PDA

View Full Version : My 2010 year in review

coinnut
12-31-2010, 12:26 AM
I'm gonna keep it simple this year and condense some of my finds. I had another great year and I can't show all the individual relics and coins that are special to me. Some of my finds are: 268 flat buttons, 38 Large Coppers, 1 very damaged lol GW Inagural Button, 34 silvers, 2 war nickles, 3buffs, 1 V, 3 Shield nickels, 3 two cent pieces, 17 Indians, 3 Flying Eagle cents, 102 1/2 Wheats, $46.44 in clad rofl, and a ton of colonial and post colonial relics and triple that in trash :yes: I hope everyone had a great year. Here's some of the pics.

cliffy
12-31-2010, 01:18 AM
Congrats.... I see some excellent recoveries! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Ill Digger
12-31-2010, 01:32 AM
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
Sweet !!
Either I've missed some posts or you've been holding out on us !! :thinkingabout:
I'll admit I don't always check the relic section :embarrassed: :dontknow:
Great year !!
You've found some awesome pieces !!
Congrats & Good luck in 2011 thumbsup01 :grin:

angellionel
12-31-2010, 01:34 AM
You definitely had a great year George. It really is amazing how many old buttons can be found at cellar holes. :shocked04: That is a very nice variety of finds, and I know you have many other sweet finds not posted above. I didn't pick up any flying eagle cents this year. You should have left in the ground one of the three you found so I could find it. lol

Congrats! I wish you another very successful new year! thumbsup01

giant056
12-31-2010, 01:35 AM
You had a great year for sure thumbsup01

randy
12-31-2010, 06:46 AM
Pretty lame year in clad man :poke: lol Seriously tho, awesome year :clapping: :cheering: and here's to an even better one next year :beerbuddy:

Carver
12-31-2010, 08:17 AM
That is a great bunch of finds for sure thumbsup01 thumbsup01 :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Epi-hunter
12-31-2010, 11:23 AM
Just amazing George :shocked04: :shocked04: :cheering: I would kill for just a few of those incredible finds.

I can't believe you found $46 in clad at cellar holes lol

pulltabsteve
12-31-2010, 12:36 PM
Great saves George! You had an outstanding year. More good luck for you in 2011 :clapping:

wheresthegoodstuff
12-31-2010, 01:04 PM
Awsome finds, wish they had some of that older stuff here in California.

del
12-31-2010, 01:17 PM
George , what can i say :dontknow: i was with you on most of those great finds . your large copper total (39) :happydance01: was astonishing especially considering you gave up alot of your free detecting time to volunteer for the Peqot Indian Museum ( which by the way the brass point should be in this post as well) , you found the very first brass kettle Indian arrow point from the very historic 1637 Pequot War battle site. :peace: which was a beautiful piece by the way you found you first nova constellatio coin thumbsup01 your first war of 1812 era button thumbsup01 another GW button this year thumbsup01 thumbsup01 one of the best standing liberty quarters i ever seen dug :clapping: a great number of really nice relics . you had one heck of a great year i'm glad i was there to share it with you friend , congrats George .

p.s. i ain't taking it easy on you next year old man . lol lol rofl

Dan

coinnut
12-31-2010, 01:41 PM
Thanks everyone. Sometimes I forget all the good finds until reviewing them at the end of the year lol

I didn't pick up any flying eagle cents this year. You should have left in the ground one of the three you found so I could find it. lol

Umm... NO Angel lol MY flying eagles :bop: :bop: :bop: I'm sure that with this years new system, you should find some of your own. They usually read around 12-25. I don't think you were very focused on that number last year lol

Either I've missed some posts or you've been holding out on us !! :thinkingabout:
I'll admit I don't always check the relic section :embarrassed: :dontknow:

Not reading our relic posts aye? :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :bop: :bop: :bop: lol They are kinda boring if you are not into relics. ;) I'll have more coin stuff this year as I plan on hunting a couple times a week. More park stuff hopefully :rolleyes:

Pretty lame year in clad man :poke:

I can't believe you found $46 in clad at cellar holes lol

It is pretty lame Randy lol Angie, most of that clad count was from park hunting w/ Angel. At least I got something for the beatings I took :blackeye:

