PDA

View Full Version : why i like detecting!! how about you

russellt
01-08-2011, 06:35 PM
ive been at this about 5 years now.. so,besides the obvious reward of finding something of value for free i like the solitude of being alone with my machine out wondering around seemingly aimlessly finding the goods . i like the rush i get finding gold jewelry or silver coins knowing that the next swing could be something awesome.. its good exercise . and can easily pay for itself as a hobby........ and its just good old fashioned dirty FUN.. i wanted to be an archeologist growing up. now im living the dream ,as it were. 8)

coinnut
01-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Besides what you mentioned, I love the wildlife. I love the connection to a paticular area, I love the challenge of finding something I can feel is there, and I love the break from the day to day drab.

Epi-hunter
01-08-2011, 09:52 PM
ive been at this about 5 years now.. so,besides the obvious reward of finding something of value for free i like the solitude of being alone with my machine out wondering around seemingly aimlessly finding the goods . i like the rush i get finding gold jewelry or silver coins knowing that the next swing could be something awesome.. its good exercise . and can easily pay for itself as a hobby........ and its just good old fashioned dirty FUN.. i wanted to be an archeologist growing up. now im living the dream ,as it were. 8)

Good post :)

I don't know what drew me to this hobby, but I love old things and places. In their original place and condition. I love digging up an old coin or relic that I know hands haven't touched in 100 years or however long. I love knowing that I am the first person to resurrect that coin or relic from the ground since it was originally lost.

I love walking through old abandoned houses and properties when I get the chance. Imagining what it was like then. I especially love detecting in rural areas, very isolated. The silence is deafening.

I love the silence and solitude and the opportunity of being alone with myself and my thoughts and no one to bother me and the thrill of knowing what I might find.

I think that many of us, as children, used to be 'collectors'. I collected coins and stamps as a child.

IDXit
01-08-2011, 09:53 PM
Yep, I'm with you Russ....You just never know what will turn up next... thumbsup01 thumbsup01 Is this one great hobby......or....what... <: <:

M-Taliesin
01-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Howdy Pard!
While I have a whole lot of fun detecting, and meet some terrific people out there, I'm in it for the gold! Silver is fine, but I'm after the gold. Simple as that.

Gunning for Gold!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

odave
01-08-2011, 10:49 PM
Just getting outside and being left alone sometimes is great ..no phones...
peace and quite aside from the sound of the threshold humming..

Evan/tn
01-09-2011, 08:56 AM
I like to envision the past as it was were Im hunting,and being the first to find and touch something lost so long ago is a big part of the thrill.

Dixie Rebel
01-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Stay out of my head Evan That is what I was going to say :poke: I like to get out and metal detect and doing so I get a chance do what I love most. And what ever I find be it good or bad I can bring it back here for all to see.

Jeff (or)
01-09-2011, 11:22 AM
When I go detecting and slip my headphones on, i'm in my own little world. For me it's peaceful and relaxing. Every hunt is different, it never gets boring. I enjoy hunting alone, but if you go on a hunt with your buddies, it don't get no better. And when you make a great find....it's like Christmas morning. :yes:

Carl in Louisiana
01-09-2011, 12:40 PM
I'll try to make this as short as I can.

It all started when I was around 7-8 yrs old my Dad had bought a lot that had a old house, a make shift garage, and some old chicken houses on it. After buying and placing a house trailer on the lot next to the old house Dad began tearing down the chicken house's to plant a garden. He had said that would be the perfect spot and would make a beautiful garden. As far back as I can remember he always had a garden and a green thumb to go with it.
It was raining one morning and I was full of energy and going nuts inside so I thought I would make good use of that old garage. I set off to seek shelter and a terrific place to play outside and not get wet. I am not sure just what had caused me to start digging around in the dirt and shell floor but I did. The first hole revealed a glass jar with a lid on it but rusted up a good bit and it had something in it and kinda heavy. Well my little mind went nuts struggling to get that darn lid off. Finally got it off and began pulling out an old rag and the contents of the rag with it. Well when I opened up that rag and saw all the grease and the silver shinning objects I just lost it and ran to the house with everything to show my mother and to clean up the silver objects that I knew was coins but not what kind. Mom helped get them clean and it was coins dating back into the early and mid 1800's. I sat on the couch looking over that awesome find and kinda mesmerized by the near perfect looking coins and then a thought seared through my brain there's more out there gotta go dig for it. Well that's what I did and to make a longer story shorter I ended up digging the whole floor of that on garage up and filled a gallon glass jar full of the same old coins.
Then one day our trailer house burned down to the ground and all those coins melted down to a large pile of silver and copper mixture about an inch or so high. The great thing was that no family members were lost in the fire.
I know deep down in my heart that there is another horde to be found and that is the drive behind me. A vision if you will to unearth that next treasure that has not seen daylight for a hundred years or more. The joy of the fresh air, the sunshine, time alone with my thoughts all those great things, I think, I was born with and just add to the quest for the next great find.

