PDA

View Full Version : Huge Lion Ring

Beefcake
01-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Tim called me today after he got permission to hunt an old highschool from around the 1910-20's we've been wanting to hunt. He took some video of tonights hunt. We were in wheatie heaven tonight. I got 8 and Tim got 9 wheats, but no silver coins:huh: They've gotta be there, but we only hunted for about an hour and a half. My night was made by finding my first silver ring of the year... and boy is it a whopper! I really like it and it intrigues me... I couldn't find the maker's mark anywhere that has a triangle and TC inside... I thought at first it might have been an older Tiffany & Co. , but I don't think so. It's by far the biggest silver ring I've ever ound and fits on my ring finger nicely. If anyone can tell me about the symbolism of the standing lion holding a key and two crossed (swords:huh:) let me know!!

giant056
01-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Very nice hunk of silver you got there beefcake thumbsup01

cnr_dogs
01-03-2011, 08:08 PM
sounds like a fun hunt got ya some wheats and a huge silver ring WTG Nice Hunt

del
01-03-2011, 08:23 PM
hey Brian that is a monstrosity :shocked04: of a ring for sure , pretty cool motif on the front too.what did it weigh as it looks very heavy , congrats on your first silver ring of the year. :peace: :clapping:
Dan

Beefcake
01-03-2011, 08:30 PM
It weighed in at 18 grams. I was sure it was going to be a half dollar. Gave me a solid 03-48. Does anyone know what that style of lion is called... I thought it had a name:huh:

rsarge1
01-03-2011, 08:33 PM
very nice hunt and finds wtg :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Ill Digger
01-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Wow!!! that IS a huge ring!!!! :shocked04:
Nice chunck of silver to kick off 2011 <:
The lion looks like the Lowenbrau lion lol :beerbuddy:
Sweet find !!
Congrats !! :grin:
I'll be watching for Tim's video

Beefcake
01-03-2011, 08:50 PM
LOL... that's the first thing I thought of too when I saw it! I just think that the symbolism on the ring must mean something as in a club or fraternal symbol. This is the first ring that actually fits my ring finger too! A bit gaudy, but I might just wear it as a conversation piece.

del
01-03-2011, 09:01 PM
brian this is all i could find real quick about the symbolism on the images hope it helps.

that style of lion is called a
Rampant Lion -Bravery, strength, ferocity, and valour
Keys-Guardianship and dominion
swords ,dagger, scimitar,sabre-Justice and military honour

Beefcake
01-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Ahhh...describes me to a T LOL... Kinda funny, it's very close to the definition of Brian... 'Noble, strong, virtuous; hill'

catskillcomics
01-03-2011, 09:30 PM
It weighed in at 18 grams. I was sure it was going to be a half dollar. Gave me a solid 03-48. Does anyone know what that style of lion is called... I thought it had a name:huh:

I don't know what style that lion is, but I have seen it used for both english and scottish icons.

jkress
01-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Awesome hunt BC!

The ring is a fantastic find... all about the silver baby. :peace:

Crazy how the silver coins can hide very well at some sites. :thinkingabout:

Congrats on a great hunt.

coinnut
01-03-2011, 09:36 PM
I don't know what style that lion is, but I have seen it used for both english and scottish icons.

Is that really you Scott?? lol Nice to see you ;) Hey Brian, real nice ring and like Scott said, I have seen it on old (very old) coins. So that symbol has been around for a long time. I'm guessing since midieval times. It's not a half dollar, but better in some ways. :clapping:

angellionel
01-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Sweet looking sterling silver ring Brian. Nice and hefty too.

CyberSage
01-03-2011, 10:02 PM
That's a huge chunk of silver Beef. The lion is holding a staff, this is very reminiscent of a Lion Of Judah which is a symbol for Christ. You found Aslan! Nice find.

Beefcake
01-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Yes..Aslan indeed!!! One of my favorite characters. It does look like the symbol that you see on the old coins such as reales. That maker's mark is driving me nuts!

