PDA

View Full Version : Barber Coins And Mercury Dimes

angellionel
12-18-2010, 07:56 PM
I had planned on an early trip to the site I worked yesterday but I had a late start. It worked out well anyway. The site was quiet and peaceful, allowing me moments of thoughts, which were only interrupted by the sweet sound of deep silver. I don't mind those kinds of interruptions. ;) I detected for about five hours, and ended the day with six silver coins.

This is my ninth Barber half this year. It sounded off beautifully! The long grass and overgrowth of shrubs had kept it hidden from me all year, but the recent mowing of the tall wild grass and the cutting off of the overgrown shrubs offered me a great opportunity to work the area. How could I resist?

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/December/190:clapping:_barberhalf_121810.jpg

A Barber coin of each series. How sweet! The Barber quarter and dime do not have a mint mark, and neither does the 1916 mercury dime. Maybe next time. lol

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/December/silvercoins_121810.jpg

It doesn't show up well on the photo, but there was snowy frost on the ground.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/December/etrac_on_ground_121810.jpg

HH!

coinnut
12-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Nice coins :shocked04: Great looking Barber Half, and the rest ain't too shabby either lol Glad it worked out for you. The ground was a bit frosty today. Nice that you could even dig where you were. :frozen:

BHNugget
12-18-2010, 09:17 PM
Congrats Angel, that half looks great!

angellionel
12-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Nice coins :shocked04: Great looking Barber Half, and the rest ain't too shabby either lol Glad it worked out for you. The ground was a bit frosty today. Nice that you could even dig where you were. :frozen:

Some of the more exposed ground made for tough digging, but the areas covered with short grass and stubble weren't a problem. :yes:

Congrats Angel, that half looks great!

Thanks BH!

ProPointer
12-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Great looking silver Angel.

I'm suprised it hasn't snowed yet over there.

-PP

Full Metal Digger
12-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Congrats more great silver finds. Interesting discrimination pattern you are running. I notice you blocked out the upper left corner. I wondered about that because on the factory coin mode, it is open but I couldn't figure out what targets might come in with low Fe and Co. Merry Christmas and I hope you have a super 2011!

sniffy
12-19-2010, 12:16 AM
Thats a cool Barber trio!

pulltabsteve
12-19-2010, 05:45 AM
NICE! Six silver will brighten up your day <: BTW your Etrac was wrong. The machine says 1910, the half is a 1908. Better send it in for repair... :grin:

sniffy
12-19-2010, 08:35 AM
NICE! Six silver will brighten up your day <: BTW your Etrac was wrong. The machine says 1910, the half is a 1908. Better send it in for repair... :grin:
lol rofl

z118
12-19-2010, 09:10 AM
Congrats more great silver finds. Interesting discrimination pattern you are running. I notice you blocked out the upper left corner.

That is an interesting pattern... I've been running with just a straight block of Fe disced out, but at a lower level than what Angel shows in the pic... I think it's around 22 or so. Does anything good ever ring up with an Fe higher than that?

Anyway, amazing digs as always! That would be my best hunt ever, but frankly, I can say that about pretty much all of your hunts!

angellionel
12-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Thanks guys! :beerbuddy:

Great looking silver Angel.

I'm suprised it hasn't snowed yet over there.

-PP

Let's keep it that way too. lol At least until January. :confused: :cheesysmile:

Congrats more great silver finds. Interesting discrimination pattern you are running. I notice you blocked out the upper left corner. I wondered about that because on the factory coin mode, it is open but I couldn't figure out what targets might come in with low Fe and Co. Merry Christmas and I hope you have a super 2011!

The discrimination pattern I use is a slightly modified version of the one Andy Sabisch posted elsewhere. You can read about Andy's rationale for the pattern HERE (http://www.findmall.com/read.php?63,894336,894336#msg-894336). :yes:

I have been using the modified pattern since May of last year, and it has more than done well for me with the settings I settled on. I posted those HERE (http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=2462.msg26483#msg26483), along with the Fe/Co numbers that have been discriminated out of the pattern.

lol lol

Well, what came out of that particular hole was an older memorial cent. lol

That is an interesting pattern... I've been running with just a straight block of Fe disced out, but at a lower level than what Angel shows in the pic... I think it's around 22 or so. Does anything good ever ring up with an Fe higher than that?

Anyway, amazing digs as always! That would be my best hunt ever, but frankly, I can say that about pretty much all of your hunts!