George , what can i say :dontknow: i was with you on most of those great finds . your large copper total (39) :happydance01: was astonishing especially considering you gave up alot of your free detecting time to volunteer for the Peqot Indian Museum ( which by the way the brass point should be in this post as well) , you found the very first brass kettle Indian arrow point from the very historic 1637 Pequot War battle site. :peace: which was a beautiful piece by the way you found you first nova constellatio coin thumbsup01 your first war of 1812 era button thumbsup01 another GW button this year thumbsup01 thumbsup01 one of the best standing liberty quarters i ever seen dug :clapping: a great number of really nice relics . you had one heck of a great year i'm glad i was there to share it with you friend , congrats George .

p.s. i ain't taking it easy on you next year old man . lol lol rofl

Dan

Thanks Dan. I hope you know I won't be holding back this coming year rofl I have good feelings about our finds come Spring. :clapping: You had one heck of a year too. We do pretty good for a couple of guys that just get out once a week :yes: Here's a picture of both points from the Pequot Hunt @ 1637. HH everyone :beerbuddy:

sniffy
12-31-2010, 01:54 PM
What an extrordinary display of metal that you detected this year. :cheering: :cheering: Awesome year man!

Evan/tn
12-31-2010, 02:05 PM
Those are Awesome finds :loveit:
2010 was good to you hope next year is even better!

odave
12-31-2010, 09:05 PM
Congratulations on a great Year George !! awesome bunch of finds <: <:

Napa Steve
01-01-2011, 12:42 AM
Thats what Im talking about :drool: you had one heck of a year on the oldies :clapping:

Nitro 54
01-01-2011, 12:52 AM
:shocked04:stretcher: :shocked04:stretcher: I can only dream of having a year like yours thumbsup01 thumbsup01 <: <: <:

wild willy
01-01-2011, 04:49 PM
hey george im watching a show on the pequot indian war! pretty intresting of something i new nothing about. nice spear head bud. :peace: willy

leslie(nova scotia)
01-01-2011, 04:51 PM
From the land of the Bluenose....good assortment of finds for the year. Love the buttons! :cheering:

Salty Dog
01-01-2011, 05:20 PM
What an awsome year you had,Now i have to go back and visit some of your post,to experiance them first hand,Thanks for sharing,Dave

IDXit
01-05-2011, 01:06 PM
WTG, very good finds for the year....Awesome digs... thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01

M-Taliesin
01-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Howdy Amigo!
Looks like you had a pretty darn good year for yourself.
Nice going, and way to git 'er done!

Keep that coil to the soil, because you have a whole new year ahead of you to up the ante!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-26-2011, 07:14 AM
very impressive G! as usual thumbsup01

Civil War Nut
01-26-2011, 08:31 AM
Now thats nice. Cnut. I might learn how to dance if I had a place like that to hunt.

bmattioli
01-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Very impressive year George, hope to bump into ya one of these days at a park.. Bet your wishing as well that this snow we got this year could just vanish..

Carver
01-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Wow George!!! I looked closer at your relics,,,,,impressive!!!!! Very nice year for sure!!!!

coinnut
01-26-2011, 09:04 PM
Now thats nice. Cnut. I might learn how to dance if I had a place like that to hunt.

Thanks CWN. You don't realize how fast these relics pile up until the year is over. But we are getting a late start this year. I would have been detecting at least 3 or 4 times already. :angry:

Very impressive year George, hope to bump into ya one of these days at a park..

Hey Bruce, thanks. I bet we do meet up at a park since I'm gonna try and do some more of that type of hunting this year. I need to get more clad so I don't end up with under $50.00 again lol

Wow George!!! I looked closer at your relics,,,,,impressive!!!!! Very nice year for sure!!!!

Thanks Carver. I didn't do a lot of close ups this year for some reason. :dontknow: We are spoiled here in New England. After a while you only do a partial happy dance when you pull out an old copper. But I would dance like a chicken in a hot bowl of soup, if I found a gold coin lol :cheering:

jkress
01-26-2011, 11:34 PM
:shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04:

That is a very impressive year of incredible finds. :peace:

I remember many of these posted and just drooled viewing them individually.

Your copper count is incredible. One of my favorites was the silver cane handle and, of course, it goes without say, :shocked04: on the GW!!!