Epi-hunter
01-03-2011, 10:21 PM
Well you certainly know how to start off the year right! :happydance01: Very nice, Brian!

CyberSage
01-03-2011, 11:27 PM
Yes..Aslan indeed!!! One of my favorite characters. It does look like the symbol that you see on the old coins such as reales. That maker's mark is driving me nuts!

A lot of makers marks can be very localized. Find the area the ring was made in you will most likely find the maker. The ring is a one size fits all style, which I find odd for a Silver. A ring to grow up with maybe? Is there a Jewish community associated with the area you found it in? A common Bar Mitzvah or Hanuka gift. Just some ideas.

Beefcake
01-03-2011, 11:55 PM
No Jewish people around here (plenty of Amish though)... Heck, I never seen a real jewish person until I went to an airport. It doesn't seem to be hit with a lawnmower... more like it was cut off of someone at some point. I don't think it was meant to be adjustable... I bent down the one side to even it up... sheesh silver is hard to bend!

Ill Digger
01-04-2011, 12:03 AM
I'm not 100% but this sounds close to your Brian.

double crossed T over a squared C in a rectangular cartouche.

(mark for Thomae Co.)

I was looking through my Rainwater books this morning for marks and came across the mark Jackie Weeks sent in an email more than a week ago. It was a double crossed T (looks like an old-fashioned telephone pole) over a squared C in a rectangular cartouche. The mark is for The Thomae Co., Atelboro Massachusetts, in business from 1920----. The book American Jewelry Manufacturers by Rainwater shows only a similar T C mark (not in a rectangle and with and rounded C). If you look in Rainwater's other book Encyclopedia of American Silver Manufacturers you will see the mark exactly as Jackie drew it with the rectangle and the square C. I think it's useful to have both books on hand. The Encyclopedia of American Silver Manufacturers has a nice section at the back with pictures of marks which is very helpful if you don't have a letter of the alphabet to go by.

information provided by Marbeth Schon
Here's were I found it.
http://www.modernsilver.com/mysterymarks2.htm
Second page almost all the way to the bottom. My eyes are like :twirlingeyes: now...

Ill Digger
01-04-2011, 12:09 AM
Ah..maybe not. After looking at this site...
http://www.925-1000.com/ax_Thomae.html
Back to the drawing board..... :interesting:

Evan/tn
01-04-2011, 07:38 AM
Wow that's a fat silver ring :shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04:
I bet you thought you had a half dollar :happydance01:,great ring to start the new year on

Goat Rancher
01-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Super find. thumbsup01 Now that's a nice ring. :clapping:

russellt
01-04-2011, 07:38 PM
thats a huge honkin slab of silver..... nice finds all around

pulltabsteve
01-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Thats 1 heck of a ring :clapping: That must have sounded real nice in the headphones.

coinnut
01-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Lowenbrau in a can?? :confused: I just can't do it Steve lol maybe after a couple from a bottle I might ;)

pulltabsteve
01-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Lowenbrau in a can?? :confused: I just can't do it Steve lol maybe after a couple from a bottle I might ;)

The classy people drink it from a glass rofl :rolleyes: :teasing:

coinnut
01-04-2011, 07:54 PM
The classy people drink it from a glass rofl :rolleyes: :teasing:

I use a dixie cup lol Is that OK?

odave
01-04-2011, 09:50 PM

I was thinking English too ! Very Cool Ring thumbsup01 Congratulations !!

Carver
01-05-2011, 08:08 PM
That looks really heavy,,,,nice find :clapping: :clapping:

Salty Dog
01-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Nice Ring ,I tried to find the makers mark but came up clean :bangahead01:,nice chunk of silver,I would hang onto that one,it's pretty special thumbsup01,looks like it was worn a bit...Maybe Mr's salty can Id it,she is pretty good on those kinds of things,Dave