There are times when using a high sensitivity at an area where the ground is difficult or laden with much trash that good targets will generate Fe numbers in the high 20's. I have had good targets hit at 24 and 25. This has also been the case with very deep silver. :yes:

Full Metal Digger
12-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Thanks Angel,
I found the file and downloaded it to my computer. I will upload it to my E-trac and I look forward to trying it out at that old park. I just have to wait for it to warm up a bit first. We been below freezing 8 days now. Ground is ROCK hard.

angellionel
12-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Thanks Angel,
I found the file and downloaded it to my computer. I will upload it to my E-trac and I look forward to trying it out at that old park. I just have to wait for it to warm up a bit first. We been below freezing 8 days now. Ground is ROCK hard.

Oh man! I feel your pain! :shocked01: I will likely be dealing with the same thing in the coming week. :crying02:

I think you will like the pattern. It is great for parks, and it has been especially good when working very trashy sites. A slow sweep is a must at such sites though. :yes:

Epi-hunter
12-19-2010, 05:44 PM
That is a beautiful barber half Angel. As well as the other coins. Worth a little bit of tough digging. That half would have been a very nice 1000th coin thumbsup01

It doesn't show up well on the photo, but there was snowy frost on the ground.

rofl lol I am crying tears for you while here in the south, completely frozen under five inches of ice and snow. ;)

SeabeeRon
12-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Those Barbers should count as more than a single coin!!! :loveit: :smitten: :drool:

milco
12-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Excelletn Barber trio, congrats to you!

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-20-2010, 09:38 AM
love the site of that frozen plug flipped over thumbsup01 a beautiful hunt man congrats!

tanacat
12-20-2010, 09:51 AM
Wow that is one beautiful half! :clapping: Wishing you luck on finding 8 more silvers this year :cheesysmile: The pressure is on!

angellionel
12-20-2010, 10:44 AM
That is a beautiful barber half Angel. As well as the other coins. Worth a little bit of tough digging. That half would have been a very nice 1000th coin thumbsup01

rofl lol I am crying tears for you while here in the south, completely frozen under five inches of ice and snow. ;)

Thanks Angie. :) The weather pattern you are experiencing in KY is what I would have expected here by now. :shocked01: But I'm not complaining! :cheesysmile: lol

Those Barbers should count as more than a single coin!!! :loveit: :smitten: :drool:

That should be the rule. rofl

Excelletn Barber trio, congrats to you!

Thanks milco! :beerbuddy:

love the site of that frozen plug flipped over thumbsup01 a beautiful hunt man congrats!

Thanks Dave. It was tough digging, but worth it. :grin:

Wow that is one beautiful half! :clapping: Wishing you luck on finding 8 more silvers this year :cheesysmile: The pressure is on!

I sure hope this weekend's weather holds up or it is over. :frozen: No, I don't feel the pressure. rofl :cheesysmile:

odave
12-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Congrats on the Silver !! Beautiful Coins and pic's !!

ProPointer
12-22-2010, 06:13 AM
Thanks Angel,

When did you get an E-Trac? I thought you were still running the ACE?

-PP

Full Metal Digger
12-22-2010, 07:29 AM
When did you get an E-Trac? I thought you were still running the ACE?

-PP

I got my E-trac 3 weeks ago. Didn't you watch my video!!! I took it out twice before we froze up and found some nice old coins.

Carver
12-22-2010, 07:46 AM
Gorgeous coin!!!! Awesome year you've had thumbsup01 thumbsup01

jkress
12-22-2010, 12:02 PM
&quot:beerbuddy:arber Coins .... you weren't kidding! :shocked04:

It really is amazing what still lurks in the ground, just waiting to be found.

Glad you figured it all out. I am sure that I am walking over silver coins without digging them... but I don't think too many get by you.

Congrats, and I hope you are out there adding a few more to your silver mountain as I type. thumbsup01

Stang1968
12-22-2010, 12:23 PM
You're doing well- Now get out there, cut that frost, and find 8 more 90% silvers so that no one can say wartime Jeff's don't count!

Napa Steve
12-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Very nice hunting Angel, you got that E-trac going deep, :clapping: :clapping:

Goat Rancher
12-23-2010, 10:19 PM
Very nice coins............. Congrats. :yes:

jbolf6
11-16-2013, 08:28 AM
Where can I find Angel's pattern? I would love to try it on my Etrac?

Digger Don
11-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Congrats on your hunt. those are some nice silvers

Epi-hunter
11-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Where can I find Angel's pattern? I would love to try it on my Etrac?

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?686-E-Trac-User-Settings-And-Programs&highlight=trac+user+settings