PDA

View Full Version : replacing a switch

Dixie Rebel
01-07-2011, 12:24 PM
I've been having some trouble lately out of my mxt. Whenever I would be in coin and jewelry mode and ran my coil over a piece of iron I would get a iron grunt sound. It would also show a dime as a button while in coin and jewelry mode. I found out if I put slight pressure and an upward motionon the mode switch it would id it normally. So I called whites and they told me it was definitely the switch. I kinda figured out that is what is was. I haven't taken it apart yetbut from the looks of it not that hard. Take out two screws on each side disconnect the ribbon from the switch. Anyone here ever done this before?

coinnut
01-07-2011, 01:32 PM
I've been having some trouble lately out of my mxt. Whenever I would be in coin and jewelry mode and ran my coil over a piece of iron I would get a iron grunt sound. It would also show a dime as a button while in coin and jewelry mode. I found out if I put slight pressure and an upward motionon the mode switch it would id it normally. So I called whites and they told me it was definitely the switch. I kinda figured out that is what is was. I haven't taken it apart yetbut from the looks of it not that hard. Take out two screws on each side disconnect the ribbon from the switch. Anyone here ever done this before?

Haven't done a switch, but I'm assuming it's a solder connection?? Sounds kinda odd that a switch would cause a false ID on a coin :confused: We have a couple of EE's here and they may be able to help reason out if it's a switch or not. Hate to see you replace a switch if it's some kind of grounding issue or board issue.

Dixie Rebel
01-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the reply. When your in coin and jewelry mode and push up on the switch. It will go into relic mode. If you release pressure it will function normally. It will blip every once in a while. I bought a cover not to long ago for it. And for some reason it neve did fit right. The access slots around the toggle switch was a very tight fit and never really fitted loose. I think that is how it got messed up. If this doesn't work after installing the switch I will send it off to Whites. By the way it is still under Warrenty and I did not want to be without a detector. I am thinking it will be a easy job.

Vito
01-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Rick M did this some time ago if I remember correct.

giant056
01-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Whites has them on their website for about 8 dollars and they come all wired up ready to plug in.

Dixie Rebel
01-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Whites is sending me a switch. Don't think it is that hard to install. Maybe Rick or someone will chime in. Thanks for all the replys. thumbsup01

giant056
01-08-2011, 04:36 AM
Whites is sending me a switch. Don't think it is that hard to install. Maybe Rick or someone will chime in. Thanks for all the replys. thumbsup01
If the one that you get doesn't have the plug and wires on it they're fairly easy to solder up if you have a good soldering iron. By the looks of the switches they have though the MXT is the same as the V3i and they come already wired and just need to be plugged in.

Nitro 54
01-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Its a simple task, won't take you 5 minutes.

Dixie Rebel
01-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Wife just called and said it just came in the mail. What do I have to do nitro to install it?

Nitro 54
01-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Wife just called and said it just came in the mail. What do I have to do nitro to install it?

First pull the foam cover off. Then you will need a small screw driver or something to pry the switch housing out of the handle. It just a compression fit. Take the nut off the switch and it will come off the compression mount. Depending on what switch you got, it might be as simple as unplugging the old switch and plugging the new one in. Myself I got a switch from my local Radio Scraps store and needed to solder the new one on. Make note of which way the switch was mounted in the mount and which way the mount was in the handle. You might not want to put it back together backwards. Changing the switch is a easy chore that will only take a few minutes to accomplish.

Nitro 54
01-08-2011, 03:39 PM
I just sent you a PM.. I misread what switch you were replacing. 8/ 8/ :bop: :bop: You will just need to split the box open

Dixie Rebel
01-09-2011, 07:19 AM
Whites sent me a switch but it was the wrong one bummer.The switch they sent me is the pin pointer switch. So I e-mailed whites and told them I needed the toggle switch for coin-Jewelry relic and prospecting. Well at least I have an extra switch in case it goes bad.

Toadman
01-09-2011, 10:07 AM
Wicked easy dude, If ya want, when ya get the correct switch, Ya can cell me, And i'll walk ya through it.. 8)

Dixie Rebel
01-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Thanks Rick your expertise is greatly appreciated. I sent you a pm thumbsup01

Vito
01-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Wicked easy dude, If ya want, when ya get the correct switch, Ya can cell me, And i'll walk ya through it.. 8)

Now, that is some SERVICE. lol

BOWSER
01-10-2011, 01:19 PM
this could get rick into a new career if this works out maybe he could get a job with :thinkingabout: a bomb squad,bein good with wires an all.