PDA

View Full Version : SE or Etrac

pulltabsteve
01-08-2011, 08:30 PM
I use the M6 99% of the time I hunt. I like its simplicity. ( insert jokes here) Now I also own the MXT and V3i. I was thinking about getting a minelab. I used the V3i a handful of times and never really took the time to learn it. I guess the SE is easier to learn but is the Etrac a step above the V3i? Ive only used whites machines.

Epi-hunter
01-08-2011, 08:36 PM
I use the M6 99% of the time I hunt. I like its simplicity. ( insert jokes here) Now I also own the MXT and V3i. I was thinking about getting a minelab. I used the V3i a handful of times and never really took the time to learn it. I guess the SE is easier to learn but is the Etrac a step above the V3i? Ive only used whites machines.

First of all I don't think the SE is easier to learn than the E-Trac. I think the opposite in fact. Having used both of them. The E-Trac is a step above the SE, also.

I like the E-Trac better for some reasons than the V3i but it's not a fair comparison because although I've owned both machines, I have much more experience on the Minelab. Many people have proven the V3i to be a very deep machine. What I think is fair to say is that the V3i takes more adjusting/personalizing in order for that to happen compared to the E-Trac.

Both have advantages and disadvantages and I think it depends on the balance that most suits you. Just my two cents :)

Judy
01-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Funny you posting this Steveo as I've been pondering on this very machine since early spring. Tho I don't understand much on minelabs, have used friends be4, but what is the difference between the SE and the etrac exactly?

Plus I'm afraid of Minelab customer relations :lipssealed:

coinnut
01-08-2011, 08:48 PM
I think if you live anywhere within 200 miles of me you should stay with what you have lol The E Trac will bring you nothing but headaches. After all look at the headaches Angel got from it :shocked01: I'm partial to the E trac since that is what I use. It's faster than the SE and balanced better and has a much better coil (although you can buy that coil for the SE). Some experienced SE owners had issues with what I think is, that fact that it doesn't have a true all metal mode. I'm not real sure on this, but I think it's because the E Trac, with no discrimination showing on the screen, still goes through the disc circuitry and assignes it a tone. The SE (I think) can be a true all metal detector. But overall the E Trac is finding things in areas that previous experienced SE owners have already done. That is a general statement I know :rolleyes: but it based on posts I have read from SE owners that switched to the ET. As for comparing it to the V3i, I think it's a bit too soon for that, as not many detectorists can buy both machines (pricy :blackeye:) and learn each well enough to give a fair comparrison. For me, I always look over the finds and compare them. That way I know what is possible to find with each machine, even if I an not good enough for those results. So there you have it. You are still at square 1. lol

pulltabsteve
01-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Thanks Angie! I always just thought the SE was easier to use and quicker to learn. Interesting. And George, george, george.... I wouldnt be invading your territory. Your always so far into the woods I wouldnt be able to find you. Besides, you're the burger king or copper king or something rofl Thanks for the opinions. I will be looking for a used Etrac or SE when I decide which one will be better for me.

coinnut
01-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Besides, you're the burger king or copper king or something rofl

It's the Burger Meister :rolleyes:

BHNugget
01-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Hi Steve,I just got the ETrac and have only been able to take it out to learn the language a little because of our weather.I read and reread Andy's book and am liking what Im learning.I hunted with the V3 for almost two years and made some very nice finds with it.My V3 was an awesome machine but the constant coil problems I had made my confidence in the machine drop.In my mind (and probably my mind only) the i upgrade was a way to stop the complaints of constant falsing by new users of the V3 who were to impatient to learn a hot machine and also probably widened the null parameters of the D2 coils to deal with that issue.Coming from strictly Whites machines,I have to say that Andy's book is what broke the minelab language barrier for me.Now I have sweet sounding deep targets marked in a notebook to dig this spring because the ground is too darn hard to get at them now. :beerbuddy:

pulltabsteve
01-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Just trying to see which minelab would be right for me. A buddy of mine bought a used explorer xs? a few years ago and loved it. Guess I'll have to read up on The explorer xs, the SE and the Etrac and make a decision. I'll probably sell the V unless I get a good cheap deal on a minelab.

