PDA

View Full Version : Mid-December Silver

angellionel
12-17-2010, 06:41 PM
After several very cold days this week the chilly wind finally subsided enough to allow for a few hours of detecting. The ground at the site I hit this afternoon was hard to dig into, but not impossible. I had to use my small shovel though, since digging with the trowel was a royal pain. :bangahead01:

I did manage to find three mercury dimes, dated 1929, 1943-D, and 1944. :happydance01: The 1939 merc I found this past Monday while attempting to brave the freezing cold at a local park. :frozen:

These bring my total silver count to 984, though the count is 1,001 if I include the 17 wartime silver nickels I also found this year. :cheesysmile:

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/December/silverdimes_121710.jpg

I still enjoy finding the wheat cents. :grin:

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/December/wheatcents_121710.jpg

Is it too late to enter the ox knob race? rofl

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/December/oxknobs.jpg

HH!

pulltabsteve
12-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Nice dimes Angel! I'll be getting out with Mike L in the morning. Hoping there are more KGs at the teepee spot ;)

li tom
12-17-2010, 07:47 PM
I say that War nickels count and you are at 1,000 Congrats! :clapping:

coinnut
12-17-2010, 07:49 PM
Nice hunt Angel and NO on the war nickels lol The ox knob race is Dave's again this year, but you can spend the winter dreaming of taking that crown next year. :thinkingabout: Nice silvers and I hope that weather holds out long enough. Even if we get snow, it may just let you have some time right before the new year starts. Be optimistic lol

angellionel
12-17-2010, 08:02 PM
Nice dimes Angel! I'll be getting out with Mike L in the morning. Hoping there are more KGs at the teepee spot ;)

I hope you guys score with some old coins! thumbsup01 I'll be heading out in the morning too, to the same site I hit today. There has to be more silver there. lol

I say that War nickels count and you are at 1,000 Congrats! :clapping:

I should count them and get it over with. lol Thanks, Tom! :beerbuddy:

Nice hunt Angel and NO on the war nickels lol The ox knob race is Dave's again this year, but you can spend the winter dreaming of taking that crown next year. :thinkingabout: Nice silvers and I hope that weather holds out long enough. Even if we get snow, it may just let you have some time right before the new year starts. Be optimistic lol

Yeah, Dave cleaned up on the ox knobs this year. lol They sure do sound off nicely. 8/

So no on the silver nickels? Man, you are tough. lol I will be giving the site a good workout tomorrow and on Sunday. Hopefully a few more silver coins will turn up. :cheesysmile:

jkress
12-18-2010, 11:04 AM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: .... more silver!

I counted silver nickels this year in my total. Heck, their silver too.

If you really wanted an accurate count of how many silver coins you found this year... you have to include them. :yes:

I vote silver nickels count!!

Fire Fighter 43
12-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Silver nickels count in my book, congrats on hitting 1000. It is an amazing total. How many hours do you think it took you to find that many silver and what do you think your wheat to silver ratio is.

z118
12-18-2010, 11:32 AM
Silver nickels count, no doubt!

Nice digs as always. We're stuck under a foot or so of snow up here... so no detecting for me.

leslie(nova scotia)
12-18-2010, 12:10 PM
From the land of the Bluenose...that is an awesome count sir. Best of the season to you. Almost over here for the year.....next days off will be the tell!

coinnut
12-18-2010, 04:12 PM
Silver nickels count as 1/2 rofl After all, they are only about half silver ;)

Schrecky
12-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Nice finds, glad you can still get out. Since Dec 1 we have had 88 of snow, a white Christmas is guaranteed.

randy
12-18-2010, 06:37 PM
Nice silvers :happydance01: and congrats on 1000 <: <: <: War nickels totally count in my book. They have more than 75% of the silver of a dime, and are harder to find.

And congrats on finding a place to dig, our ground is rock hard frozen :bangahead01: :bangahead01: :bangahead01:

coinnut
12-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Nice silvers :happydance01: and congrats on 1000 <: <: <: War nickels totally count in my book. They have more than 75% of the silver of a dime, and are harder to find.

And congrats on finding a place to dig, our ground is rock hard frozen :bangahead01: :bangahead01: :bangahead01:

Don't encourage him Randy lol He must get 1000 silvers without nickels rofl rofl

angellionel
12-18-2010, 07:29 PM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: .... more silver!

I counted silver nickels this year in my total. Heck, their silver too.

If you really wanted an accurate count of how many silver coins you found this year... you have to include them. :yes:

I vote silver nickels count!!

John, (midas) also tells me that I should count them. The argument he used is that of 10k gold. It's 41.7% gold, so should it then not be counted as a gold find? rofl That argument works for me. :cheesysmile:

Silver nickels count in my book, congrats on hitting 1000. It is an amazing total. How many hours do you think it took you to find that many silver and what do you think your wheat to silver ratio is.

Thanks! I had to review my logs to get an idea. :confused: This year I made 203 detecting trips, 189 of which ended with at least one silver coin. On most weekday hunts I averaged just over three hours. Weekends of course were much longer. Today, for example, I detected for five hours. So I estimate the total hours to be between 750 and 800. :thinkingabout:

Silver nickels count, no doubt!

Nice digs as always. We're stuck under a foot or so of snow up here... so no detecting for me.

Wow! :shocked01: Please keep that snow away from here. lol Have your E-Trac ready for spring though! thumbsup01

In other words, I still haven't made 1,000. lol

Nice finds, glad you can still get out. Since Dec 1 we have had 88 of snow, a white Christmas is guaranteed.

You too? :shocked01: Z has closed shop due to snow down his way. I am hoping we skip the snow this month. :yes:

Thanks, Randy! :beerbuddy:

The site I worked has a layer of short grass and the stubble of shrubs from a recent mowing, so it has kept the ground from completely hardening. :yes:

Don't encourage him Randy lol He must get 1000 silvers without nickels rofl rofl

Well then, I'm close. I did find a few more today. :cheesysmile: lol

ProPointer
12-18-2010, 10:08 PM
Great finds Angel. 1,000 + silver in a year isn't to shabby... :grin:

-PP

angellionel
12-19-2010, 04:36 PM
....and what do you think your wheat to silver ratio is.

Sorry, I neglected to answer this question too. Last time I counted I had 1506 wheat cents in the jar. I think it may be closer to 1700 or more by now. :confused: So at this time it may be something like 1 silver for every 1.5 wheat cent. :thinkingabout: I will be counting the wheat cents again by the end of the month, so I will know for sure then. :yes:

Great finds Angel. 1,000 + silver in a year isn't to shabby... :grin:

-PP

Thanks, ProPointer! thumbsup01

milco
12-19-2010, 07:28 PM
I say the nickels count, but please don't stop, we all want to see some more shiny stuff! Congrats on a fantastic year!! Your silver to wheat ratio is crazy compared to what most of us experience, somewhere around 7 to 1 I would say.

Woody420
12-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Nice bunch of Dimes!!! Congrats! thumbsup01

wild willy
12-21-2010, 07:14 AM
if ya want to get real technical all the others are 90% so were do you draw a line? i vote they count. :) willy

Carver
12-21-2010, 08:11 AM
That is an awesome year for sure!!! Big congrats!!

odave
12-21-2010, 07:31 PM
Wow !! Sweet finds !! Congrats on a 1000 for the Year ! That's the most I've ever heard anyone finding in a Year .. Awesome !!