PDA

View Full Version : clad/modern coins

deltacornbread
11-25-2009, 07:02 PM
Favorite recipes for cleaning modern coins?

coinnut
11-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Are we talking junk clads and Memorials?? Then it would be to tumble them (copper and clad separately). For coins that have little or no value, I just use a wire brass brush (with dish soap) for the coppers and nickles. The good stuff I do as little as possible. Silver I just run under water until all the dirt is off, then I gently rub it with just my fingers to even out the color.

Jason in Enid
11-25-2009, 08:15 PM
Clad gets tossed into the tumbler with a handful of fish gravel and a few drops of dish soap. Come out not and clean and ready for the bank coin counter.

deltacornbread
11-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Thanks. I should have been more specific. Favorite method besides tumbler.

Dave
11-25-2009, 09:57 PM
Most of the time I just use soap and water and clean the dirt off. But here is another way to clean your clad fill a container 1/4 full with sand add about twenty clad coins and fill with water, shake well.

deltacornbread
11-25-2009, 10:21 PM
Most of the time I just use soap and water and clean the dirt off. But here is another way to clean your clad fill a container 1/4 full with sand add about twenty clad coins and fill with water, shake well.

Dat's de kinda ideas I was talking about! :)
Now, why didn't I think of this. Makes perfect sense. Easy. :grin:

marchas45
11-28-2009, 11:36 AM
Put your clad in a plastic container (1/2 Gallon Milk Jug) with vinegar and salt and shake a little bit. For really stained coins leave over night. Remove and rinse with fresh water and dry. Do not I repeat do not put silver in with the cents as they will be turned orange always do silver or silver clad separately and not in the same wash that was used for the cents. This Method Is Good For Coins Being Returned To The Bank
The above method is usually quick and easy but could stain your clothes if you’re not careful.
**** Remember Valuble Coins Should Be Cleaned By Experts Not By You Unless Your'e An Expert. **** thumbsup01

Stang1968
12-03-2009, 03:03 PM
My bank is used to getting blackened quarters and dimes as well as red nickels from me :)

sectshun8
12-04-2009, 07:25 AM
Since you don't wanna go the tumbler route... for a quick clean, just a plastic container with a lid, a little soap, some water, and a vigorous shake for a few minutes usually will get 'em coinstar clean :grin:

RickO
12-13-2009, 04:28 PM
The easiest method is to put the coins in a sock and secure the end with a tie wrap or some such thing. Then toss it in the laundry with a load of wash. When done, your coins will be clean and ready to spend. RickO

hoser
12-15-2009, 12:31 PM
Other than tumbling I use soap and water with an old tooth brush for the clad. If I have a wheat I use hot peroxide to clean the crud off of it and it dosen't seem to hurt the coin either. I do like the idea of putting coins in a sock and then into the wash. Wonder how long before my wife notices one of her socks missing. Well can't use mine, the coins fall out the hole in the toe. lol

woodwizard
12-15-2009, 01:17 PM
I like RickO's idea bet they make racket in dryer.usually if I'm cleaning them up just for spending or coinstar etc. I hit them with the wire wheel attached to the bench grinder in shop-hold with pliers,only takes a few seconds per side per coin.do not use this for collectable coins