PDA

View Full Version : Check this out!!!

Dirt Fisher
01-08-2011, 11:26 AM
A buddy of mine dug up a scoop of dirt with a backhoe thought he seen a piece of coal in the pile. It was not coal at all but a prehistoric megladon sharks tooth. Right here in Bulls Gap, Tennessee. WOW!!! is all I can say. We hunt these things when the wife and I are at the beach and never found one over say an inch long and dude digs up one right here at home. Thought I would share this picture of it with you folks.

angellionel
01-08-2011, 11:36 AM
Wow! That is just awesome! Great White sharks are bad enough, but it's hard to imagine what the mouth of a megalodon would have looked like with a row of teeth that size. :shocked04:stretcher:

Goat Rancher
01-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Cool find..................I bet the rest of him his there too. :thinkingabout:

Epi-hunter
01-08-2011, 11:38 AM
That is incredible :shocked04: And HUGE! :shocked04: :shocked04:

BHNugget
01-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Dang,that thing is huge! I can just imagine the appetite of something that size.A true nightmare for everything around it! :shocked04:

greg
01-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Good eye on that find

giant056
01-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Wow that had to be one big fish to have a tooth like that.

Dirt Fisher
01-08-2011, 11:55 AM
I mentioned that to him Goat and he has no interest in finding the rest of it and is afraid if word gets out that he found this there that the government will send in a crew to dig on his property. I think I would love to find the whole thing. He found it while digging a water line. I would have sifted through every inch of dirt.

giant056
01-08-2011, 12:09 PM
After reading this post I googled megladon and read up on them and it said during their lifetime they lost thousands of teeth so there's a good chance you wouldn't find the remains anywhere near there.

odave
01-08-2011, 12:21 PM
A very Cool find !!!

Dixie Rebel
01-08-2011, 01:17 PM
That's a real neat find. Jaws theme anyone?

coinnut
01-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Nice tooth. It's in really good shape too. They can get a bit pricey as they get bigger. I would put that right up front in my collection if I found it. What a great display that is gonna make :happydance01: Congrats to him.

Judy
01-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Wicked!!!!!! :shocked04:

Evan/tn
01-08-2011, 04:32 PM
That's just awesome!!!
I've hunted for fossils a little but never found nothing that cool!!

Carl in Louisiana
01-08-2011, 06:44 PM
That is just so cool Mike :clapping: :clapping: I would have never thought that you would find something like that all the way up in Tenn.....heck I have never found one on the beach or anywhere else for that matter....I sure would like to know if you have any idea how it ended up there thumbsup01 A great find any day in my book buddy....congrats

Dirt Fisher
01-08-2011, 08:05 PM
That is just so cool Mike :clapping: :clapping: I would have never thought that you would find something like that all the way up in Tenn.....heck I have never found one on the beach or anywhere else for that matter....I sure would like to know if you have any idea how it ended up there thumbsup01 A great find any day in my book buddy....congrats
Carl, my buddy lives on a brown slate rock hill side that you can find imprints of plants and small creatures just by picking up a slab of it and looking. He said a little research said that most of Tennessee was under water and that this slate was actually mud sediment that has hardened into rock over several thousand of years. My guess is the creature pictures that you will find on these slate rocks was things that were in this mud. I suppose it must have been good feeding grounds for them huge sharks as well. If memory is right, I believe these type sharks would get as large as either a school bus or maybe it was three school buses, I've forgot but they were huge as you can tell from the tooth and this is a small one.

pulltabsteve
01-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Scale pic

rsarge1
01-08-2011, 08:15 PM
sweet nice find :clapping: :clapping:

Nitro 54
01-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Nice tooth find... Man he could eat you and it would be just like him swallowing a pill.

coinnut
01-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Fossils, like gemstones and probably gold are located in every state. It's just the quantity and quality that suffers. I have some fern fossils that are local and are 100 million years old. They are beautiful and who would have thought that they are in the slate deposits up here. You just have to find the right layer in the rock and you hit a certain time period. That is one big guppy's tooth though lol