PDA

View Full Version : Just an observation

cnr_dogs
01-08-2011, 09:40 AM
Over the last few days I have been tumbling a lot of clad found over the past detecting season. Along with the typical dirt and gunk that comes off of them, I noticed that after 3 batches of Qtrs Dimes and Nick there was a healthy accumulation of the copper that is the filler in the coins. Very fine and heavy particles. Anyone else ever noticed this?

Salty Dog
01-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Nope :thinkingabout: but then the set up i use everything get rinsed every time i tumble,dave

cnr_dogs
01-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Nope :thinkingabout: but then the set up i use everything get rinsed every time i tumble,dave

I use a dual drum tumbler and dump the cleaned coins in a strainer give the drums a quick rinse and refill with dirty. The heavy particles didnt like to come out of the bottom of the drums.

coinnut
01-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Never really noticed. I'm about to do a big bunch of scrap to see what metals I have. Expecting my tumbler to arrive by the 12th or 13th. :happydance01: Can't wait to plug in that puppy lol What you using for tumbling along with the gravel?

cnr_dogs
01-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Never really noticed. I'm about to do a big bunch of scrap to see what metals I have. Expecting my tumbler to arrive by the 12th or 13th. :happydance01: Can't wait to plug in that puppy lol What you using for tumbling along with the gravel?

When I tumble my coins to ready them for the bank all I use is the coins, hot water and a little dish soap 5-6 hours in the cycle and they are clean enough for my bank

Ill Digger
01-08-2011, 08:43 PM
What you using for tumbling along with the gravel?

I use a hand full of pea stone, a couple of drops of dish soap ,and water.
Tumble for a hour and a half. And whala...clean coins thumbsup01 :yes:
Works good thumbsup01

Jeff (or)
01-09-2011, 03:13 AM
Works good thumbsup01

Yep, that's the way I've done it for the last forty years. Quick and easy. :yes:

RaZR
01-09-2011, 09:45 AM
Yep! water,dishsoap and gravel. I got a bag of aquarium gravel the larger size in natural colors. Works great! One drum for clad one for pennies.

tanacat
01-10-2011, 08:54 AM
Hmmmm I have a tumbler but haven't used it on coins... Am I awful for turning my coins in like that? :cheesysmile: I admit I do feel a little embarrassed and hope they don't check them until after I leave- and I never go to my OWN bank lol

Carver
01-13-2011, 08:43 AM
Yep! water,dishsoap and gravel. I got a bag of aquarium gravel the larger size in natural colors. Works great! One drum for clad one for pennies.

thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01

Dimeman
01-15-2011, 10:43 AM
Works good thumbsup01

I use aquarium gravel,cover the bottom of the drum with the gravel, put the coins in, add some dishwashing soap, a little Comet Cleanser and put water to just a little over the top of the coins. Tumble for 2-4 hours( depending on how dirty they are) and they come out very clean. I have seen on a few other forums here some folks add clean white sand to their coins. Guess it helps clean them better.

I do the pennies separate from the nickels,dimes, and quarters. Make sure you rinse the gravel afterwards so it is clean each time you start a fresh batch.

Nitro 54
01-16-2011, 08:23 PM
I do the same thing Tanacat ,, Just wash off the dirt and dry. they are bank ready.. :cheesysmile: :cheesysmile: :cheesysmile:

russellt
02-10-2011, 03:34 PM
i have considered getting a tumbler..about how much are they? its none of my business just thought id ask

coinnut
02-10-2011, 07:31 PM
They run from about 40 to 120 dollars. Over priced for what you get really lol They are pretty cheaply made, but do the trick. There are single and double barrels available. Whatever you do, don't try beach sand in the tumbler, unless you want some sandblasted looking coins :embarrassed:

jkress
02-12-2011, 01:28 AM
unless you want some sandblasted looking coins :embarrassed:

lol. :thinkingabout: Pictures please. :clapping:

RobW
02-14-2011, 05:07 PM
You should see what he does with sandpaper to coins!!!!

I asked his help on cleaning a button I had previously found, before going over to his house I had gone out that morning
and found this large cent, he said he knew a great way to clean it....next thing I knew he was hitting it was hardcore abrasive sandpaper :shocked04:

Seriously though, I have and do appreciate all of his help with everything that he has helped me with since I have come to know him through this board. :yes:

RobW
02-14-2011, 05:09 PM
Sorry, meant to mention that who I was referring too was George (Coinnut)...and his sandblasting techniques! lol

coinnut
02-14-2011, 05:47 PM
Sorry, meant to mention that who I was referring too was George (Coinnut)...and his sandblasting techniques! lol

lol You should have seen that copper before lol It had nothing good showing. At least you know what it is now :crying02: Bring it back, I have a planer I want to send it through :shocked01: ;)

coinnut
02-14-2011, 05:50 PM
lol. :thinkingabout: Pictures please. :clapping:

No pictures, they are camera shy. lol They look like anybody's beach finds that are tumbled in the waves. I wouldn't have tried sand, but these clads were very corroded and I was shocked on how quickly the sand broke away the corrosion. It didn't take very long at all.

pulltabsteve
02-14-2011, 06:14 PM
lol You should have seen that copper before lol It had nothing good showing. At least you know what it is now :crying02: Bring it back, I have a planer I want to send it through :shocked01: ;)

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl The blender will be next! rofl You're a funny guy George! :yes:

coinnut
02-14-2011, 06:29 PM
rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl The blender will be next! rofl You're a funny guy George! :yes:

That blender doesn't work too well :ticked: But it does make some great change rofl

RobW
02-15-2011, 09:21 AM

lol, You knew this would surface at some point lol, Your secret is out! :twirlingeyes:

It was a pretty ugly coin...but it counted, and was one of the last good ones for the season. George and I had a good time, or at least I did, hanging out, cleaning things up and drinking a cold one

coinnut
02-15-2011, 08:03 PM
lol, You knew this would surface at some point lol, Your secret is out! :twirlingeyes:

It was a pretty ugly coin...but it counted, and was one of the last good ones for the season. George and I had a good time, or at least I did, hanging out, cleaning things up and drinking a cold one

Probably a good idea next time to save the cold ones for after cleaning :thinkingabout: