PDA

View Full Version : Whites MXT

Snowy
10-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Starting this thread so those well versed in the MXT operations can share your knowledge here. I love reading up on it and learning more.

OkieDigger
10-25-2009, 06:45 PM
MXT + D2 = AWESOME! The MXT is one of my favorite detectors. The D2 (while hot on bottlecaps) is an excellent coil for finding the deeper silver and seems to hit those on edge coins a little better than the other coils I've used with it.

Epi-hunter
10-25-2009, 07:27 PM
I still want the MXT... I am convinced it is great :)

I have the DFX, it is Angel's that he gave me on loan, and I like it a lot. I don't know how to find deep silver with the DFX.... and I use it now for coinshooting, and I love it for that. It is an awesome machine.... I haven't taken the time to learn its language for deep silver.

MNDigger
10-27-2009, 10:37 AM

I have the DFX, it is Angel's that he gave me on loan, and I like it a lot. I don't know how to find deep silver with the DFX.... and I use it now for coinshooting, and I love it for that. It is an awesome machine.... I haven't taken the time to learn its language for deep silver.

Angie the MXT definately has the edge on the DFX in my opinion on deep silver but now having an E-trac I have to say I would never go back to either on for hunting silver! Finding deep silver with the DFX takes a lot of time and patients. The signals are usually really broken and it can be tough to tell a silver target from junk.

OkieDigger
10-27-2009, 11:31 AM
One of the things I love about the MXT is the sweep speed. It doesn't seem to matter how slow or how fast you go, it can keep up no problem. My only complaints would be its ability to identify deep iron as iron or finding good targets near bad targets. Sometimes we forget it's a single frequency machine and has some limits.

Bentfork
10-31-2009, 09:12 AM
The MXT is an excellent machine. I wouldn't take for mine. I've been using one for near 4 years.

One of the things I love about the MXT is the sweep speed. It doesn't seem to matter how slow or how fast you go, it can keep up no problem.

Roger that!

SeabeeRon
10-31-2009, 06:40 PM
I feel like a real metal detectorist since I got my MXT!! Thank you Lowjiber, Rudy and many others here and on other sites for steering me in this direction! I have to say, when I am ready for my next upgrade, the ETrac sure looks interesting!!! :rolleyes: :tongue:

OkieDigger
10-31-2009, 07:16 PM
I feel like a real metal detectorist since I got my MXT!! Thank you Lowjiber, Rudy and many others here and on other sites for steering me in this direction! I have to say, when I am ready for my next upgrade, the ETrac sure looks interesting!!! :rolleyes: :tongue:

They make the perfect detecting duo!

Eagle 1
11-06-2009, 09:19 PM

HI: Epi-Hunter

I will make this quick being that this is for MXT. I have had a DFX for three years and now I have a V3 love it. Won't go back. Go in to the preset of The DFX it has a deep silver program ready to go try it.

Eagle 1

BOWSER
01-16-2010, 04:54 PM
i use an idx pro and have used an mxt ,for my money the idx pro has a much faster recovery time. I might be wrong but the reason the mxt finds more is that it finds and reports more signals than a silent search unit. I for one am not impressed yet ,the idx pro is dead on when identifying coins and very accurate at pinpointing.jmho jim

Lowjiber
01-17-2010, 11:28 AM
I might be wrong but the reason the mxt finds more is that it finds and reports more signals than a silent search unit. I for one am not impressed yet ,the idx pro is dead on when identifying coins and very accurate at pinpointing.jmho jim

Bowser...I agree that the MXT reports more targets than silent search machines.

I like to run my MXT on the very edge of insanity...Mixed Mode (Alternate Relic) and the Gain as high as possible...given the ground minerialization. The extremely high gain capability of the MXT combined with the famous whispers can really make a considerable difference.

I'm emailing you a little thing I wrote that describes what I'm talking about. I hope it helps.

BerntOut
02-07-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm emailing you a little thing I wrote that describes what I'm talking about. I hope it helps.
[/quote]

Don't leave the rest of us out. Post that little thing you wrote so we all can see!

Tin Nugget
02-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Been using my MXT since 2002. I have tried some others but have not found anything yet I would replace it with. I am interested in the V3 but for now I am sticking with the MXT. I sold my IDX/Pro and Classic ID and kept My F2 for my grandson to use. Most people I run into using an MXT do not take advantage of how hot you can run it, +1 +2 +3 and really don't pay attention to subtle rises and falls in the threshold when there is no VDI so they miss out on some deep stuff. Run it as hot as you can stand it and when you notice a rise and fall in the threshold on a sweep and get no VDI and it's a repeatable rise and fall, use your pinpoint, it will probably be 10 inches or so deep, dig it up!

Snowy
02-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the info on the threshold, Tin! I've actually had that happen and couldn't imagine why I got no VDI on it. I try to run it hot, as well.

As far as the V3 goes, I've heard from a dealer they aren't very user friendly. Not that it isn't a good machine or worth using, just that there are so many things needing attention. I don't think I'll ever buy a V3. And I know I'll never sell my MXT. I might add another detector to the household, though. Some day. Maybe.

