PDA

View Full Version : Small coil advice...

jkress
12-21-2010, 02:22 PM
I plan on getting a small coil for next year. On more than one occasion this year, I came across ground that was just too populated with metal objects for the stock 11 coil.

I have narrowed my choices down to three coils... The Sunray 5, the Sunray 8 or the 8x6 SEF.

Love to hear what you all have to say. Especially if any of you have experience with any of these.

I'm kind of leaning towards the 5 or the 8x6 right now for surgically removing the goodies from heavy trash.

Thanks!

hobbes_lives
12-21-2010, 02:39 PM
I have a Sun Ray X-5 on the way, just ordered it today. I don't have experience with any of the coils that you've mentioned, but I can tell you that I couldn't live without the small coils on my other detectors. I have a Sniper for my Ace 250, a BlueMax 600 for my Eagle Spectrum and an Eclipse 5.3 for my MXT. It's incredible what a good-quality small coil can do in a trashy area, and I do mean incredible.

coinnut
12-21-2010, 05:43 PM
The 6x8 is a nice coil. I had it for a bit, but I wanted a very, very small footprint. The 6x8 was a bit taller than I wanted for what type of hunting I do. That is why I chose the 5 (actually 5.5 I think) Sunray coil for cellar holes. I do not have the 8 Sunray. If you are doing parks, it may be better for someone that does them, to see how the 6x8 performs there. But I don't think you would lose with any of them choices though. Whichever coil you get, after using it a while, you would find the tricks to using it. It's not mentioned much in posts, but every new coil has a learning curve, just like any new machine does, although it's a much quicker curve. Learn which ever coil you have, and the finds will increase. I can say this, I won't leave home without my Sunray x-5 though lol

jkress
12-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks for your input guys... appreciate it. thumbsup01

The 5 just seems like a logical choice for cutting through trash. I figure if I am going smaller... then go all the way small. It sounds like it has some decent depth capabilities for a coil that small.

The 6x8, from what I have read, is a nice small coil with excellent separation.

I do have a the sniper coil for my Ace... but I never really gave it a chance I guess.

Am I correct in assuming that 6 is the search area on the 8x6 SEF? Or is it an 8 search area?

Thanks again,
Joe

coinnut
12-22-2010, 12:17 PM
Am I correct in assuming that 6 is the search area on the 8x6 SEF? Or is it an 8 search area?

Thanks again,
Joe

It's 8 tall and 6 wide. A perfect coil for some tighter areas, but for extreme trash the 5.5 is 2 1/2 inches shorter. The 8 measurement does not change, but the 6 narrows down to about 2 inches or so. That is due to the overlap of the double D coil. So that is why it has great separation from left to right. But it's still around 8 from top to bottom.

jkress
12-22-2010, 12:42 PM
It's 8 tall and 6 wide. A perfect coil for some tighter areas, but for extreme trash the 5.5 is 2 1/2 inches shorter. The 8 measurement does not change, but the 6 narrows down to about 2 inches or so. That is due to the overlap of the double D coil. So that is why it has great separation from left to right. But it's still around 8 from top to bottom.

... so the 8x6 should more accurately be compared to the 8 Sun Ray coil?... for search area size. :confused:

Thanks coinnut.

coinnut
12-22-2010, 12:53 PM
... so the 8x6 should more accurately be compared to the 8 Sun Ray coil?... for search area size. :confused:

Thanks coinnut.

Yep, pretty much since the 8 Sunray is a DD coil also. The only thing is that you can't see the overlap of the coils like you can with the SEF coil. But I bet it's pretty close to the SEF in width of detection. Another consideration is how hot you can run that coil sensitivity wise. I can run my 5 Sunray coil wide open, but my 12 Sunray coil has to be knocked down a bit. If you get a chance to borrow someone's coil, do it. I had the 15x12 SEF and I was amazed at the quietness of that coil in my area. So test what you can before you buy, if possible.

jkress
12-22-2010, 01:06 PM
....hmmm. Lots of good info to digest. :yes:

Maybe I could talk Dave into getting a 5 and a 8x6 so I can test them. lol

Now I'm kind of leaning towards the 5 Sun Ray. Just like the two of you originally suggested. :)

Come on spring... or at least a good thaw to remove this 14 inches of snow that is sitting on top of the ground right now.

coinnut
12-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Maybe I could talk Dave into getting a 5 and a 8x6 so I can test them. lol

Now that's the best idea I heard all day rofl Might as well have him get the 8 Sunray while he is at it ;)

John S
12-29-2010, 02:47 PM
I had the 8x6 but didn't like it much ( just me) , but I use the x5 sunray coil all the time on the etrac. You can get a dime at about 7 and can run the sen. a little higher . I sure the x8 would be a very good coil. I may not work as good in the trash as the x5 :huh:thinkingabout:?

jkress
12-29-2010, 11:05 PM
Thanks John.

Yeah... I think I have all but settled on the 5 inch. I figured I obviously want it for the trashy spots and the 5 inch will find anything the 8 inch will, but the 8 might not necessarily find everything the 5 will... in heavy trash.

Thanks for your thought on the 8x6. I appreciate it.