Dixie Rebel
01-09-2011, 10:13 AM
The Etrac is very nice from what I have heard. But I also heard that customer support is lacking. I am eyeballing one now or a v3i within the next month or so income tax refund coming soon. I like the way minelabs operate and they do go deep. But i also like the support of whites they cannot be beat on customer service.

Judy
01-09-2011, 11:41 AM
That exactly was has been hampering me...customer support! You can't beat Whites for support & service...they bend over backwards to keep their clients happy - and that's a good thing.

But I've heard way too many horror stories about Minelabs service/support...and I don't like the idea of having to send a machine across the ocean or to Vegas for a small repair :shocked04: Living in Canada, it would cost me a small fortune in posting :crazy: :crazy:

Decisions, decisions - I don't think of the now, I think of 2 yrs. from now & the service :-\

Still sitting on that stupid fence :dontknow:

greg
01-09-2011, 12:29 PM
That exactly was has been hampering me...customer support! You can't beat Whites for support & service...they bend over backwards to keep their clients happy - and that's a good thing.

But I've heard way too many horror stories about Minelabs service/support...and I don't like the idea of having to send a machine across the ocean or to Vegas for a small repair :shocked04: Living in Canada, it would cost me a small fortune in posting :crazy: :crazy:

Decisions, decisions - I don't think of the now, I think of 2 yrs. from now & the service :-\

I am right with you on this one Judy. I am planning to buy a E-trac soon, but just not sure about costomer service.

Epi-hunter
01-09-2011, 03:51 PM
I don't know about the customer service issue. I know the service is available in the US and I have heard people say that they have not had any problems, but I have not had a need to use the customer service so I have no first-hand experience there.

The Pro coil is the way to go. It's an incredible coil. It comes standard on the E-Trac and is on the later versions of the SE (the SE Pro). If you get an SE, make sure it's the Pro version, in my opinion.

As for how the SE varies from the E-Trac... it is a different beast. Basically what they did with the E-Trac was to increase the variation between 'good' target signals.

Targets are measured on the Exporer Series machines and the E-Trac using a combination of two numbers: Ferrous (the ferrous content of the target) and Conductive (the conductiveness of the target). In general, targets with high conductive numbers are 'good' targets (i.e. silver). Gold is an exception, as it comes in lower (bottom/middle).

On the SE, the Ferrous/Conductive curve graph is 'S' shaped -- which just basically means that at the top and bottom of the graph (ie at very low and very high conductive values), there is very little difference between good targets. See my graph below:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/SEvsETrac.gif

The blue curve is the SE. You can see that at the bottom area of the curve (where gold tends to fall) and at the top of the curve (where silver falls) there is not a lot of variation between targets in the Conductive value, while there is a good deal more variation in the Ferrous value. This is why a lot of SE users (myself included) preferred to use Ferrous sounds on this machine -- meaning that the machine gives a tone based on the ferrous content of the target instead of on the conductive content as most machines do.

So to summarize, identification of the targets at the very top or bottom of the curve (where most people look for good targets) is determined mostly by the Ferrous content of the target. Versus the middle portion, where it is determined mostly by the Conductive content.

But on the E-Trac, they re-engineered things so that the S-shaped curve turned into a vertical line (green line on graph). The goal was to make the variation between the desirable targets to be projected onto the Conductive scale with very little variation on the Ferrous scale.

Therefore, the Conductive target IDs are much more stable and accurate on the E-Trac than on the SE. Good targets on the E-Trac have a ferrous number at, or very close to, 12.

There are other things that were improved also, including an issue with the Iron mask somewhat related to what I described above, where good targets on the SE were being cut off when Iron Mask was employed.

