PDA

View Full Version : Let's Come Together! Your best relic ever!

M-Taliesin
01-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Howdy Folks!
Let's all come together as One!
For those members of the American Detectorist forum who have been here before the deluge, and those of us recently arrived, I'd like to put up a few posts to bring everybody together so we are just one big happy family of AD'ers.

In that spirit, I'd like to open this thread to everybody! And it is a simple start.

For this particular thread, show us your very best relic find ever. I know that this is one of those questions folks ask us when we're out detecting, and we find tough to answer because we all have many finds that are outsanding, and picking out just one ain't easy! But I'd like to ask that everybody post just one or two of their best of the best relics found ever. We all have one or two particularly oustanding finds, those that stand out head and shoulders above all the rest. That's what I'm looking for in this thead.

Whether you've been on this forum since Custer died, or newly arrived, strut your stuff and show it off.
Again, just show us one or two of your most outstanding relic finds ever.

I will post mine later, but wanted to get this thread up and going right away. Snowing here in Colorado, and I don't think I'll get out today so this might prove entertaining!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Ok, I guess i'll start.
like you said there are so many nice finds and it was hard to decide but the most exciting besides my civil war eagle officers sword plate buckle... i'd have to say these 2 George Washington 1789 Inaugural Buttons, dug 2 months apart this past year.
Dave

coinnut
01-09-2011, 08:34 PM
This is even harder than the coin catagory lol Hands down this is my best relic find to date. I chose this because it has historical importance and if I remember the Archaeologists talk about it correctly...no one has ever seen a brass arrow point from the Pequot tribe, this old. It is a first example from 1637. It was the first point of the hunt (1 of 2 for me) and open up all our eyes on what these early points may look like. It was a very unexpected size (small) and it tells a lot about the lack of available brass material. The second point I found is even more unusual. It's unexpected size (very narrow and long) was a shock to all of us. All available brass was made into points, even if they didn't function well (as apparently this one didn't). I don't believe I will ever find an older, more important historical find in my lifetime.

giant056
01-09-2011, 09:03 PM
I found this solid shot 12 pounder where there was excavating going on where CW training was in Battle Creek, the day before an oldtimer found a beautiful union army breastplate about 100 ft from where I found this cannonball. My brother and I found quite a few 3 ringers in this area also along with many old coins and relics, I found a really neat ivory cameo there also. I found the cannonball with and overload signal from my MXT, I brushed the dirt with my boot and seen the iron dome and thought naw it can't be, needless to say being in clay it took me a long time digging to get this one out. It originally was probably 3 feet down before the earth movers removed all the dirt.

I just had to do an edit on this post, I also added a set of Captain's bars that I found there also, all three of these items came from probably no more than 200 feet from each other.

Epi-hunter
01-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Wow, some really incredible finds. Great thread! :)

M-Taliesin
01-09-2011, 11:17 PM
Howdy Folks!
My personal best relic find was a small lid that probably came from a perfume bottle or perhaps a small jar of some sort of cream.

Mary Garden was a Scottish opera soprano who rose to fame in both Europe and America. She was often referred to as the Sarah Bernhardt of the opera. Rigaud of Paris was a master perfumer who simply used her image on his products to capitolize on her fame. Since he hadn't bothered to secure her permission to use her image, she sued Rigaud in court and won a judgment against the perfumer.
You can read more about the history of Mary Garden, et al, here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Garden

This was found in Brighton when a resident asked me not to be hunting in their property. Actually I was hunting easements which are public property. But rather than argue or debate that particular homeowner, I simply excused myself and walked across the street to a vacant lot and continued hunting. It was down maybe two inches deep there.

The item had a mirror on the reverse side, which was broken, so it wasn't really very mirror like.

Anyhow, this was the best relic I've found so far.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

dave in iowa
01-10-2011, 01:38 PM
here are some of my favorite relic finds . 1st one is a wooden match box from around 1860 .,next is a officers infantry button and name badge from the same guy, from the house he built in 1856 and the
powder flask, date ? also this calvery button