PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Coil ?

Froggy
01-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Got a heavy coil that is just killing your arm and or shoulder?

Shorten your lower rod one notch and see if life as you know it,gets better.

I learned the hard way. I had an MXT with a super 12 coil. I was starting to get serious shoulder pains and it felt like my shoulder was just wearing out. So, i sold my MXT (lucky for me the guy bought it for more than i had in it). I felt awful (or so i thought) No more detecting,life wasn't worth living (lol). Two days after i sold it,an old timer (listen to me (im almost 59) ) .told me to shorten the lower rod and try it before i sold my MXT. Well i went to my dealers and tested out his suggestion on a demo machine (wow what a difference) I bought another MXT and life was good again :grin: Funny how such a simple thing and make such a difference...

coinnut
01-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Shortening the rod helps a lot :yes: It seems like you would want it longer for the reach effect, but that causes you to be reaching too far. Them coils are heavy lol My only problem is that I can not find a pair of Boggs waterproof booth that don't have any metal in them. lol My machine nulls if I get too close to my own shoes and I have to carry my long shovel behind my back, so that I don't get that one too rofl I must be a sight to see ;) Great tip Froggy and it does work thumbsup01

RaZR
01-01-2011, 07:40 PM
I actually bought a coil online that came with a rod and the rod is shorter than the other ones i have. So that is the one that's on my 12 coil. It makes it way easier to swing that big coil for several hours. And it makes me slow down a little too. So i don't detect my shoes. lol

coinnut
01-01-2011, 08:28 PM
If I put penny loafers on, I am guaranteed to at least find two coins lol

Nitro 54
01-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the pain tip Tom thumbsup01

russellt
01-03-2011, 03:44 PM
that super 12 is a heavy coil. shortening the rod helps redistribute weight so that your arm is more like a fulcrum. so that the detector is more balanced. ;)