So E-Trac is really not just an improved Explorer, but it's a completely different machine. Hope this helps somewhat.

edit: By the way, this info came from Andy Sabisch's book, which is well worth the read.

coinnut
01-09-2011, 07:02 PM

Actually Minelab's support is a lot better since they completed a huge manufacturing move. Also moved the repair center to, I think Chicago. They aren't perfect but they make a pretty good machine. Either choice would be a good one.

Judy
01-09-2011, 08:44 PM
Thank Epi!

and thanks coinnut - good to hear they have a center in Chicago...last I heard was overseas or Vegas. I assumed no news is good news too...cause bad news sure travels FAST!

coinnut
01-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Thank Epi!

I assumed no news is good news too...cause bad news sure travels FAST!

You got that right lol Bad news zips across the planet...good news is a slow train to no where :confused: The repair center in Vegas is closed. The manufacturing plant in Ireland is closed and is now in Singapore.

midas
01-10-2011, 08:04 AM

As others have said, the Etrac is the better machine over the SE. It's like the V3i to the DFX. Both the Etrac and V3i are very capable and I would say equal machines, but each depend upon the operator to maximuze their potential. For a White's user, the Etrac will have a steep learning curve, the target sounds are different, FeCo numbers vs VDI and icons, depth bars vs numerical depth reading. For a Minelab user, the White's will have a learning curve. If you're buying a Minelab, don't bother with the SE, just get the top of the line Etrac.

cobill
01-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Wow, wish I had all this pro-help when I was deciding on my first new detector after using a BFO 1970's unit! I ordered a GTI 2500 because it looked cool...returned it for a SE based on a phone call with a rep that told me the ground mineralization in CO was the problem...partially right answer. I could just never figure out the SE sounds/signals/display, even after reading the XS/Explorer book and traded it in on a DFX after seeing one in action...it was easy, simple and very accurate. Now after reading Andy's latest book, I'm ordering the E-trac. I called my dealer and he will help me understand how he uses his E-trac...nothing like dealer support! thumbsup01 I feel alot more confident on what the E-trac is reporting to the user and all of the forum finds has me excited again about the ML product. There are alot of great videos on forums to explain what's not in the manual...it's alot clearer now. Can't wait till my new E-trace arrives! :peace:
Bill

V3i, E-trac, GPX-5000, GB2 and others

angellionel
01-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Both the V3i and the E-Trac are fine machines, however getting the most from either requires patience, time, and a willingness to learn the 'language' of either of those machines. They will perform well, and they will yield great results, but it is going to require effort on the part of the user to achieve such. Eventually, though, much of it tends to become second nature. ;)

Hey Cobill, you will come to love the E-Trac. We have several very experienced members here who use the E-Trac, so feel free to ask questions. I'm sure they will be more than happy to help you become acquainted with your new machine. :yes:

pulltabsteve
01-10-2011, 04:56 PM
You got that right lol Bad news zips across the planet...good news is a slow train to no where :confused: The repair center in Vegas is closed. The manufacturing plant in Ireland is closed and is now in Singapore.

Singapore? I have connections in Singapore :grin:

pulltabsteve
01-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys and gals! I guess the ETrac is the way to go. I have enough detectors to keep me busy. I'll have to keep my eye out for a used ETrac.

Nitro 54
01-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Looks like you might as well learn the V3i language Steve, since you already have it.. :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :thinkingabout:

coinnut
01-10-2011, 05:30 PM

Oops I was close lol Malaysia (north of Singapore) :embarrassed:

Judy
01-17-2011, 02:04 AM

rofl rofl rofl rofl :popcorn: My lips are sealed!!!

dave in iowa
01-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys and gals! I guess the ETrac is the way to go. I have enough detectors to keep me busy. I'll have to keep my eye out for a used ETrac.
steve theirs one on ebay now for 1,050.oo

midas
01-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Be very careful buying a used Minelab as there is no warranty that is transferable.