PDA

View Full Version : What detector to buy?

IdahoBob
01-11-2011, 07:56 PM
So I need to choose a metal detector. Yes, I'm new to detecting, but I still want decent equipment. I'm a computer programmer (35 years) so I want one I can do a little programming with, if I can. That's why I like the specs on the ETrac. My budget for detector and necessary accessories is $2K. I'd hate to buy a lower priced one and gouge my budget. I have a sneaky suspicion I will really enjoy this. In my youth I used to drive around, pick up stuff out of people's garbage, fix/clean it up and take it to the swap meet to sell. Made about $200/week in high school (1970). I like free stuff, that is, free for the finding. Don't mind hard work. So, what should I buy?

giant056
01-11-2011, 08:11 PM
I've never used a Minelab but I do have the V3i which is Whites top VLF and there's plenty of bells and whistles on it. You can adjust it to fit your surroundings (type of soil etc), I used the MXT before the V3i but that's not digital like the V3i, the one that I owned before the MXT was whites first digital the Eagle. I make some great finds with mine and from what I've read the V3i and Etrac are about equal on performance.

Epi-hunter
01-11-2011, 08:23 PM
In my youth I used to drive around, pick up stuff out of people's garbage, fix/clean it up and take it to the swap meet to sell.

Yes, you're going to like the hobby very well :)

Since you are a programmer and you seem to be committed to the hobby, I would go for a top of the line machine. :) It really is personal preference as to which machine you choose.

Lots of info here, so read all you can, and please ask questions! There are many very experienced E-Trac and V3i users here. Don't forget to take a look at other brands (Fisher and Tesoro make great detectors). All of the top of the line machines are going to be programmable and customizable.

Beefcake
01-11-2011, 08:25 PM
I've owned both white's and Minelab and I'm really happy with my E-trac...No regrets here!!!

pulltabsteve
01-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Epi- Hunter gave you good advice. Most manufacturers top of the line machines are programmable. If you have a local metal detector dealer close by, it would be a good idea to pay them a visit so you can get the feel for the machines. Make sure any projects around the house are finished, because once you start detecting, everything gets put on hold! :peace: :happydance01:

RaZR
01-11-2011, 08:44 PM
Top of the line.....
E-Trac
V3i
Don't know enough about either to say which is better.
I have a V3 that isn't updated. But haven't had it out in the field yet.
I see people using both and finding great things with them.
I see people using less expensive machines finding great things.
I don't think you can go wrong with whichever one you choose.
It's a matter of testing them out and seeing which is the one you like best!
I got mine on E-bay because i already spent big money on my other detectors and needed to save a few $$$'s on the V3.

Dick Stout
01-11-2011, 09:27 PM
There are Fords and there are Chevy's..... and there are people who only will buy one or the other...

Having been involved in the pastime for many years I have used them all, and they all met
my needs at the time. Currently I am using the V3 and the MXT. I don't care to get involved in a lot of programming. I would much rather spend my time researching, and finding a good site to take it to. Ultimately if you are not on the right site it won't matter how sophisticated your detector is.

You will surely get an idea of all this on this forum, and no matter your choice you will have fun and enjoy the hell out of this pastime. Just my two cents worth...

DS
www.stoutstandards.com (http://www.stoutstandards.com)

coinnut
01-11-2011, 10:30 PM
For my type of hunting I love the Etrac. It's a super park machine and a super relic hunting machine. I haven't tried the beach with it, but hope to do so this Spring.

dave in iowa
01-11-2011, 10:44 PM
get an e-track, im selling my se to get an e-track, everything ive heard from these good folks and others i know and trust convinced me

fastfwd
01-12-2011, 11:46 AM
get an e-track, im selling my se to get an e-track, everything ive heard from these good folks and others i know and trust convinced me

Just from what a friend with the e track tells me it is one great machine ! for instance he can run say a buffalo nickle across the coil and the machine will remember it, then go out and set it to find nothing but buffalo nickles !

M-Taliesin
01-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Howdy Pard!
Let me answer by saying, I have a v3i, and am looking to maybe buying an eTrack next time around.
Meanwhile, I get deadly accurate results with my MXT Pro, and it does the job real good. I find lots of
gold and silver, so for my money, it is a great investment. My v3i is gathering dust while my MXT Pro
is making the finds. What more can I say?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

IdahoBob
01-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Wow, thanks for the great replies! Lots to think about. I'll be reading. Planning on making a purchase by May this year. And I forgot to mention, being also a musician (piano) I really want one that is generous on the tones.

M-Taliesin
01-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Howdy Amigo!
Don't know about tones on an eTrack for certain, but believe it is limited to only 4. I may be wrong, so don't quote me on that one.

The MXT Pro has, I believe, like 7.

The V3/V3i, as I recall, will give you tons and tons of tones, and if you have perfect pitch, might prove real interesting for you. Documentation on those machines should cover the number of tones the machine will give when you read up on the specs, but unless I am wrong (which is entirely possible this morning) the V3/V3i can give 191 tones.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

coinnut
01-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Howdy Amigo!
Don't know about tones on an eTrack for certain, but believe it is limited to only 4. I may be wrong, so don't quote me on that one.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Hey Mel , The E trac can do 2 or 4 tones and what is called Multi tones. I have not been able to locate how many tones multi tones has, but it has a lot of them. Multi takes some getting used to but that is the fastest way on going through a junk filled park and just cherry picking your signals.

M-Taliesin
01-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Hey Mel , The E trac can do 2 or 4 tones and what is called Multi tones. I have not been able to locate how many tones multi tones has, but it has a lot of them. Multi takes some getting used to but that is the fastest way on going through a junk filled park and just cherry picking your signals.

Howdy Pard!
Thanks for updating that information, and providing an insight on the eTrac.
I like tone I.D., and since eTrack is among units I am considering for my next purchase, that info helps!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Vito
01-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Does whites still have epoxy issues with them coils? What is the best customer service for if the machine quits working while your vacation time... >:\ (or whenever you're going to hunt.)

coinnut
01-12-2011, 03:51 PM
Does whites still have epoxy issues with them coils? What is the best customer service for if the machine quits working while your vacation time... >:\ (or whenever you're going to hunt.)

I'm not sure if they are still having the coil issues. Some say yes, some say no. But I bet they are focused on it for sure. As for best customer service while hunting or on vacation?? NO ONE lol Bring a second detector. It's just not possible to send you one on the spot as a temporary replacement unit. Always plan ahead for special events like a vacation.

Vito
01-12-2011, 03:57 PM
I'm not sure if they are still having the coil issues. Some say yes, some say no. But I bet they are focused on it for sure. As for best customer service while hunting or on vacation?? NO ONE lol Bring a second detector. It's just not possible to send you one on the spot as a temporary replacement unit. Always plan ahead for special events like a vacation.

Wise words. I'll keep them in mind. :yes:

IDXit
01-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your choice.. thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01

Carver
01-13-2011, 08:15 AM
Best of luck to ya!!
Whatever you get,,,,just remember,,,,practice, practice thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01

M-Taliesin
01-13-2011, 08:59 AM
Wow, thanks for the great replies! Lots to think about. I'll be reading.

Howdy Amigo!
I feel a bit ridiculous for not asking some basic stuff, like what do you hope to hunt for? There is a huge difference between the various types of hunting you might wish to engage in. Some folks are focused almost exclusively on nugget hunting. That'd be one category of machine. Others enjoy coin shooting, and that can be a different sort of detector. Still others are avid relic hunters. That's yet another category of machine. Then you have beach hunters who require a device that can easily tranist from wet to dry sand, and that's another difference as not all machines can do that. Finally, there are some who are devoted dive hunters and water detectors are a different can of worms altogether.

So the question arises, what sort of hunting do you think will be your particular niche? It is possible you don't even know yet, and probably won't until you have experienced several different types of hunting and enivronments that hunters enjoy.

Then there's the next question of how do you view yourself in terms of level of interest. There are a variety of those ranging from passing fancy, to weekend warrior, to gnarly hunters who go out as much as possible, to crazy people like me who will begin a hunt a 9:00am, and come home after midnight with the batteries starting to fade out on my headlamp! I do not know you nor your level of interest, but I've seen some folks who spent a whole bunch of money for a high dollar detector and all the trimmings, and used it a few times only to leave it languish in the closet. That ain't a great investment. Others play around with a detector, have a mild level of interest, but don't have the time or amibition to spend many hours hunting or on their knees digging up targets.
Until you experience the hobby, and know how much of your time and energy will go into the hobby, it may be unwise to spend very much money getting an expensive machine.

For example: When I started, I was given an XLT for my birthday. Once I got that thing (not the most expensive in the line, but a real good one!) I got that coil to the soil as often as I could. It caused me to show up late for work more than once, too! But I found some gold jewelry, some old coins, and I was hooked. I used cash from coins I'd found (a couple of buckets of clad) and bought an MXT 300. When I was ready to step up to a more expensive machine, I sold off some gold jewelry and bought a V3/V3i. But I started with a moderately priced machine first, learned what my real interest level was, before investing a whole bunch of money. And the machines I got subsequently were paid for from finds, not out of pocket.

These are legitimate things to consider, and I suggest anybody looking to get into this hobby start off with a moderately priced unit rather than jumping in whole hog with expensive gear that they might never really use much. This ain't meant to be discouraging, but encouraging of taking things on with a clear eyed view about this hobby, which as it turns out, ain't for everybody. Is it for you? I don't know, and until you are doing it awhile, you might not know for certain either. This hobby is like buying a new car. The thing might look perfect from the showroom floor, but not quite so much once you're behind the wheel. Metal detecting might look interesting until you actually do it, then it might turn out it ain't your thing.

Just remember, more expensive isn't necessarily better equipment. I believe I can match results wtih my MXT Pro or MXT 300 that most any hunter with a V3/V3i can achieve. Since I do quite a few competition hunts, I haven't felt I was out-gunned by anybody on the field including them that run with DFX, V3i, eTrack or any other type of machine.

This ain't to dissuade you, but give you some other considerations to mull over before pulling the trigger on a detector purchase.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

applevalleyjoe
01-13-2011, 02:47 PM

Dave, message sent.

russellt
01-13-2011, 09:13 PM
ive always used whites . i have a V3i and im satisfied with it . its the 4th whites machine ive owned.. i guess its whatever you are used to . i hear a lot of good things about the E TRAC but i cant attest to that from personal experience. good luck with what ever you purchase thumbsup01

jkress
01-14-2011, 01:25 AM
From your description it sounds like you are going to be addicted to metal detecting immediately. :yes:

With your budget... you are going to get top shelf stuff and not have any reason to wish for better.

I don't have any experience with anything other than Garrett and Minelab... granted the Garrett was an entry level machine... but I definitely respect/prefer the Minelabs.

From what I see, Whites are fantastic machines too. Either or, you are going to love this hobby. :peace:

IdahoBob
01-14-2011, 05:12 PM
Thanks again for the suggestions! I know I'm going to love MD. I'm a scavenger, an opportunist... :)

Lowjiber
01-14-2011, 05:36 PM
The V3i has 254 tones...each can be used to help identify various VDI ranges (-95 to +95).

Yazoo's program (sticky in White's sub-forum here) makes excellent use of multiple tones...very handy when coin shooting.

Regarding V3i verses E-trac...you can't go wrong with either IMHO.