PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Idaho

IdahoBob
01-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Newbie here. Semi-retired in Idaho. Looking to buy my first Metal Detector. :drool:

jkress
01-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Welcome aboard IdahoBob. thumbsup01

This is a great site with lots of great hunters and info. You should be able to get many of the answers you're looking for on a new detector purchase right here.

It's a fantastic hobby... as well as a very addicting one. :yes:

coinnut
01-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Welcome aboard IdahoBob :clapping: You are entering a great hobby. The thrill of finding long lost coins and relics is hard to describe. As for getting a brand of machine? You will get many different answers. Everyone has a favorite. So ask a lot of questions and take your time deciding on a machine. My #1 rule on picking a machine is: You must feel comfortable using the machine. It must feel good to you and not necessarily be the most expensive or complicated machine out there. Good luck and nice to have you here.

Carver
01-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Welcome Bob!! Tons of info here thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01

del
01-10-2011, 04:15 PM
hello Bob and welcome to American Detectorist , as others have said do your homework and find out what kind of detecting you would like to do . then read up on the different types of machines all have their strengths and weaknesses , also joining a club in your area is a great way to learn and meet people really close to you that can help you hands on . please feel free to ask alot of questions Bob thats why we're here , to help and learn.

Dan

RaZR
01-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Welcome BoB!!! <:
Glad to see new detectorists showing up. Instead of just old guys from some other site. rofl
Just so you know most top of the line machines are kinda expensive. You may want to start with a less costly model and if you really get hooked on this hobby pay out the big $$$ for a better one later. Then you'll have a backup/loaner for a friend to hunt with you. thumbsup01

odave
01-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Welcome Bob !! Nice to have You Here :beerbuddy:

Judy
01-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Hi Bob...choices/choices THAT's the hardest part :yes:

IdahoBob
01-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Thanks everyone! I've been checking out the Minelabs E-Trac and White's V3i. So far, I'm more attracted to the E-Trac...

Dixie Rebel
01-10-2011, 05:12 PM
Hi IdahoBob and welcome. We have whites, minelab, tesoro, users on here and everything in between. No matter what detector you decide on someone here will be sure to help you bud.

Toadman
01-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Welcome sir !! For a first machine, You may want to think of a machine that's easy to use, You don't want to get frustrated immediately..

Epi-hunter
01-10-2011, 05:37 PM
Hi Bob and welcome :)

I think it depends on the person as to what type of machine to start out with. No matter what machine you choose, though, there will be a learning curve and you just need to consider that part of the fun :happydance01:

IdahoBob
01-10-2011, 06:18 PM
I will do alot of reading before I buy. Maybe I'll get something simple first. We'll see... Always appreciate the help!

Carl in Louisiana
01-10-2011, 06:42 PM
Hey Bob glad to have you aboard :peace: I can't say anything about other brands as I have never used them I have used the White's MXT and that is an awesome first time detector and they have come out with the MXT Pro gives you some extra features but still the same MXT. You might want to go and check out all the comments about the V3i if you are leaning that way study it real hard before buying.

Evan/tn
01-10-2011, 07:11 PM
Hi Bob and welcome to the forum
Good luck on which ever kind of detector you decide on,read the forum and ask some questions :popcorn:

Jeff (or)
01-10-2011, 08:58 PM
WElcome! A lot of people in the know here, got questions, just ask! :beerbuddy:

giant056
01-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Welcome to the forum Bob thumbsup01 it's a good one for sure!

zrickkid
01-11-2011, 12:49 AM
Welcome from frozen over Illinois!! :frozen: :frozen: :frozen:

trippleg3
01-11-2011, 09:51 AM
I run Tesoro's myself but you can't go wrong with a Whites

Salty Dog
01-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Welcome Bob,We look foward to seeing the great finds you will get this season,there are lots of tectors out there and you have to play simple versus tectnical,Try to find some one and use theirs to make sure you are hooked before dropping the big bucks on an expensive unit,I went thru an used older unit ,then jumped on an $1400.00 unit,it has paid for it's self a couple of times over...Best of luck,Feel free to pick our minds,we like talking tecting,Dave

fastfwd
01-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Welcome sir !! For a first machine, You may want to think of a machine that's easy to use, You don't want to get frustrated immediately..

Bob this is good info. I have a good friend in Boise Idaho that got the minelab e track,after he had used a turn on and go detector for a few years. He got so frustrated he lost interest and almost gave up on detecting. he finally found someone to help him with the hundreds of settings and now is doing better. But for a newbie i suggest a good turn on ground balance and dig detector. I myself have the whites MXT. A good friend i worked with had a fisher 75 both easy to use and well if you dont get the coil over a target makes no difference what machine your using :) The guy with the Fisher is now in hog heaven using the minelab E track. Start easy and buy a new one with your findings :)

Ill Digger
01-12-2011, 12:50 PM
:grin: Welcome to the forum from the frozen corn fields of Illinois !! :frozen:
Yep there's lots of choices out there.
The Whites Prizm line and the Garrett Ace line of detectors are good entery level machines at a decent price too. :yes:

russellt
01-12-2011, 04:28 PM
welcome aboard bob. now , whats the password? im jokin this forum is a wealth of info .. youll love it