PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Headphones for E-trac

Beefcake
12-29-2010, 03:46 PM
This is pretty cool... My buddy Tim and I were talking and I was telling him that a few years back I remembered a reference to wireless headphones from Radio shack. Well, he went down and checked to see if they have anything of the sort. Well, they do. They are made by Auvio and sell for about $75. He got to talking to the fella that worked there about a transmitter, because all he saw was the big bulky one for in-home use. He showed him one that is made to plug into an MP3 player that is about the size of a zippo lighter. All he had to do was buy the 1/4 adapter and plugged it in to the back of the E-trac. It sticks out about 1 1/2, but not bad at all. Radioshack gives a replacement if it should break too! I got to try them out today and I gotta say that it is pretty sweet! The headphones sound great and are quite comfortable. Only issue I might have, is that they may only transmit in one frequency and I don't know if I could hunt within 30 ft of him if we were both to use them. Either way it works great and looks pretty sweet too!

angellionel
12-29-2010, 04:53 PM
Hey Brian, I'll be looking forward to your reports on the headphones' performance. Keep us posted!

Full Metal Digger
12-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the info. I noticed the cord for the KOSS headphones is very tightly curled and doesn't have much play. I have started taking them off when I dig because they pulled too hard even with the ET right next to me. Wireless would be a real treat!

Beefcake
12-29-2010, 05:52 PM
Yeah, the Koss ones that you get with the ET are pretty awful. Way to short of a chord and no volume control. I thought they were going to blow my head off. I kept my white's headphones from my DFX and use them still. I looked for the wireless ones from radioshack online, but they don't have the same stuff as in the store. He talked to the person working there and he hooked him up with what he needed for metal detecting. They sound real good and can use rechageable batteries. The headphones were lightweight and didn't pinch at all. He has used them on two different hunts now and really likes them. The headphones work in stereo too so the sounds are nice and clear in both ears.

little man
12-29-2010, 06:15 PM
hey got buddy that use them they work real good go from one metal det to the other he love them

coinnut
12-29-2010, 06:59 PM
Hey Brian, any delay in the signal on them headphones? I always thought the E trac was a bit slow in the audio department lol That comes from me using a DFX for so long, as I was always used to a sharp, fast hit . So I wouldn't want any delay on them at all. Do you have a catalog # or a model number on them? This is something I always wanted to try, but never trusted the different choices. I'm a I gotta hear them to believe them kinda guy lol Nice to see that you like them thumbsup01 I'd love to get the Radio Shack guys to test one for me out here. Thanks for that post :clapping:

Beefcake
12-29-2010, 09:11 PM
I didn't notice any delay in the reaction any different than the normal headphones. I'll have to ask Tim if he has ever noticed it. I don't have any #'s for it. I'm pretty sure they are made by Auvio. I didn't see the same stuff on the website, but the folks at the store seemed more than willing to help Tim out.

RaZR
12-29-2010, 09:49 PM
These are the replacement for the older radio Shack wireless phones that i use on my DFX. I heard about them from GoatRancher on the white's forum and got them on E-bay. They work great for my DFX and are lightweight behind the head phones. I got mine for about $44.00/ headphones,charger and transmitter. Then got the adaptor and an extension cable with volume adjustment also at Radio Shack. I can't find the numbers right now but i know they're available and can get them.

Goat Rancher
12-29-2010, 09:50 PM
The wireless headphones from Radio Shack are great. I have been using then for years. There is no delay if you get the right ones. DO NOT GET BLUETOOTH !! Bluetooth has a delay. The ones I use will work on any detector. My detector has wireless capability, but I have never used it as I like the Radio Shack ones.

Here is my set up:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r211/goatrancher/Treasure%20Hunting/Vision_Wireless.jpg

This is what you need:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r211/goatrancher/Treasure%20Hunting/WirelessSet-up-1.jpg

This is the new model (Model 33-0283) from Radio Shack to replace the one I am using:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r211/goatrancher/Treasure%20Hunting/DSC00451-1.jpg

RaZR
12-29-2010, 10:05 PM
I tried to find that post, but..... Anyhow i knew you would come to the rescue! :stretcher:
I had the number for the headphones on a piece of paper plate upstairs. :crazy:
But you were too fast 4 me.

Thanx Goat Rancher

Goat Rancher
12-29-2010, 10:10 PM
I think you and I were posting at the same time RaZR because I had to wait to post the pics. One thing for sure.......you can vouch to what I am saying about them. I have converted several guys on the other forum to them.

Beefcake
12-29-2010, 11:16 PM
The one in the blue box is what Tim is using... Thanks for the pics!! The transmitter is pretty small and doesn't seem to get in the way.

