PDA

View Full Version : your best detecting accomplishment of 2010

russellt
01-06-2011, 05:33 PM
lots of new forum members here abouts.so folks havent been folllowing our progress. what was your best detecting accomplishment of last year. mine would be 32 century +days last year . and a big ( for me ) clad count :popcorn:
last year seen the first gold finds for me after 5 years of swingin a coil. 4 pieces of the glittery stuff..what about you folks??

del
01-06-2011, 06:24 PM
good topic Russellt thumbsup01 my best accomplishment would be the volunteer work i did with a local Native American museum (Pequot Indian Museum) . they came to our detecting club and ask for help in locating relics and artifacts from a Pequot fort that was attacked back in 1637 by the early English colonists and Indian allies. there were 4 or 5 of us detectorists that were really dedicated and gave them alot of our time and we recovered alot of great items that ranged from brass kettle arrow points to musket lead ball from the matchlock rifles and iron gunrests . the archaeologists were very impressed with the amount of items we found for them under the very difficult conditions but we made some great new friends with them and both sides gained a new respect and knowledge for each other . it was a very positive experience and i was very proud to help and maybe rewrite the true history about a very crucial event that happened long ago and shaped our American history.

in the future i hope to work with atleast one other detectorist and write a nice full story with pictures and share it with the forum .

Dan

wingmaster
01-06-2011, 06:30 PM
That would have to be my first O mintmark coin an 1899 barber dime, 2010 was only my second year so hopefully this year my goal is a silver older than my 1876 seated quarter. HH

coinnut
01-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Lots of great finds and also the Pequot Indian hunt like Del mentioned. One of my rarer finds was my first 1785 Constellatio Nova colonial copper. It is in fairly nice shape and was at a cellar site Del and I found and were excited about. We hunted it the second or third week of January last year lol Like little kids - couldn't wait. :cheesysmile: This site was eerily nice to me and I felt a pleasant connection to it and it's past. It rewarded me better than any other site I can think of. The Copper is in better shape in person than in the picture. Along with it I found that Connecticut copper, Large Cent, Indian and 1909 Wheat, plust tons of relics.

cliffy
01-06-2011, 07:11 PM
I thought you would never pass me in the clad. The last part of the year you sure did turn on the heat! Congrats on a great year Russ! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
I dug 21 gold rings last year! :beerbuddy:

Beefcake
01-06-2011, 08:51 PM
This is an easy one for me... Doubt I'll ever surpass this one... 1793 2 Reale.

Bedrock
01-06-2011, 09:03 PM
My best detecting accomplishment in 2010 was finding an 1840 Peruvian 2 Reale, and, about 8 feet away, an 1854 half dime in near EF condition. In my neck of the woods in the mountains of northern California, I doubt that I will ever find any coins older than these. But hope srpings eternal, and I won't stop trying.

psychposse
01-07-2011, 12:08 AM
.. my best accomplishment would be the volunteer work i did with a local Native American museum (Pequot Indian Museum)....
Dan

WoW! thumbsup01 That would have been a lot of fun!!

While I am not new to detecting I am new to more advanced detecting equipment - made the investment in the DFX 300 last fall so I didn't have a lot of coil to ground time. I have found some nice older coins, my favorite is the 1866 three cent, but that was prior to last year.

Last years best accomplishment for me was my very first ring find - a 10k gold with some micro diamonds.

I did the <: dance!!

Dimeman
01-07-2011, 12:55 AM
I can't name just one. :-\

Had some of my dug relic items,coins and ebayed postcard collection from Camp Logan ( a WW1 training camp located in Houston--1917-1919) in a museum for 2 months. :grin:

Got my name in a small weekly local area newspaper for my museum showing and postcard collection.

Got to detect with some friends at a 1925 Armory building, and we donated all the finds to the museum where I had my collection shown( since they owned the property-and I asked permission to detect it).

Met some great new friends metal detecting, and online on different forums.

Found my 1st 14K gold chain--worth over $425.00. :happydance01:

Dug over $400.00 in clad coins--over 4,300 coins--my best clad total so far.

Dug over 60 silver coins this past year. <:

Got mentioned on Dick Stouts webpage a couple of times. :peace:

That should be enough............. :tongue: :tongue:

My4Kiwis
01-07-2011, 01:06 AM
For me it was discovering this hobby and the purchase of my first ever detector. I have almost zero time behind the coil since I've been out of country for the entire year. My first find ever was a 1962 Dime. I had bought my machine on one of my short breaks home. On the drive back to the house after picking up my new toy, I couldn't stand it any longer and pulled over to a campground friends of mine own and hunted for 10 mintues. First solid hit was that dime, only 3 inches down.

giant056
01-07-2011, 06:44 AM
This one here was a great eye opener, I found it in a local swimming hole, I was about chest deep and my detector has three lights on it, blue for silver yellow for gold and red for iron. This one kept lighting up the yellow light every time and when I finally got it in my scoop it sure did look nice. This is my first nice gold bracelet and it's 10K, the funny thing is the middle part of it with the name tested 12K on my Mizar while the chain and clasps tested 10K, it makes me think that it's possibly a custom made piece and the jeweler might have slipped some 14K in with the mix for the nameplate part. I made some other great finds for 2010 also and most are mentioned in this forum.

russellt
01-07-2011, 05:09 PM
wow. very impressive one and all.. congrats on all those fabulous finds .. :peace: keep em comin thumbsup01

IDXit
01-09-2011, 02:05 PM
WTG Russ.... :happydance01: You did great with the Century days....that's for sure....awesome end to the year 2010... <: <: I ended the year with a total of 110 rings....10 gold, 33 silver and the rest were costume jewelry..... :happydance01: :happydance01: I got to do the ... :happydance01: ...110 times last year and I don't know how I will be able to beat that record.....but I'm sure going to give it a try.... thumbsup01 thumbsup01 I wish all of you a great 2011 and happy hunting out there.. :interesting: :interesting: :interesting:

dave in iowa
01-09-2011, 03:44 PM
well my best coin i think was my 1904o barber half and the civil war calvery button powder flask, also this wooden match holder circa 1860s, i really enjoyed finding this ring for a lady i know , its the morgan silver dollar ring her grandfather made another was meeting Joe Kress,jkress, great hunting partner and finding this forum,

Carver
01-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Just being able to get out 4 times was an accomplishment :sick: :sick: :sick:

beepn
01-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Went metal detecting 6 days after my heart attack.
If your going to walk on thin ice you might as well dance!

Toadman
01-11-2011, 12:19 AM
I had a BLAST !!!!! :happydance01: <: :peace: :clapping: :cheering:

Judy
01-11-2011, 01:24 PM

Now that says it all **clap clap** live life the way U choose thumbsup01

coinnut
01-12-2011, 09:38 PM

I heard the worst thing you can do after a heart attack is sit still. No bungy jumping , but no couch potato either lol You did the right thing :clapping:

leslie(nova scotia)
01-13-2011, 05:05 AM
From the land of the Bluenose...getting back for a dig in the UK and taking half a dozen newbies out and showing them the ropes!