PDA

View Full Version : Brand Question

RounderRick
01-08-2011, 12:37 PM
Hey all I have a question about the Teknetics Omega 8000 metal detector.
I was kinda looking at it before I got my mxt and later decided on the whites but I am now thinking on a 2nd detector.
I'm gonna keep my whites but use it mostly to relic hunt with and want to get something mainly for park hunting and maybe try and find some older silver coins so I want something with a lower khz.
From what I had read the omega was showing some promise and getting some good reviews but I see this forum don't have an area for Teknetics users nor have I found any results lately about the omega in general.
So my question is does anyone have and use the omega 8000 and does it perform well?

Dixie Rebel
01-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Hey rick glad you mentioned the teknetics. I have a friend of mine that has one and he does pretty good with it. It does not have that cheap plasticky feel about it. I use it before and it's a well made unit. I am a whites man but I liked it. Shoot me a pm I have a friend that can get you a pretty good deal on one if you want. Shoot me a pm.

RounderRick
01-08-2011, 01:05 PM
Hey rick glad you mentioned the teknetics. I have a friend of mine that has one and he does pretty good with it. It does not have that cheap plasticky feel about it. I use it before and it's a well made unit. I am a whites man but I liked it. Shoot me a pm I have a friend that can get you a pretty good deal on one if you want. Shoot me a pm.

Thank D-R, I'll keep you in mind it's gonna be a couple months before I can get one I'm gonna have to start putting back for it but I figure I'll start doing some research now so I'll be ready to make a better decision.

Dixie Rebel
01-08-2011, 01:10 PM
No problem.

russellt
01-08-2011, 02:07 PM
not wanting to step on any toes here :eyebrow: hi-eva. whichever model you decide to get i would advise getting it new and not used . with a new unit you know what you have ........ ;)

coinnut
01-08-2011, 02:12 PM
PM sent on the Omega. ;)

RounderRick
01-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Goodness surely somebody here swings and knows something about the omega 8000 :(

coinnut
01-13-2011, 08:16 PM
Goodness surely somebody here swings and knows something about the omega 8000 :(

Not many people I know of swing that machine. With so many other brands to choose from, it kinda takes a back seat sometimes. Other than the PM I sent you on it, I don't know any more info on that model.

CBAILEY
01-29-2011, 11:24 PM
I used one for about 3 months and it did really well up to 6 or 7 inchs. I wish i didn't sell it now. didn't give it long enough or use it enough. I went for the etrac. The omega is really light and has multiple settings yet is easy to use. check out you tube if you can there is probably 5-10 videos on it. Craig

RounderRick
01-30-2011, 02:44 AM
I used one for about 3 months and it did really well up to 6 or 7 inchs. I wish i didn't sell it now. didn't give it long enough or use it enough. I went for the etrac. The omega is really light and has multiple settings yet is easy to use. check out you tube if you can there is probably 5-10 videos on it. Craig

Thank you Craig, Since I started this post I have got me an omega and I kinda hated to but I sold my mxt to mainly due to the weight of it and I have shoulder problems.
We finally had a decent day today and I took the omega out for a few hours to the park down the road.
I am really impressed with the way it did I dug a few coins around 7 inches and couldn't believe the vdi was correct and not jumping around like the mxt did that deep.
I can't wait to get the extra coils for it they say the 11 dd is a killer on it but from what I seen today with the stock 10 it's not to shabby itself.

Gredge
02-02-2011, 08:16 PM
Hi Ricky, how's your shoulder doing, I had a sporting back injury 25 or so years ago and it still gives me problems. Have to work around it. Don't know why it always plays up when the Wife has jobs for me, funny that.
I looked at plenty of detectors over two months until deciding on th Spectra V3i. The Omega 8000 was in my top 5. One thing that swayed me away from some brands was the price diff in the U.K. White's pricing seemed quite fair, but Minelab was way more expensive in the U.K. Fisher lab group sort of in the middle.
The Omega 8000 has got some top reviews in the U.K. which was why it was in my list.

All the best.

Gredge.

RounderRick
02-03-2011, 03:35 AM
Hi Ricky, how's your shoulder doing, I had a sporting back injury 25 or so years ago and it still gives me problems. Have to work around it. Don't know why it always plays up when the Wife has jobs for me, funny that.
I looked at plenty of detectors over two months until deciding on th Spectra V3i. The Omega 8000 was in my top 5. One thing that swayed me away from some brands was the price diff in the U.K. White's pricing seemed quite fair, but Minelab was way more expensive in the U.K. Fisher lab group sort of in the middle.
The Omega 8000 has got some top reviews in the U.K. which was why it was in my list.

All the best.

Gredge.

Hi Gredge was glad to see you made it over here it's a great forum with a lot of helpful members.
Better take care of that back and not pick up nothing no heavier than the detector and tools.
As for my shoulder it just comes and goes the pain not near like it was before I had surgery on it bout 3 years ago.
Only been able to get out with the omega this past week end the weather around here has just been awful cold, rain, snow or all of the above but I think I'm gonna like it a lot when I can really get out with it and learn more about it.

Gredge
02-03-2011, 05:50 AM
Hey Ricky, don't get any pain most of the time, just can't lift very heavy weights above shoulder level. If I forget it gives me a reminder twinge, but mostly it's not an issue. Too many extreme sports when your younger takes it's toll.
Are weather has been pants for any form of detecting, snow/rain frozen ground can't wait till spring. I don't mind cold but digging frozen soil ain't no fun.
Hope you enjoy your 8000.

Gredge.