Thanks for your advise! Im going to try it out Monday at a 1864 homestead. I'll let you guys know how the MXT performs

SeabeeRon
12-14-2010, 03:41 PM
The MXT is an awesome detector with a great prospecting program. It has the identical software for prospecting as the famous GMT by White's, but a better ground tracking system. I've used mine a lot in the gold hills of northern California.

IMHO, the best coil for the MXT is the 6x10 Eclipse. It handles mineralized soil (where you usually find gold) better than any other coil I've ever used.

As mentioned above, the 5 coil is great in trashy areas for coins.

Listen to this man, he knows of what he speaks! :grin:

Judy
12-14-2010, 09:32 PM
MXT hands down! That little beauty hits hot on small gold! The XLT (and I have one) is a good/solid/proven machine and I'll never get rid of mine....and I have found gold, lots of relics...but if going for gold/all purpose - between the 2, I'd choose the MXT.

The batteries are out of my XLT - so she can't hear me lol

hobbes_lives
12-15-2010, 09:26 PM
The batteries are out of my XLT - so she can't hear me lol

rofl rofl rofl