SeabeeRon
02-09-2010, 08:48 PM
I thank you for that tip as well Tin! I have noticed that behavior, but have not dug those! Just call me stupid! :confused:

Lowjiber
02-10-2010, 07:08 AM
Most people I run into using an MXT do not take advantage of how hot you can run it, +1 +2 +3 and really don't pay attention to subtle rises and falls in the threshold when there is no VDI so they miss out on some deep stuff. Run it as hot as you can stand it and when you notice a rise and fall in the threshold on a sweep and get no VDI and it's a repeatable rise and fall, use your pinpoint, it will probably be 10 inches or so deep, dig it up!

I totally agree, Tin. I believe in running the MXT on the edge of insanity...deep targets. Below is a little excerpt from a tutorial I put together for a new MXT'er once...

I can’t emphasize enough how much a really good headset will help with the MXT. I use Killer B Ultimas (with leather ear cups). There are others just as good…Ratphones, Jimmy Sierra Maxiphone II’s, etc.

Three Keys to success: The key to whispers lies in the Threshold. The key to discrimination (disc) depth is to get the gain as high as possible in the given soil conditions. The key to using threshold and disc together is to get the machine in a stable, mixed-mode audio configuration that will take advantage of the tremendous power of the MXT.

Below is a quick-n-dirty way to get started with your MXT. Remember, our goal will be to get the machine as stable as possible with a gain setting that’s as high as possible too.

Here's a way to start learning...

1. Put the mode switch in Relic Mode and flip the trigger FORWARD to put the machine in Alternate Relic Mode...leave it there unless you're hunting gold nuggets. (See notes on Alternate Relic Mode below.)

2. Start with the gain set to 10...you're going to move up from there toward 3X. Keep in mind that the settings in the 1X-3X range are orders of magnitude higher in gain. In other words, 1X is ten times as “strong” as a setting of 10 (right next to it on the dial). Depending on your soil conditions, you may not always be able to get the machine stable as you approach 3X…that’s why we’re approaching it slowly.

3. Set the disc to the first triangle (this allows everything except iron)...leave it there.

4. Ground balance the machine per the manual. Before you start the GB function, pull the trigger to ensure that there is nothing below your coil. This is the key to getting the machine stable.

5. Adjust the Threshold so the machine just hums. This hum is the all-metal mode that will let you hear things that are too deep for the machine to accurately identify with a VDI. You'll hear the threshold slightly rise as you pass over one of these deep targets...the famous whispers.

6. Swing the machine a bit and if it's stable...kick the gain up toward 3X about one step (1X, 2X, etc) at a time. As long as it's stable (no jittering, or false VDI's) you're in the MXT Zone.

When you are swinging as described above you are effectively in a mixed mode...all-metal (threshold) and discrimination (VDI). The VDI and the disc tone will be pretty accurate.

Remember, the Voltage Controlled Oscillator (VCO) will cause shallower targets to be louder. That's why you bought a good headset. KB's (and other good headsets) have a limiter switch that keeps a quarter at ground level from knocking your head off when hunting in a high gain configuration.

If you're having a nice stroll and you hear a whisper, immediately crank the gain to 3X (regardless of the noise) and try to get a VDI. (More on this below.)

The MXT is such a favorite because the user can easily adjust threshold, gain, etc. rapidly over a potential target.

Alternate Relic Mode Notes:
It undoubtedly seems strange that I recommend using Alternate Relic Mode (ARM) for everything. You’re probably thinking, “I’m not looking for relics, I’m looking for coins and jewelry.”

ARM is an interesting twist to the MXT. It places the machine in a “mixed mode” audio configuration that allows the user to hear both the all-metal and discrimination signals. We kind of covered this previously, but there is one thing that sometimes bothers new users about ARM when hunting for coins and “bullets, buckles, etc”. :huh: ??

You don’t really care what the target description is anyway. The key is that the VDI number reflects the nature of the target. Quarters are still going to be in the low +80’s and pulltabs are still going to drive you crazy in the lower VDI ranges. It won’t take you long to figure out that nickels are usually in the +18 area; quarters are +82; zincolns are +55; etc.

Stick with ARM…it has some real benefits.

Whisper Notes: Don’t get overly excited about whispers when you’re just starting out…they’re few and far between. However, hunting in ARM with the threshold just humming in the background will give you a depth advantage over those who don’t focus on everything in the headset. Besides, that’s why you bought that $125 set of headphones…might as well use ‘em.

A whisper occurs when the coil passes over a target that is too deep to be accurately identified (via VDI) by the machine’s discrimination function. When the disc is able to correctly give you a VDI reading, you don’t hear the whisper because the disc tone is yelling at you…drowning out the slight rise in threshold.

So, what do you do when you hear a whisper? You’ve got a couple of options, depending on the gain setting…

If your gain is not set at 3X (maximum gain), immediately turn the gain knob fully clockwise. Pay no attention to any strange sounds coming from the MXT…we’re trying to get a VDI reading from the disc channel and could care less about stability at this point. Remember, we already know there’s a deep target under the coil…we just want to see if we can figure out if the target is non-ferrous or not. If you get a VDI that shows something like a coin…dig it. It’s that simple.

