PDA

View Full Version : OK you Iowa people, I need your help

coinnut
12-13-2010, 07:50 PM
That's an odd title lol I need some info on a good freight company. I am getting a tumbler (big one :shocked04:) for my detecting finds and I need to know if anyone has had good luck with a trucking company. The item is located in Griswold Iowa , so I was hoping some one there knew of a good, decent freight company. Any thoughts??

pulltabsteve
12-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Trucking company?? What are you getting a cement mixer :envious:

Full Metal Digger
12-13-2010, 08:59 PM

Looks like he is finally going to tumble all that clad he has found and wants to do it one sitting!

coinnut
12-13-2010, 09:05 PM

Looks like he is finally going to tumble all that clad he has found and wants to do it one sitting!

rofl I like big stuff lol Its a tumbler that is about 40 long. I can tumble many barrels on it, so I could do 4 or 5 dug bottles at a time, or all of the junk coins separated in different barrels at once. :cheesysmile: It's really cause I have many, many (did I say many?) boxes of junk metal I have found over the course of 38 years detecting and I want to clean them up before I die ;) Who knows what artifacts can turn up in them boxes. Plus scrap metal is at an all time high lol But thanks for the suggestions on trucking companies rofl

del
12-13-2010, 09:09 PM
jeez George if the tumbler is that big you might be better off renting a u-haul and doing it yourself lol lol :poke:

coinnut
12-13-2010, 09:33 PM
jeez George if the tumbler is that big you might be better off renting a u-haul and doing it yourself lol lol :poke:

Thank God you moved Dan lol But Iowa is just not far enough :cheesysmile: How long before you want to use my tumbler?? lol Seems like someone has tumbler envy :rolleyes: :poke:

SeabeeRon
12-14-2010, 03:35 PM
I saw a show the other night where a guy who cleans the coins from some Wishing Well Cavern in New Mexico use a portable cement mixer to tumble and clean the coins. Thought maybe that was what you were getting!! :poke: :boxing:

dave in iowa
12-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Is the owners name Clark Griswold? might watch out for him lol

coinnut
12-14-2010, 10:38 PM
I saw a show the other night where a guy who cleans the coins from some Wishing Well Cavern in New Mexico use a portable cement mixer to tumble and clean the coins. Thought maybe that was what you were getting!! :poke: :boxing:

Hey, that's a thought. We need to start a chain of wishing wells all across the country. That will be big bucks :drool: I may need to order a second tumbler rofl

Epi-hunter
12-14-2010, 11:00 PM
George, I was born and raised in Iowa. Never heard of Griswold, Iowa (which frankly sounds extremely depressing lol ) but what that means to me is that it is in the very western part of the state (I am an eastern Iowa girl). Near Omaha, Nebraska, probably (I'll check it out)

jkress and dave in Iowa are also in eastern iowa, from my area :) so they may not know either.

Can't you get the seller to ship the item? Is it large enough to warrant freight shipping? Where did you buy it?

coinnut
12-14-2010, 11:13 PM
Can't you get the seller to ship the item? Is it large enough to warrant freight shipping? Where did you buy it?

Most items that you get at auction are buyers responsibility. It's not that big if an item, but it may require a truck. About 120 lbs crated and maximum 45 inches long. Just may be too long for UPS. I haven't bought it yet, but probably will. Haven't seen a tumbler this size (medium) for a while. Can't use the little ones that the hobby shops sell and don't need the monster industrial ones that are out there. The problem with freight these days is they make you jump through hoops to get a quote. I have no patients for that :rolleyes:

tanacat
12-20-2010, 10:13 AM
It's really cause I have many, many (did I say many?) boxes of junk metal I have found over the course of 38 years detecting and I want to clean them up before I die ;) Who knows what artifacts can turn up in them boxes. Plus scrap metal is at an all time high lol But thanks for the suggestions on trucking companies rofl

Congrats on your motivation! One good thing winter is for... btw, how is your 'man-cave' coming along?

coinnut
12-20-2010, 04:09 PM
btw, how is your 'man-cave' coming along?

Furniture is coming in on the 23rd. Then the real fun begins lol Will be posting some pics when some of the machinery gets set up.

Epi-hunter
12-20-2010, 08:50 PM
So did you end up buying the huge tumbler?

I'm going to Iowa for Christmas. I can pick it up for you. :) And take it back to KY. lol

coinnut
12-20-2010, 08:57 PM
So did you end up buying the huge tumbler?

I'm going to Iowa for Christmas. I can pick it up for you. :) And take it back to KY. lol

Yep, it's mine officially lol Now I just have to set up a chain of members to get it to me. So far I have you to take it to Kentucky. Then it has to go to Ohio, Pennsylvania and then NY, and finally into western Massachusetts. This could work lol The seller is visiting relatives and will crate it after Christmas, when I will start calling trucking companies. It will probably get here by January 10th or so.

pulltabsteve
12-22-2010, 05:30 PM
Yep, it's mine officially lol Now I just have to set up a chain of members to get it to me. So far I have you to take it to Kentucky. Then it has to go to Ohio, Pennsylvania and then NY, and finally into western Massachusetts. This could work lol The seller is visiting relatives and will crate it after Christmas, when I will start calling trucking companies. It will probably get here by January 10th or so.

I have a week off in Jan. We could always do a roadtrip? Detect each state along the way and back! :happydance01: :grin:

coinnut
12-22-2010, 05:50 PM
I have a week off in Jan. We could always do a roadtrip? Detect each state along the way and back! :happydance01: :grin:

Great plan except that you would be solo, since I don't have the week off lol I'm looking into the tumbler barrels for that monster right now. I think I found them the other day :clapping: I'll post the set up when I get it here and running.