PDA

View Full Version : Wheats and a Ring

z118
11-25-2009, 05:12 PM
Made an effort to get out of my comfort zone today and hit some old parks looking for silver. I'm not a big fan of parks - too much junk, and for that reason I am typically a school yard hunter. At any rate, I quickly hit a couple of tot lots first thing this morning and then an old park a few towns over that I had hunted once before. During that last hunt I scored a nice coin spill comprised of three wheat pennies, the oldest being 1909.

As I got started I remembered why I don't like parks - the Sov nulled left and right, and when it wasn't nulling it was signaling almost nonstop on junk. I like to dig it all, or at least as much as I can stand, but this is obviously impossible when you get a junk signal every two feet. So I went against my instinct and listened only for faint, high tones. The first one I decided to dig was a nice 1937 wheat. That seemed like a good sign, but you never know. And sure enough, the hunt went on and I landed 6 more deep wheats and NO SILVER! On the bright side I scored a nice vintage Weather Bird ring which apparently was some kind of swag for a brand of children's shoes back in the 50's.

If nothing else it was good to expand my horizon a bit. I can't stay in school yards forever, so I'd better start easing myself into parks. I will certainly hit this one again, though maybe not until spring. I find it impossible to believe that I could find 10 wheats in two hunts and that there is no silver there still to be found.

Total for the day was 97 coins worth $6.84, including the wheats.

Happy Hunting!

Epi-hunter
11-25-2009, 05:23 PM
After your last experience with parks I thought you might buy a tent and move into one lol But I hear you... parks can be frustrating, and I don't like people around.

Nice job on the deep wheats... might be worth hitting again. I love that ring!

z118
11-25-2009, 05:27 PM
After your last experience with parks I thought you might buy a tent and move into one lol But I hear you... parks can be frustrating, and I don't like people around.

Well, it's mostly BECAUSE of that hunt that made me give a park a try today. :) And yes, that's the other nice thing about school yards - much fewer people than parks, especially when I tend to hunt. I sure as heck don't go metal detecting to meet people, you know? Quite the opposite in fact!

OkieDigger
11-25-2009, 05:44 PM
A park with wheats? What a pleasure that would be to hunt. lol Nice digs.

bmattioli
11-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Great job Z.. nice looking ring I like that one.. Parks are my fav then schools.. The people can be quite interesting at times but I just keep going..

marchas45
11-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Nice collection of Wheaties and ring, I tend to do parks in the afternoon but I do the outskirts of them so that I don't see to many people or them me and early morning when hopefully their not around to do the center. Also I get lot's of experience trying not to pick up the junk.

angellionel
11-25-2009, 06:31 PM
That park is screaming for sectioning and gridding - you know, the painful stuff. lol I'll go on a limb here, but there has to be silver at that park. :grin: I like that ring too. It's a very cool vintage find. Nice digs!

coinnut
11-25-2009, 06:53 PM
There are many times you can get lots of wheats and no silver. I have done this many a time at private homes :crying02: But there are also other times where I get 3 or 4 silvers and just a couple of wheats. The solution is to just keep looking and not give up lol I know, not very scientific, but it does work. Good luck at that park, it will give up some silver.

MNDigger
11-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Nice haul Z! Congrats on the wheats and interesting ring!

del
11-25-2009, 07:40 PM
good group of wheats Z and nice unusual old ring.

hoser
11-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Nice finds Z. Love the old weather bird ring. thumbsup01

Dave
11-25-2009, 08:42 PM
Z-man! Nice dig's. I have to agree with the others about the silver. It has to be there. The weather bird ring is a super cool find!

Jason in Enid
11-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Great finds. That ring is really cool. I bet if you suffer through it some more you can pull some silver from there.