PDA

View Full Version : Fixin' to go AWAY!

M-Taliesin
01-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Howdy Folks!
Yep. I'll be leaving the forum for awhile, looks like.
Me and Pipster are headed for Texas. Pipster was born and raised in Texas, and we're going down to visit his stomping grounds down south. He has kinfolk there he'll be visiting with, and we anticipate some great detecting while we're there. Figure it unlikely we'll see snow south of Oklahoma, and we're headed more southerly than that.

Pipster is keen to use the skills he honed hunting in Colorado, and using terrific equipment he now has, to hit some old towns and locations sure to bring us some old coins. I also figure to hit some Texan tot lots and see if I can score a plentiful harvest of silver and gold.
I anticipate them to be fertile hunting grounds for a goldslinger.

Anyhow, guess we'll be leaving day after tomorrow and be gone maybe a week. Since I don't know whether I'll have access to a computer down there, I figured I'd say adios from here. If I get access to the internet down there, I'll let ya'll know how things are going from time to time!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

angellionel
01-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Have a safe and fun trip Mel! Photos of finds would be great. thumbsup01 Stay in touch if you can.

Indy!
01-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Have fun Tali!

CyberSage
01-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Have a safe trip, and bring back some Texas gold!

coinnut
01-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Looking forward to your adventures :clapping: Have a good trip and bring back some good stuff lol

wingmaster
01-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Good luck on the hunt and give of pics of the finds, I like to see them even though it looks to be a while till spring here. HH

M-Taliesin
01-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Howdy Folks!
Thanks for the well wishes, and as for bringing back Texas gold, I surely aim to do precisely that!
I'd also like to find some old coins, particularly old silver, and Pipster thinks he knows just where
we might look to get it. So I'm all about hitting the place with all 8 cylinders.

I expect to shoot plenty of video along with a plethora of photos, so it might turn out to be a
cumbersome project to post our adventures, but we won't let a little thing like that bother us.
After all, I can cobble together video footage with photos and have a single presentation.
Hopefully, I'll need extra data cards for all the gold and silver we take up down there.

Figure I'll bring at minimum 3 cameras!

Thanks again for your well wishes and we are looking foward to a rewarding week!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

del
01-12-2011, 04:56 PM
well you have a safe adventure Sir and we'll be looking toward them videos and pictures , now that us New Englanders are snow'd in good were eager to veiw your exploits Mel :yes: better not disappoint us lol lol ;)

Good luck

Dan

Dixie Rebel
01-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Have a safe trip Mel. Show us you finds on your return.

M-Taliesin
01-12-2011, 07:21 PM
better not disappoint us lol lol ;)

Howdy Dan!
Well, nice to feel somebody cares. Now I've got all this pressure! LOL!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

exsquid
01-12-2011, 07:34 PM
Sounds like fun Mel.... They say everything in Texas is bigger so we hope to see a heap O' gold lol

Diggler
01-12-2011, 07:51 PM
Welcome to Texas. Don't bother detecting withing 20 miles of the I-35W corridor from Denton to Hillsboro. It's hunted out. Trust me... :twirlingeyes: Good luck. Have fun. Be careful.

BOWSER
01-12-2011, 08:30 PM
happy hunting we should be here when you get back

Epi-hunter
01-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Looking forward to hearing how you do Mel :)

giant056
01-13-2011, 06:22 AM
Good luck on your journey Mel thumbsup01

M-Taliesin
01-13-2011, 07:55 AM
Welcome to Texas. Don't bother detecting withing 20 miles of the I-35W corridor from Denton to Hillsboro. It's hunted out. Trust me...

Howdy Amigo!
Now you done it! I feel challenged here, so I'm likely to update my plans to include hitting some of that territory just to see if it is really hunted out. After all, noplace is really ever hunted out. Thats a huge chunk of territory to be hunted out, and considering I-35w passes right through citified territory, I gotta believe I can find some real nice stuff 20 miles either side of that! Now I just gotta give it a try! LOL!!!

Thanks amigo! I love a good challenge!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

ec121connie
01-13-2011, 08:40 AM
Just in case you get anywhere near Centerville Texas.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=centerville%2CTX&sourceid=Mozilla-search

The Town Cafe is well worth the visit. I go through there every once in a while and always stop there for lunch.

SeYa

M-Taliesin
01-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Just in case you get anywhere near Centerville Texas.
The Town Cafe is well worth the visit. I go through there every once in a while and always stop there for lunch.

