PDA

View Full Version : Having issues with new SEF 10x12

ab1
12-20-2010, 12:35 PM
I am new to this forum. I have a Whites DFX, I just purchased a new 10x12 SEF coil. I went out today a gave it a try. It is certainly a lot different than my other coils.

BTW i only use the relic program.

First issue: It was unable to ground balance after about 1 hr of use and kept going back to the preset program. All I did was bump the pregain to 3 and the AC to 68.

Second Issue: PINPOINTING!! Either I am way off or the coil is off. Any ideas on helping me pinpoint better?

And finally- Could you point me to any custom relic programs that might help or advise on some adjustments to the current relic program?

Mike

del
12-20-2010, 02:05 PM
I am new to this forum. I have a Whites DFX, I just purchased a new 10x12 SEF coil. I went out today a gave it a try. It is certainly a lot different than my other coils.

BTW i only use the relic program.

First issue: It was unable to ground balance after about 1 hr of use and kept going back to the preset program. All I did was bump the pregain to 3 and the AC to 68.

Second Issue: PINPOINTING!! Either I am way off or the coil is off. Any ideas on helping me pinpoint better?

And finally- Could you point me to any custom relic programs that might help or advise on some adjustments to the current relic program?

Mike

well first Mike , hello and welcome to the forum . from experiences i've had with the dfx it seems the bigger the coil the more you have to turn down the pre-amp and ac sensitivity or you get the unable to ground balance sound . although i've never used the 10x12 sef coil so i'm not real familiar with its characteristics or the pinpoint mode but it is a double d coil and the hot spot should be a narrow strip from top to bottom and inline with the shaft .i have used the 12 super coil which is a pretty good coil for open areas with not alot of trash but it seem you had to have great conditions to really open the settings up and then you could get some very decent depth .i've also used the large 9x14 it is a monster very heavy and you would be extremely lucky to get an a.c. higher than 68 and forget about a preamp higher than 2 because it would also not ground balance . both coils seem to be more for coverage instead of depth but with better results comming from the 12 inch.the regular relic program is an alright one to start with but i recommend tweaking it to get better results in your area i myslf use a custom relic program that i've developed for my part of the country for detecting old colonial cellar foundations and fields that gets pretty good depth with the 6x10 coil and the standard 950 coil that have me finding coins and musket balls at 10 inches and better.

hey what specific type of hunting are you doing down in Georgia Mike :huh:

Dan

ab1
12-20-2010, 02:12 PM
90% of the time i am relic hunting.

del
12-20-2010, 03:15 PM
sent you a pm Mike

coinnut
12-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Hey Mike, just wondering if you got the unable to ground balance message because there were too few minerals in the soil to ground balance:huh: It may not be a coil issue, but a very good soil issue?? Just a thought. Welcome here from another relic hunter thumbsup01