PDA

View Full Version : Detecting; how to tell if you've got the bug!

M-Taliesin
01-08-2011, 04:02 AM
Howdy Folks!
Here are a few indications that you may have the detecting bug!
----------------
Is it right for the moderator of a metal detecting forum to caution members to “keep it clean” when they’ve spent the whole day in the dirt?

Should introducing a newcomer to metal detecting really require us to explain “Green side up” when restoring a plug?

Is it fair for the wife to get upset when, in a moment of passion, you cried out “A Barber, a Barber, A Barber a,…” or worse, Rosie, Rosie, Rosie!

Is it right to hunt for 2 hours, cover nearly 3 acres, only to discover your DX-1 switch was on “probe” the entire time?

Have you ever dug through something you wouldn’t want to step in?

Do you refuse to carry a probe because of an unfortunate interlude with aliens?

Have you ever drove back across town because you left your Lesche behind?

Are you still traumatized from an encounter with some kid called Mordachai?

Is it appropriate to explain to another detectorist you’ve just met that his coil is on backwards? (That actually happened to me in Wichita Kansas!)

Have you ever had a dog mistake you for a hydrant while digging up a target?

Have you noticed that you always carry a spare battery pack, even when the detector is at home?

Ever heard a minister say “I now pronounce you Bride and MXT”?

Have you ever used a Garrett Pro Pointer to find your keys in the house?

Have you ever been diagnosed as anemic after hunting in mosquito season?

Ever notice you don’t need a restroom until after you start hunting?

Ever notice there ain’t no restroom facilities anywhere near where you’re hunting?

Have you ever spent two hours working a beach without noticing it is clothing optional?

Has your coil ever become too heavy to swing because it has 10 pounds of snow stuck to it?

Did you ever hunt with a partner who gets plenty of good stuff while you only got pulltabs and bottle caps?

If you answered yes to more than one of these,… you got the bug!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Dixie Rebel
01-08-2011, 07:51 AM
I definitely fit four of those categorys. Even if I didn't I still have the bug.

Evan/tn
01-08-2011, 08:22 AM
Good ones Mel but i think you forgot
When you stop to pick up a penny you say &quot:beerbuddy:EEP just so it counts :grin:

odave
01-08-2011, 12:24 PM
When you stop to pick up a penny you say &quot:beerbuddy:EEP just so it counts :grin:

ROTFLMAO ....so true buddy so true

M-Taliesin
01-08-2011, 12:40 PM

Howdy Evan!
Yeah, that's a good one. Can if I have it?
Oh, that's another thing that should be on the list!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin
01-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Howdy Folks!
Here is another that happened to me personally about a year ago, and should have been included!

Have you ever spent an entire day hunting and had the satisfaction of returning home with a whole pile of clad, only to be deflated by your wife who eyeballed a 14k gold necklace in the parking lot where she works?

That actually happened to me. Only she found it at work at the county jail. She works for the sheriff's office.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

coinnut
01-08-2011, 05:45 PM
I fit most of them, except for the beach one. I believe I would have noticed that ;)

Carl in Louisiana
01-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Mine is driving down the road and telling the wife Wow that looks like it would be an awesome place to detect Wow that looks like it would be an awesome place to detect Wow that looks like it would be an awesome place to detect but you know I never seem to get any kind of a reaction from her that she feels the same way lol lol

Lots of good ones up there Mel some fit some don't but all very funny rofl

Dimeman
01-08-2011, 07:00 PM
If you get back from an outing and say to yourself---you know I should have checked over in THAT area... I bet I would have found a good target.

M-Taliesin
01-08-2011, 09:07 PM
You know you got it bad when you take all your zincolns,put them in a plastic bottle and bury them so some other detectorist can deal with the worthless,deteriorating slugs rofl

Howdy Froggy!
That's a real good one! I should try that eventually.
Like... whenever I get to a real beach.
Colorado, being landlocked, doesn't have much beach hunting!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin
01-08-2011, 09:09 PM
Mine is driving down the road and telling the wife Wow that looks like it would be an awesome place to detect Wow that looks like it would be an awesome place to detect Wow that looks like it would be an awesome place to detect but you know I never seem to get any kind of a reaction from her that she feels the same way lol lol