If your gain is already set at 3X, I guarantee the target is extremely deep. Turn your dual knob (discrimination function in ARM) into the ferrous range (below the first triangle) and see if you can get a VDI. If you do, the target is iron and it’s up to you whether you want to dig it, or not. If you don’t get an ID then, you’re well advised to dig a hole and recover the target…I guarantee it’s not a pulltab.

In summary, this small glimpse into the world of the MXT is hardly the end of the story regarding the learning process. I trust it gets you familiar with the common terms and their history. The rest is up to you.

Tin Nugget
02-10-2010, 09:39 PM
[quote=Snowy;9477]
Thanks for the info on the threshold, Tin! I've actually had that happen and couldn't imagine why I got no VDI on it. I try to run it hot, as well.]

This is why a good set of headphones are important, I use Ratphones, but any quality headphone like the KillerB's, Grey Ghosts etc will do a great job at picking up those subtle changes in threshold. The MXT knows there is a target there but does not have enough info to provide a VDI.

Lowjiber, thats a great write up! thumbsup01

BerntOut
02-23-2010, 11:41 PM
LoJibber:

I want to thank you very much for the fantastic information you posted regarding deep seeking abilities and settings of the MXT. I got my first Detector, an MXT Dec. 28th, 2009. I have been running my MXT almost like you stated however in coin mode. I never tried advancing the Dual Control to +3-+10 after I find a deep target. After reading your post it was like a light went off in my head. I will start running my MXT in the advanced Relic Mode just like you said. Thanks to you, I now have a much better understanding of my MXT. Now you have to go on and explain how to use the MXT in Prospecting mode because after the thaw, and it should be a good one, I plan on doing a bit of Western Sierra Foothill Prospecting.
Again, thank you for sharing your hard earned wisdom with us ignorant dummies! LOL
Bernt

BerntOut
02-24-2010, 09:28 AM
What I really wanted to say is that I have not advanced the GAIN to +3 - +10 after locating a target... :bop: :bop: :bop: :crying02:

Lowjiber
02-24-2010, 09:38 AM
What I really wanted to say is that I have not advanced the GAIN to +3 - +10 after locating a target... :bop: :bop: :bop: :crying02:

I knew what you meant. Often, my fingers type one thing but my mind is thinking something else. :rolleyes:

I'll work up something on the prospecting mode and post it soon. Meanwhile, do you have a copy of Jeff Foster's book entitled, The MXT Edge? That guy is another Einstein when it comes to metal detectors. You can find it here: http://www.fielddepth.com/tech_book_index.htm

Lucky_c
04-25-2010, 08:55 AM
Thanks for all that, Lowjiber. I'm not clear on one issue. What is the advantage of running in alternate relic instead of standard relic? I usually dig pull tabs to avoid missing gold.

Lowjiber
04-26-2010, 08:20 AM
Thanks for all that, Lowjiber. I'm not clear on one issue. What is the advantage of running in alternate relic instead of standard relic? I usually dig pull tabs to avoid missing gold.
Good question, that.

The alternate (switch forward) function in Coin & Jewelry mode is completely different from the alternate function in relic mode.

In C&J mode, the switch forward serves as a notch that eliminates many of the VDI numbers (+28 to +49), and the user will indeed miss opportunities to dig gold targets that reside along with the dreaded pull tabs. (Personally, I would never hunt the MXT in Alternate C&J mode for the very reason you described above.)

However, the alternate switch position in Relic Mode serves a completely different function. Simply stated, Relic Mode has no notch. The setting of the Dual Control knob determines the audio response. Set it on 3 and you will always get a response to any VDI above zero, regardless of the position of the trigger. The function of the trigger in relic mode is basically designed to change the speed of the Self-Adjusting-Threshold (S.A.T.).

The ground where I hunt (California, Nevada & Arizona) is very minerialized and can literally change under your coil from one side of the swing to the other. Since I prefer hunting the MXT on the edge of insanity and depend on the threshold for whispers, it is important to me that the S.A.T functions fast (Alternate Relic mode) to stabilize the insanity that is going on in my headset.

(I should note here that a slow swing speed in normal Relic mode will produce similar results. However, there is another advantage to the alternate mode that I particularly like...described below.)

In Primary Relic mode (switch in middle position), VDI's above the level determined by the Dual Control knob give off a high-pitched sound and those below give off a low-pitched sound.

In Alternate Relic mode (switch forward), all VDI's below the Dual Control set point are silent. VDI's at, or above, the Dual Control set point are broken down...high pitch for non-ferrous targets and low pitch for ferrous targets.

Since there are a lot of things going on when hunting on the edge of insanity, I like the additional organization of the low/high sounds that the alternate position provides.

I hope I've answered your question. In my initial posting above, I've tried to provide a basis for pushing the MXT to its limits. As experience and hunting locations change, the user will (hopefully) go beyond my initial suggestions.