Awesome year.

pipster
01-27-2011, 12:26 AM
great haul thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01 nice group of old coppers as well as the buttons

Beefcake
01-27-2011, 03:27 PM
Congrats on the awesome year George!!! You find some of the best relics I've ever seen. One of these years when I'm a full fledged teacher I'm gonna take a trip up to the NE to hunt with you guys!

greg
01-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Man you have some great finds there :envious: Love them buttons

coinnut
01-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Congrats on the awesome year George!!! You find some of the best relics I've ever seen. One of these years when I'm a full fledged teacher I'm gonna take a trip up to the NE to hunt with you guys!

Thanks Brian. Anytime you want to come up, just PM us a bit earlier so we can find a spot. It's hard work and boring compared to parks, but the rewards go up in age and history.

Man you have some great finds there :envious: Love them buttons

Thanks Greg, We get a lot of colonial and post colonial buttons up here. I guess the people back then loved buttons lol I've got probably close to 2 thousand of them :thinkingabout:

zrickkid
01-27-2011, 04:47 PM
Great year George <: <: <: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:. We just dont have sites like that here in Illinois that are not on protected land. crying01 Keep trying and you will pull that gold coin this year, I can feel it! :angelic: :angelic: :angelic:
Ricky.

mike l
01-27-2011, 05:20 PM
Looks like a great year :peace:. Best of luck in 2011 :yes:

coinnut
01-27-2011, 08:08 PM
We just dont have sites like that here in Illinois that are not on protected land. crying01 Ricky.

You may not have them sites there, but your best bet to increase your button and old coin count is to hang around the donut shop (or wherever the old guys hang out) and bring some of your finds there to look at. After a while the people next to you may show an interest in what you have and you can ask them to hunt their properties lol Old houses or the older section of your town should give you some quality targets.

Looks like a great year :peace:. Best of luck in 2011 :yes:

Thanks Mike. If the 30+ inches of snow ever melts, I may just find something this year after all lol

RobW
01-28-2011, 02:03 PM
So what are you doing sitting by the fireside watching the snow and reminicing about the good ole' days?!

You did make some great finds this year, congrats!

And thanks for all of your help this (or actually last) year. Hopefully we can get together and detect some this season. I've been doing A LOT of research. now I just have to go scout the areas to see what is actually there NOW. I've been to a few, some look promising, others paved over, but still a lot on the list to find.

coinnut
01-28-2011, 02:16 PM
So what are you doing sitting by the fireside watching the snow and reminicing about the good ole' days?!

Mr Rob, you are still alive too lol All I can do is sit around and dream of last year. At this rate I may not even detect once this year :crying02: Hope some of your sites pan out for you :yes: Doesn't it make you mad when a great site is now a parking lot :mad:

DaleGM
01-29-2011, 12:33 PM
impressive year indeed, more coppers then silvers sure was a big surprise in my books,would like to hear more on the Indian museum you posted on in the past as we have one down here in Sacramento next to Sutters fort

Jeff (or)
01-29-2011, 02:15 PM
Terrific finds, a big congrats.! :happydance01:

russellt
01-29-2011, 07:24 PM
just plain ole stellar is what that is <:

coinnut
01-29-2011, 09:09 PM
impressive year indeed, more coppers then silvers sure was a big surprise in my books,would like to hear more on the Indian museum you posted on in the past as we have one down here in Sacramento next to Sutters fort

Hey Dale, thanks. The copper count is higher than the silver because we usually do cellar holes and we try for colonial era holes mostly, so the silver is a lot scarcer there. All my silver came from get together hunts with Angel, Catskill Comics, Hockey Guy, 1147 Silver and RobW and maybe a couple of others. This year, hopefully my silver count will triple lol. The Indian Museum hunt was a volunteer hunt that Del and I got into through our local treasure club. They were approached and ask if anyone was interested in helping find items in and around a battle that took place inside an Indian fort from 1637. We said OH YEAH rofl It was one of those things that just peeked our interest and we wanted to see if we could do it. Kind of a challenge and a way to give back too. Plus a great PR event between metal detectorists and Archaeologists. It was a win, win situation. I can't say enough good things about the crew from the Indian Museum. They were all great. Soon, all of the items should be on display at the Pequot Indian Museum. We are doing it again this coming Spring.

Terrific finds, a big congrats.! :happydance01:

just plain ole stellar is what that is <:

Thanks guys. I'm hoping to start detecting this year sometime in June rofl :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: