PDA

View Full Version : Headphone Recommendations

applevalleyjoe
01-11-2011, 09:04 PM
I'm new to detecting and wasn't even aware that I would need headphones, though now it makes sense. I use AKG 501's and 701's for stereo 2-channel listening since I'm partial to symphonic, New Age, and Flamenco music and they are best suited for the highs found here. I use Beyerdynamics for TV and DVD's to get that lower boom. I amp both of these with a small high end portable digital amp. For ipod, iphone, and laptop computer disc music I use Etymotics...clear, separates sounds, has a bit of boom, and places you in the center of the stage.

What should I use for a MINELABS SAFARI? It appears that the top end ones (Gray Ghost, Killer Bees, etc.) are all about the same price. What differentiates them? Appreciate your input. Thanks.

coinnut
01-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Any of the upper price headphones are good. Some considerations are comfort and fit (ear cup size and materials used.) Other considerations are durability. I hunt the woods and use Gray Ghost model &quot:grin:eep Woods Comfort is OK, I hear some are better, but these are not that bad. Duribility is an issue with me, as getting caught on branches and stretching the cord are usual occurances for my type of hunting. These are a bit heavier duty than others I have seen. I don't think you are going to get the quality sound you are used to at home, but for detecting, you only need a clear signal at a comfortable level. Just some thoughts on it.

Lowjiber
01-12-2011, 07:50 AM
I swear by Killer B Wasps.

I'm an old MXT'er. If you've ever really hunted the MXT on the edge of insanity, you know how important a great headset is. None better than KB's...IMHO.

Here's the site for technical info: http://thrpro.com/ When you call, the owner's name is John Smith (swear to God). He's the most down-to-earth guy you'll ever talk to and will hook you up.

Jeff (or)
01-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Coinnut is right on things to consider, such as; price, comfort, fit, weight, sound quality, durability, volume control, and warrenty if they ever have problems. It is a very personal equipment purchase. :interesting: What works great for one person, may not be right for you. I would suggest to go to a dealer the handles various units and try each one using your detector. For myself, I use White's E-series 9000 and love them. They are amoung some of the lightest full size headphones made, the earcups cover the ears very well, (don't pinch) and for me they have excellent sound quality. One other tip, carry a backup pair of phones. If your phones quit for whatever reason, >:\ a extra set will save the day. :clapping:

Nitro 54
01-15-2011, 03:50 PM
I like the Sun Ray Pro Gold's, they have a extra long cord and are super comfy.

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-04-2011, 08:29 PM
don't buy killer B's i have had major problems .chronic shorts on both ends of the cables.only after repeated send ins and a threat of me to post my disgust on all forums did they do something about it.
they sent me a 2nd pair free.now the second pair is doing the same thing.I called them and they basically said i'm S.O.L they felt they did their part in kindness.
now i guess i should fulfill my original threat of posting on all forums about their quality or lack of i should say.

psychposse
02-04-2011, 08:48 PM
I was just reading some reviews on various headphones here: REVIEWS (http://metaldetectingworld.com/reviews_headphones.shtml)

jkress
02-05-2011, 01:17 AM
I've been looking to upgrade my headphones this year too. I've been doing lots of research and right now the SunRay Pro Golds are looking very enticing.

Lots of great ones out there to choose from. :yes:

greg
02-06-2011, 12:20 PM
I use the grey ghost on my DFX. They are a good fit and have a good sound

davpower
03-07-2011, 05:13 PM
I've been looking for Etrac headphones. I don't like the one's that came with the detector. Would there be a problem using a set of Bose stereo headphones? I have some spares from too much air travel that I don't use anymore.

I noticed the Koss phones are 100 ohms, don't know what the Bose are.

Thanks for any input - DP

Tony Two-Cent
05-11-2011, 01:57 PM
I've been looking for Etrac headphones. I don't like the one's that came with the detector. Would there be a problem using a set of Bose stereo headphones? I have some spares from too much air travel that I don't use anymore.

I noticed the Koss phones are 100 ohms, don't know what the Bose are.

Thanks for any input - DP

I have been using the Koss UR-30 headphones that came with my E-Trac. To me they are very comfortable and seem to produce a true, reliable tone. (Although I've never used any other headphones so I don't have anything to compare them to.) My only complaint with them is the cord is too short. When I kneel down to dig I have to set the base of the E-Trac right next to me, as the coiled cord doesn't have much stretch to it, but after I got used to doing that I don't have any problems. I really just need to buy an extension for the cord. Are higher end replacement headphones really worth the extra money?

Bell-Two
05-12-2011, 08:57 AM
I use the Liberty Headphones, great sound very rugged, comes in different models and if you wish they can me custom made with any of the different combinations that they offer. If you have never used a quality set of headphones before you will be amazed with the sound, it can really help in determining whether you want to dig a target or not.

cnr_dogs
06-22-2011, 07:56 AM
I like my Koss Headphones but Koss warranty service is BS at best will buy SunRay when my current pair die

Bell-Two
06-25-2011, 02:42 PM
I like my Koss Headphones but Koss warranty service is BS at best will buy SunRay when my current pair die

I believe Sunray and Killer B's are basically the same headphone bot are made by the same company I understand.