Lots of good ones up there Mel some fit some don't but all very funny rofl

Howdy Pard!
Well, at least she married you. Can't have everything!
LOL!!!!!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Nitro 54
01-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Next time Carl she'll tell you to bring your detector along and when you mention a good site, you'll get left there and picked up later if your lucky.. rofl rofl rofl

Carl in Louisiana
01-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Next time Carl she'll tell you to bring your detector along and when you mention a good site, you'll get left there and picked up later if your lucky.. rofl rofl rofl

rofl rofl rofl picked up later if your lucky....Luck has nothing to do with it Nitro....I would have to walk or catch a ride from someone else LOL lol lol lol

BHNugget
01-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Are you still traumatized from an encounter with some kid called Mordachai?

rofl rofl rofl

russellt
01-11-2011, 05:16 PM
yes , yes , yes , yes ,yes ,yes and most of all yes :cheering:

jkress
01-12-2011, 04:40 PM
rofl rofl rofl

These are really great... because unfortunately so many are true. :yes:

One thing I noticed for myself is that I have to adjust my morning coffee consumption based on the availability of a restroom at the place I am detecting that morning.

..... oh the sacrifices we make to treasure hunt. :rolleyes:

M-Taliesin
01-12-2011, 06:36 PM
One thing I noticed for myself is that I have to adjust my morning coffee consumption based on the availability of a restroom at the place I am detecting that morning.

Howdy Pard!
And did you ever notice that not only are there no porta pots anywhere, no restrooms anywhere, but not even decent cover anywhere either. No bushes or anything in which to hide. That can get downright disconcerting.
How disconcerting:huh: DEPENDS!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

jkress
01-16-2011, 03:35 AM
Howdy Pard!
And did you ever notice that not only are there no porta pots anywhere, no restrooms anywhere, but not even decent cover anywhere either. No bushes or anything in which to hide. That can get downright disconcerting.
How disconcerting:huh: DEPENDS!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

rofl

del
01-16-2011, 09:17 AM
those all are great examples Mel thumbsup01 , but sometimes pictures speak louder than words and i believe the picture i'm about to show is sure fire proof of fatal bug like symtoms. :crazy: :crazy: if in your travels you should ever come across detectorists this far gone about the hobby :eyebrow: , well extreme caution is advised my friend. lol rofl rofl

just a note; that someone was taking this shot of the insane behavior exibiting in the picture and although i don't like to drop names (Heavymetalnut) :lipssealed: :lipssealed: :lipssealed: said person also participated in behavior as well. lol rofl lol sorry Dave guilt by association i guess. lol lol :poke: :teasing:

MartinL
01-16-2011, 11:10 AM
If I ever get as bad off as Del, someone check my car trunk for a seed pod, cuz it'd take an act of Congress to get me to brave all of the cold I see in that picture. martin

those all are great examples Mel thumbsup01 , but sometimes pictures speak louder than words and i believe the picture i'm about to show is sure fire proof of fatal bug like symtoms. :crazy: :crazy: if in your travels you should ever come across detectorists this far gone about the hobby :eyebrow: , well extreme caution is advised my friend. lol rofl rofl

just a note; that someone was taking this shot of the insane behavior exibiting in the picture and although i don't like to drop names (Heavymetalnut) :lipssealed: :lipssealed: :lipssealed: said person also participated in behavior as well. lol rofl lol sorry Dave guilt by association i guess. lol lol :poke: :teasing:

Cheap Thrills
01-16-2011, 12:11 PM
This is some funny stuff Mel !! rofl thumbsup01 I wonder if anyone has ever went so far as to be a Gigolo to be able to dig a property ?

Bedrock
01-20-2011, 10:02 PM
I've got it so bad I'm planning a trip to Gilligans Island. They were marooned there for years, so there has to be some good stuff there. Mrs. Howell was always dripping with jewelry, and who knows, maybe Ginger and Mary Ann lost some too. Should be a great trip.

M-Taliesin
01-21-2011, 11:46 PM
This is some funny stuff Mel !! rofl thumbsup01 I wonder if anyone has ever went so far as to be a Gigolo to be able to dig a property ?

Howdy Pard!
Almost the same thing, they became a landlord! LOL!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin