PDA

View Full Version : How I spent Thanksgiving day....pics added

Jack Flynn
11-26-2009, 07:01 PM
Everybody here at home left the OK corral for loads of tryptophan and other holiday goodies. I had to work yesterday and tomorrow sooooo I've got the hacienda to myself for several days here, me and my babygirl Jack Russell Izzie. Got up this morning and had to run to work to check some numbers from yesterday, 35 miles one way, where I want to go is 65 miles right back past the house the other way. Had a great Waffle House breakfast/lunch and took off 110 miles to an old park built around 1910. I've hunted here with the cities permission several times before with the 705 and now the E Trac. It has been raining a lot here so the ground is overly moist. I popped the Sunray X 12 coil on the ET and went to work in the old baseball diamond. The only reason I know it is one is because of the 5 poles that are at ground level now and I was trying to figure out what was here? Then I saw the very slight almost nonexistant rise at the used to be pitchers mound, the ground level poles used to be the backstop behind home plate. The ET did a very nice job cleaning up what my other machine had left. Behind the backstop and where bleachers should be I picked up several older pennies and a couple of quarters. Then I strolled down what I would call the imaginary baseline then back in reverse on the other side of the baseline. Picked up a few more pennies and two dimes, one dime was in the nine inch range, nice loud and clear. I started searching right next to the diamond an old old concrete walking or running track not over 75 yds around the oval. Decided to put the Sunray X 8 on per this was pretty trashy. As soon as I crossed a very short footbridge across a ditch next to the track a nice high pitched tone and not 3 inches deep is a very nice silver quarter. This place is a dark almost black soil/red clay mix. Ten feet away along the edge of the track I get a real good repeatable signal and hear something else. I watch the depth meter jump from 4 or so inches to 8 or so inches and can't hardly separate the two targets except knowing something else is deeper virtually directly below the top target. I dig a nice older, not silver dime but at 8 or so inches in the same hole is a penny. I ease on and start popping pennies and dimes every five or so minutes. I get back around to the edge of the track where the footbridge is and decide to detect the bank on the ditch. I get a nice signal at 8 inches and its a slightly worn but still readable 1940 wheatie. I realize that the people are following the edge of the ditch and start getting a coin every few feet. Got quite a few dimes and then picked up a a good signal but it pinpointed really screaming which to me usually means something a lot bigger than a coin. I checked it from several directions and got another signal within a hairs width from it. I decided to dig and here's this almost round piece 3 across piece of flat melted lead and just at the edge of it just a few inches deeper is a penny. I'm really amazed at the separation the ET has and am really just coming into my own with how to use it. Got 2 quarters, 9 dimes, 2 wheaties, and a hand full of pennies. What a good Thanksgiving day of digging!

marchas45
11-26-2009, 08:42 PM
Way to go Jack, glad you got your fill on Thanksgiving Day, thumbsup01

Epi-hunter
11-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Great story and digs Jack! I'm very envious of you, being able to get out on Thanksgiving day!

Dave
11-27-2009, 12:17 AM
That's what I would call a great day, congratulations on your finds! thumbsup01

angellionel
11-27-2009, 12:33 AM
Very nice Jack. That is a good retelling of your hunt. The E-Trac is indeed a fine machine.

MNDigger
11-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Great story and it sounds like you had a lot of fun which is the most important part! Thanks for sharing!

OkieDigger
11-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Great story Jack!

coinnut
11-27-2009, 02:55 PM
Yep, gotta love that E Trac for separation. Seems like a great day hunting and a lot of lessons learned on how that machine can distinguish between two targets, if we only listen to it lol Nice day!

Jack Flynn
11-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Finally got around to taking some pics of my Turkey day hunt finds. I actually had two wheaties in the bunch instead of one. I'm headed back in the morning for an all dayer :drool:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c273/JFlynn105/2009_112:loveit:12X8coilhuntETrac0041.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c273/JFlynn105/2009_112:loveit:12X8coilhuntETrac0051.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c273/JFlynn105/2009_112:loveit:12X8coilhuntETrac0054.jpg

coinnut
11-28-2009, 10:38 PM
Hey Nice hunt. A lot of targets and a silver Quarter too. And a great way to spend Thanksgiving too thumbsup01

MNDigger
12-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Nice looking hunt! Thanks for adding the pics! thumbsup01