PDA

View Full Version : The Old Mechanic

Dick Stout
01-09-2011, 04:27 PM
Took my car in for repair last Tuesday, and took it to a locale garage in town. We usually go there for routine repairs, and they habve always been reasonable and fair. In any case I started chatting with the older of the owners (father/son business) and when he asked how he could get hold of me I pulled out one of my cards and handed it to him.

He looked at it and asked what Stout Standards was, and I explained my website, my pastime, etc.. Well he started talking non-stop about old places in town and out of town , and I had to hold him up in order to jot down a few notes.

One place was just an empty lot close by, but according to Butch there used to be two old homes on it, both dating back to the turn of the century. Managed to get out there yesterday and spent about two hours. Came back with the two Mercs, one corroded V-Nickel, two corroded Indian Heads, and a couple of newer coins. Not great but not too shabby, and I have a feeling there's a lot more there.

Just proves a point that there are place out there, and you need to find the right old timer to tell you about them. I still have three more possible leads to work on as well.

Don't post a lot on forums, but Tana sweet talked me into this.... I appreciate her and all she has done to share her stories on my website. Thanks Tana.

Dick Stout
01-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Well let me try the photo one more time....knew there was a reason I don't post on forums.

Salty Dog
01-09-2011, 04:34 PM
Nice recovery's thumbsup01,it pays to listen to us old folks,I'm 58,Yeah I know :rolleyes:they can turn you on to some great sites,Take care and best of luck,Dave

del
01-09-2011, 04:36 PM
great tip about gathering some info and about the finds your right not to shabby at all Mr.Stout , i like the suspender clip too.congrats :clapping:

Carver
01-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Great finds!!! Bets of luck on the return thumbsup01

odave
01-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Good finds !! Congrats Dick :beerbuddy: And You're right it pays too listen to the old timers !

Dimeman
01-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Old coins sure look good don't they??

Glad to see you post some of your finds. :)

Dick, You still have a lot to offer..........even if you think you said it all already. 8)

Robbie

Dick Stout
01-09-2011, 05:59 PM
thanks you'all...will keep you posted on the return trips as well as the others.

Robbie, understand what you are saying, but after 25 years of writing I get tired of reading it. Will try to do better...

Dick
www.stoutstandards.com (http://www.stoutstandards.com)

PS: Will put Tana's blurb on my website tomorrow morning...

Dimeman
01-09-2011, 06:09 PM
thanks you'all...will keep you posted on the return trips as well as the others.

Robbie, understand what you are saying, but after 25 years of writing I get tired of reading it. Will try to do better...

Dick
www.stoutstandards.com (http://www.stoutstandards.com)

PS: Will put Tana's blurb on my website tomorrow morning...

I can understand that you would get tired of reading the same thing....like reading those history books while in school-----it was the same old stuff-----BORING !!!!! but finding something to spark an interest in history( like digging up my Camp Logan items and coins) and it changes your perspective about it.......

maybe you could try and figure out a new and improved way to say it ?? :thinkingabout:

Robbie

Evan/tn
01-09-2011, 07:27 PM
That's some real good finds thumbsup01
A little bit of everything!

russellt
01-09-2011, 07:31 PM
if thats pretty good day i would love to see a hunt your proud of thumbsup01.. a V nickle. couple mers, injuns, relics .. are ya kidding thats a great hunt :clapping:

coinnut
01-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Very nice hunt thumbsup01 Just goes to show you a small lead can bring you a good day hunting. It pays to talk :yes: and listen too lol

giant056
01-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Them are some great old coin finds ya got there thumbsup01 congrats on them silvers, V and Indians

tanacat
01-10-2011, 10:55 AM
:clapping: Congrats on your finds, I have yet to find a V Nickel. What years are the mercs- I guess no key dates or yu would've mentioned :) And what is that doo-dad on the far right? Nothing like small-talk with locals to find some good places to hunt. I bet you'll be going back there....

Thanks for posting my story on your website (getting fired at by shotgun :shocked04:stretcher:) I haven't shared it here on the forum yet lol

Diggler
01-10-2011, 02:03 PM
By Texas standards you had a VERY good 2 hour hunt! Sometimes it seems my only hope around here is to find the fountain of youth, live another hundred years, and dig up some antique clad. Good show and thanks for posting.

Cheap Thrills
01-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Welcome aboard SIR !!! What a great surprise . Checked out your website , nice , I know where I will be visiting on the next rainy day . 8). Nice finds . thumbsup01 thumbsup01

wagon wheel
01-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Nice finds for sure!!! thumbsup01 Thanks for sharing...can't wait for your next posting of success! :cheering:

w.w.

Dixie Rebel
01-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Very nice finds thumbsup01

Nitro 54
01-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Nice finds thumbsup01 That was a good tip :peace:

cnr_dogs
01-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Nice finds way to utilize your resources

Goat Rancher
01-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Congrats on some nice old coins. thumbsup01 I'm with you...........there is more there. :thinkingabout: