PDA

View Full Version : A little silver today....

Epi-hunter
11-27-2009, 10:49 PM
... not a lot, but better than shopping! :rolleyes: :)

I am back in Iowa for a couple of days with family and managed to escape... oops, I mean, I managed to get out for a few hours to detect. :) I had a couple of spots that I thought might be promising, and not nearly enough time to try them out. I actually left this morning at 7AM, and it was 27 degrees out :shocked04: :shocked04: I thought my hands were frozen for awhile. But it warmed up nicely by around 10AM.

I hit a local county fairgrounds where I've found some silver coins before, but I need a month to pull the TONS of clad from the 3 to surface so that I can hear what's below. The place is literally covered in clad! I had not enough time to dig it up today. I did find a 1964 silver quarter in one of the trashy areas in front, but I'm sure there is a lot more there to be had.

Then I went to a spot I really like.... not extremely old, but I have found some mercs and rosies there in the past. I enjoy this place because it's so peaceful. Well, except for today. It's located next to a shooting range, and every time a gun went off I had to remind myself that it was not here but in the adjacent property. That is, until I started finding lots of bullets under my coil, then I started wondering about their aiming skills and instinctively ducking with every shot lol Not all that relaxing, but I did manage a 1945d merc and a 1951 rosie. These were found in some really trashy picnic areas as shown in this photo:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/IMGP0099.jpg

In the following photo you can perhaps make out the lake at the bottom of the hill. There used to be a sledding hill around the middle of this photo... you can see the sign if you look closely. In the dead of winter, when the lake was frozen solid and when the snow was thick, people would line up and sled down the hill to land on the frozen lake below. :) I have found silver around this area, and also on the sledding hill itself. I have dug mid-tones in this area, hoping to find rings, but so far haven't. I have by no means covered it all though.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/IMGP0102.jpg

Here are the coins. This photo is horrible; I'm sorry! I also did find some sort of token at the fairgrounds, shown upper right, and four wheats. (Angel will be proud of me for digging four wheats; I never dig four wheats! lol)

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/IMGP0103-1.jpg

Thanks for looking :) HH everyone!

Angie

Bentfork
11-27-2009, 10:53 PM
Hunting trashy areas is rough. Nice work. Very nice take for the day. thumbsup01

angellionel
11-27-2009, 11:24 PM
Those two sites look quite appealing, both for detecting and the quiet time one can no doubt enjoy there. I'm not sure about the times when gunfire would be constantly going off though. lol

Some goods finds, both silver a wheats. And yeah, nice job on the wheats. :grin: ;)

MNDigger
11-27-2009, 11:47 PM
WTG Angie! I bet it felt good to get out and dig some silver! Three in one day is awesome! thumbsup01

Dave
11-28-2009, 12:41 AM
Very nice silver finds, congrats!

OkieDigger
11-28-2009, 03:09 AM
Very nice!

bmattioli
11-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Very nice finds in a trashy area. That's the E-Trac's for you. Sounds like a nice potential spot..

billiard rich
11-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Congrats on the old coins! Nice pics too.

marchas45
11-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Glad to see your'e getting some time to swing even with the doddgy bullets flying. Congrats on your finds especially the silver. Way To Go!!! thumbsup01

del
11-28-2009, 05:25 PM
:shocked04:stretcher: thats a great day Angie and that area looks very relaxing to detect , congrats on the silver

hockeyguy
11-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Very nice...glad you were able to get out for a bit.

SeabeeRon
11-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Good to see you have your priorities order Angie, that whoel &quot:beerbuddy:lack Friday thing confuses me! Congratz on the silver!

Epi-hunter
11-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks everyone :) I went back there today for a couple of hours and found a 1964 rosie, so all in all it was a nice time at a peaceful place (minus the bullets lol )

I continue to learn about the E-trac and to be impressed with what it can do. Today I dug a clad dime literally a couple of inches above a big piece of iron. The E-trac nulled the iron, the threshold tone was gone, the number display was empty, but it screamed out the dime just beautifully :)

coinnut
11-28-2009, 10:10 PM
That's a lot of silver. What got into you:huh: lol Great hunt (minus the bullets :rolleyes:) Glad you got away for a while and got to relax. ;)

Epi-hunter
11-28-2009, 10:38 PM
That's a lot of silver. What got into you:huh: lol Great hunt (minus the bullets :rolleyes:) Glad you got away for a while and got to relax. ;)

Yes, it is a decent amount. :) My problem is that my perspective is completely thrown off because I spend too much time interacting with a certain other person who finds WAAAYYY too much silver lol

coinnut
11-28-2009, 10:40 PM
Yes, it is a decent amount. :) My problem is that my perspective is completely thrown off because I spend too much time interacting with a certain other person who finds WAAAYYY too much silver lol

Oh that's easy to fix, Just sprinkle some copper pellets where ever he goes lol. But taping a wire to his coil works too thumbsup01

Epi-hunter
11-28-2009, 10:58 PM
Oh that's easy to fix, Just sprinkle some copper pellets where ever he goes lol. But taping a wire to his coil works too thumbsup01

lol I'll keep that in mind for next time lol

xzlr8n
11-28-2009, 11:02 PM
Sometimes I'd take the MD over family anyday. Your great escape paid off well, congrats on the Silver...