Ill Digger
12-30-2010, 12:04 AM
Oh boy !! Just what I was wanting !!
I agree with you guys. The Koss headphones, like Beefcake said ,about blow your head off !! :shocked04: lol And the cord is about 5 inches too short :mad:
I'm going to have to give those things a try. Of course it will have to wait till spring :crying02: :frozen:
Thanks for the info Brian !!
Happy New Year !! :beerbuddy:

milco
12-30-2010, 12:13 AM
Looks like I'll be buying another new toy in the spring! Nice tip guys!

RaZR
12-30-2010, 09:37 AM
They are light and comfortable. And on hot days your ears don't cook. Plus the sound is great. I'll be using mine on the V3 when it's hot out. These work with the prizm III too!

coinnut
12-30-2010, 10:07 AM
Thanks Beefcake, Goat Rancher, RazR and everyone for getting that info on the wireless headphones. I will be doing that in the Spring (or sooner lol). I'm assuming it's better to get rechargeable batteries, since they probably drain batteries fairly quick (I hunt anywhere from 7-13 hours a day, depending on the seaon). Thanks again guys.

Bedrock
12-30-2010, 12:35 PM
That is definitely worth a try this spring. Very interesting indeed.

RaZR
12-30-2010, 01:38 PM
Thanks Beefcake, Goat Rancher, RazR and everyone for getting that info on the wireless headphones. I will be doing that in the Spring (or sooner lol). I'm assuming it's better to get rechargeable batteries, since they probably drain batteries fairly quick (I hunt anywhere from 7-13 hours a day, depending on the seaon). Thanks again guys.

These have the rechargable batteries inside. (the older set at least) I'm not sure about the newer ones. There is a charging unit with them that plugs on to the phones and the sending unit and charges both. If the batteries fail you can take them in to RS and have them replaced.

Spiderwort
01-02-2011, 05:41 PM
I've been using the gray and white wireless set up in the pictures above for the last two years. It came with a charger that plugs in both the transmitter and headset a the same time. They seem to work ok for me. Maybe a little loose on the ears when the wind is blowing. Other than that I haven't had any problems. Bets the heck out of getting wrapped up in a cord. I do like the way you have the transmitter mounted on the case. Mine is currently dangling off the plug. Never though of the potential for losing it or the possible damage if hit against an obstruction.

RaZR
01-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Three velcro spots hold mine on! I love em!!

Goat Rancher
01-03-2011, 12:18 AM

The batteries are built in and rechargable. I have not had a battery failure yet and I have used one set for 3-4 years now. I get a good 8+ hours hunting and if I am going to hunt longer I have a cigarette lighter style
plug-in inverter so I can charge them in my vehicle while taking a break or driving to the next hunting spot. I have 3 sets of the first ones in my pics above. I have bought a couple off of eBay for around $25.

Ill Digger
01-14-2011, 09:27 PM
OK I broke down and got a pare of the AVUIO's tonite. They are nice and light.
Now I'm going to have to get out there and try'em out :twirlingeyes:
Thanks for the info Brian thumbsup01

bottleCap Mining Corp
01-14-2011, 11:51 PM
Im drooling thats nice, :yes: :yes: I Hate my headphones.

Will these work any any detector? ..............In my case Im using a MXT.

Beefcake
01-15-2011, 12:35 AM
Yes... they will work with any detector.

russellt
01-15-2011, 06:28 PM
i have never really been a headphones guy. i do wear the headphones if its cold outside .. i do like the cordless headphones that came with the V. theyre comfy . might even wear em tomorrow. the snow is thawing and the wife and kid are in hawaii :clapping:

IDXit
01-15-2011, 10:43 PM
I have also been using the RS Wireless Stereo Headphones now for the past six months with my MXT Pro. I have over two hundred hours on them and they work great... I use the 33-1253 set that has been discontinued...however there are still a few sets available at some of the RS stores.... thumbsup01 thumbsup01 They are light weight, comfortable, whith no noticable delay and no dangly cord.... Also required are ; one - 8 inch (20.3 cm) volume control headphone extension cord #42-2559 ...and... one- 1/4(6.3mm) Stereo male to 1/8(3.5mm) Mono Female Adapter #274-876 (1-3/4 length) ..or.. #274-363 (2-1/4 length).... Both Adapters are the same except one is 1/2 inch longer than the other... thumbsup01 thumbsup01 ... I use the gold plated #274-876 Adapter..... I even purchased an extra set as a backup set..... thumbsup01 thumbsup01 .. They really are nice to wear...JMHO... <: I wish you well and happy hunting out there.... :interesting: :interesting: :interesting: