PDA

View Full Version : There's gotta be a coil guru here somewhere...

Jack Flynn
11-28-2009, 08:00 PM
I've asked before and really would like to know, why would one coil sound better than another. Can a coil be made sloppy? Is a coil a precision made instrument that if say one strand has a slight blemish in the wire would affect it in someway? Just wondering.....

rcsnake
11-29-2009, 12:13 PM
I've asked before and really would like to know, why would one coil sound better than another. Can a coil be made sloppy? Is a coil a precision made instrument that if say one strand has a slight blemish in the wire would affect it in someway? Just wondering.....

Loops can be different just by how tight the windings of each individual coil are and the shape of the coil (cross section view) from the winding of the coil.

Then the construction of the loop has the possibility for many things to go wrong, are the solder joints good and not a cold joint, a loose wire in the loop, and then maybe a bad shield connection to name a few. There are many things that can go wrong inside the loop and then tolerances of the windings of the coil but this gets back to how tightly they are wound.

So Loops can vary some and still be in the manufactures specifications for the loop. However the instrument should be able to adjust for the small amount of differences in the loop. Usually just turning the sensitivity up or down a few numbers should take care of these differences in the loop.

Hopefully this answered your question some as I tried to keep it simple and not get to technical on this subject as most would be bored with it.

rcsnake