Toadman
01-09-2011, 01:01 PM
I collected some coins as a kid, One day as a grownup an older dude came into the place that was making my business cards , and showerd the woman there an old metal soldier he scored from the beach.. I thought how cool is that !! :shocked04:
Took a few more years, but finnaly got my first detector.. I was off and running from then on

I too enjoy the peace to be found in the woods especially..Finding old stuff rules !!! :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01:

Carver
01-09-2011, 04:51 PM
I get such a rush when I see silver in the hole or plug,,,,makes me wonder who lost it and if they ever missed it.

wagon wheel
01-10-2011, 11:52 AM
I've owned a cheap detector for nearly thirty years, but never really thought I had the time to devote to the activity as needed. I had used the detector to find a few clad coins and even a wedding ring a couple in town had tossed in their front yard during the heat of conflict. I think I finally got tired of digging mostly trash...which was the true reason I walked away from metal detecting shortly after first starting three decades ago. Then two and a half years ago I was involved in an auto accident that left me with a post concussion syndrome...I had my bell rung quite significantly. :shocked01: :twirlingeyes: :twirlingeyes:It was at that time that I read an ad in the local Nickel Ads where someone wanted to sell a White's DFX at a significantly reduced price. I got on the internet and researched the DFX and decided to take the next step and make the purchase. In doing so, I really wanted to become acquainted with the machine in order to obtain maximum enjoyment/benefit from its use. As I purchased the DFX the guy who sold it to me told me one of the best things I could do would be to go to one of the older football fields in town and methodically start at one end and work my way to the other and dig everything that produced a signal. Wow...what a learning experience. Not only did I learn the machine, I discovered how therapeutic it was for me in healing from my head injury. The required concentration was of utmost benefit to me in terms of helping me focus and think about what was going on in my head while I processed the different sounds from the machine.

After the football field experience I started detecting old homestead sites, found some older coins and the rest is history...as they say. thumbsup01 thumbsup01

w.w.

todklo
01-10-2011, 05:34 PM
I have to agree with all of you. I like the peace and quiet and the excitement of what I might find. Finding lost treasures from days gone by.
Indy was the one that got me started 2 years ago. I collected coins when I was young and Indy and I grew up together....we traded coins every once in a while. Little did I know as we grew older...and apart...He was a White's Dealer for a time. :bangahead01:
I wish 35 years ago He would have introduced me into this great hobby. It is nice now hunting with my childhood Friend. (no....He doesn't wear the Dress when we go). lol

pulltabsteve
01-10-2011, 05:50 PM
I like the peace and quiet in the woods mostly. Finding a cool piece of history makes you think back in time. My first old coin was an 1802 Large cent. That penny could have bought a bale of hay back then!

Dimeman
01-11-2011, 09:07 PM
I started coin collection when I was 9 or 10. After the mid 60's it was harder and harder to find coins in pocket change. I saw an ad for a detector in my dads mechanix illustrated, and the ad said detectors finds coins. Wanting to add to my coin collection of Mercury dimes ( Dimeman) and since the company was in the neighbor hood I bought one. This was in late 1969-------------

The thrill of not knowing what you will dig up next and digging up lost coins, jewelry and relic items that someone used years ago--knowing you are the 1st to touch it in many, many years is so interesting and exciting.

giant056
01-11-2011, 09:28 PM
I've collected coins since I was a kid and I wanted a metal detector since I was a kid, well the very first one I got was from a guy I worked in a factory with in the mid 70's and I think I gave him $15 for it, now it was a cheap one I left in the closet most of the time that I had it but around 86 a friend asked if he could detect the front yard at the house I was renting and I said go for it, he found a merc with his and a few years later his brother gave me a good deal on the same detector which I still have it's a Whites TR5000D and still works. I liked finding them silver coins but since then I enjoy finding the relics too and I also detect in the water when it's too hot out and the ground is rock hard dry. I'll probably keep metal detecting as long as I can get out and swing the coil.

P.S. Woods are awesome

Dick Stout
01-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Indeed, and that is why detecting in the UK or any European country will blow you away. Finding Roman coins from before the birth of Christ, and/or shortly after really gets you thinking about who was the last person to touch it? Keep in mind these coins are not always that valuable, but to me they are priceless.

Name another pastime that can offer the same.....??

DS
www.stoutstandards.com (http://www.stoutstandards.com)