PDA

View Full Version : My avatar

BillZ
11-25-2009, 12:17 PM
My Avatar is a pic of a 1765 half Reale that I found on the Delaware coast a couple of weeks ago after the recent Nor-Easter. I honestly wasn't sure what it was until I got home later that day and looked at it closely. Before this, I hadn't found anything pre 1900's .

Close up here
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii112/BillZBub68/IMG_1240-1.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii112/BillZBub68/IMG_1241-1.jpg

ID pic I found on the web:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii112/BillZBub68/spanishcoin.jpg

Poll: Should I clean it a little bit to bring out some of the detail? I don't think it is worth a whole lot in it's present condition and plan to keep it for display.

Dave
11-25-2009, 12:20 PM
That's a really nice find! I would leave an old coin like that just the way it is to display it.

Jason in Enid
11-25-2009, 12:21 PM
That's an awesome way to break the 1900 barier! You know, there are ways to bring that coin back from the black without removing any of the metal.

coinnut
11-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Nice find. There are a couple of us colonial hunters here. I bet you were really happy when you ID'd that Half Reale. It is a bit older that your previous oldest coin thumbsup01 As far as cleaning it?? I'd practice on some junk coins with a bit of reverse electrolysis before I'd clean that one. Don't rush it, no need to hurry. If anyone from the forum lives close enough to you and has used electrolysis on silver, maybe they can give you a hand. Sometimes there may be pits hidden under that black, that you may not want to see when cleaned. But a great find, even encrusted. What a piece of history!!

OkieDigger
11-25-2009, 12:28 PM
That's a great find! I'd love to find some of that old Spanish silver. Seems like lots of people have been finding them lately.

angellionel
11-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Beautiful coin Bill! You have yourself a piece of history, and reason enough to be proud for making such an excellent find.

MNDigger
11-25-2009, 12:33 PM
Very cool find! I don't know if I would clean it or not. :confused:

Islandhunter
11-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Now that is what I call breaking the 1999's barrier with style! Congrats!! I would be leary of using electrolosis on any silver coin...but I don;t know alot about it. I would leave it as is but if you must clean it I would use a gentle silver polish and soak it and gently polish it and repeat as needed. Usually once salt water has it's way with a metal then the damage is done and not reverseable and using a polish or any other cleaning method may cause you to lose what details you can see on it.

Jason in Enid
11-25-2009, 01:05 PM
I guess you've never seen what they do with the coins from the Atocha and other wrecks. No pits, no encrustation. But they aren't rushing the process either.

coinnut
11-25-2009, 01:35 PM
Yea, reverse electrolysis is probably the best way to go on some deep ocean finds. I think yours probably qualifies for that catagory lol But some finds from the beach can really take a beating, especially from the sand and wave action. Usually the ones that are tossed around repeatedly are pitted and worn out. I've had clad dimes that are barely recognizable. I believe the ones that are encrusted (like yours is) are the ones that will clean up well. Someone with more electrolysis beach experience, please chime in :confused: Those guys from Mel Fisher's team can really show you what experience and knowledge can do for you. I would love to see them in action!!

del
11-25-2009, 02:33 PM
very cool coin Billz and congrats on it being your oldest coin

hoser
11-26-2009, 04:04 AM
Very cool indeed. I wouldn't clean it at all. Display it as it is.

bmattioli
11-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Very nice coin. I would take my time with a cleaning if you chose to. Nothing wrong with keeping it as is. Great find!

RickO
11-26-2009, 06:32 PM
Super find... recommend you start with some acetone... let it soak a while (covered)... see if that does anything.... after that try a potato for a while... then maybe olive oil... just watch carefully as it progresses. RickO

Krom
11-29-2009, 12:54 AM
Good for you, Bill!
Here... you got this comin':