Howdy Connie!
If I get down around them parts, I'll certainly want to visit that Town Cafe!
I figure folks share tips they know are great, so I wouldn't miss it.
Right now, I ain't entirely sure precisely when we're leaving, let alone the itinerary
once we get down to Texas. Having me one of them play it by ear situations here.
But I did toy with the idea of visiting Houston area if possible, so it is a definate maybe.
If I do get down there, I'll make a point of visiting the Town Cafe. Sounds great!
And I get there's some good detecting can be done while in town too!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

ec121connie
01-13-2011, 09:17 AM
the Town Cafe. Sounds great!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

You'll be about as block from the old court house. Depending on the day you'll find either crooks and criminals or old coins and other cool stuff. :)

If you do make it down to the Houston area check out Joe's BBQ in Alvin. Best BBQ I've had in a while and the fried shrimp special is killer. After lunch jump on highway 6 and head down to the beach at Galveston.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Joe%27s+BBQ+Alvin%2CTX&sourceid=Mozilla-search

Diggler
01-13-2011, 09:22 AM
I am not much into tot lots and I am not much into hunting areas that make the 5 o'clock news on a regular basis but... I have had MUCH better luck in the tot lots in the poorer neighborhoods that the affluent. I reason that most wealthy people got that way by being conservative (not giving gold jewelry to 5-10 year olds) and many people with less money give their kids gold jewelry as a sign of status (kinda like $5000 rims on a $500 car). Whatever the case may be there is a busy playground across the highway from where I work. There are always kids playing (and police) there. I have been wanting to dash in and out of there for a couple years. Tried a couple times but even though the place looked deserted there was always someone lurking in the pavilion... The rest of the park would be a trash laden waste of time get robbed fiasco. I would feel bad if you got mugged, even worse if you found gold, but here is a clue if you are interested... Do with it what you will.

PS. Maybe this post would be better in the new Jewelry forum... haha!

Diggler
01-13-2011, 09:47 AM
Found some very interesting reviews on the fishing at Echo Lake too:
http://www.fishingworks.com/lakes/texas/tarrant/fort-worth/echo-lake/#comments

M-Taliesin
01-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Howdy Diggler!
Tell you what. If you gaze out the door one day in the next few, and see somebody over there with a detector, you can almost bet your best digger that'll be me! You've made it sound entirely too tempting. Of course, I have something you don't. Pipster. With him to watch my back, I think we'd be able to cope with most any problem. Aside from which, while travelling, we'd be armed with more than just detectors! There are better choices for muggery, so that only leaves gold! LOL! You're just making the whole thing sound better and better.

I do want to compliment you for your grasp of where the gold is found. Yeppers. Some folks would think it would be in affluent neighborhoods. Nope. It is usually in middle to lower class neighborhoods and of those, especially in one particular demographic group more than all others. Them's the neighborhoods we routinely hunt. We seldom hunt the better neighborhoods, and are forever on alert while we hunt. Never been accosted yet, but are prepared if that should come to pass. Here in Denver/Aurora/Front Range at large, we boldly stroll into the worst neighborhoods in town and exemplify confidence. By day, at night, doesn't matter. We don't go in fear. Never had a problem. Never needed any of the firepower we have available either.

Whenever I've been approached by anybody in such neighborhoods and asked if I ain't a little nervous about being there, I just smile and ask Why? Are you nervous? That usually is enough to unnerve them and they walk away. They tell others, and word gets around that the old dude in the park is scary or something. I don't much care. I get left alone. (so far, so good!)

The only time I really had an attack, or attempted mugging, it was a kid around 8 years old named Mordachai!
Didn't really need to draw down on him though, which is almost a disappointment! LOL!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Judy
01-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Have a blast - enjoy the sunshine thumbsup01

Dimeman
01-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Howdy Connie!
If I get down around them parts, I'll certainly want to visit that Town Cafe!
I figure folks share tips they know are great, so I wouldn't miss it.
Right now, I ain't entirely sure precisely when we're leaving, let alone the itinerary
once we get down to Texas. Having me one of them play it by ear situations here.
But I did toy with the idea of visiting Houston area if possible, so it is a definate maybe.
If I do get down there, I'll make a point of visiting the Town Cafe. Sounds great!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

If you do get to come down to Houston let me know......it would be great to meet you.

Robbie

russellt
01-13-2011, 10:03 PM
if you dont find gold dont come back ...i have a feeling youll be back though <: :peace:
go get em mT

Napa Steve
01-13-2011, 10:15 PM
Sounds like a fun Huck Finn adventure, your probably going to find them tot lots are hit alittle harder in that thar Texas state.

M-Taliesin
01-14-2011, 08:46 AM
Have a blast - enjoy the sunshine thumbsup01

Howdy Judy!
Thanks, but right now, I'd just be happy to hunt someplace that is above 32 degrees!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin
01-14-2011, 08:49 AM
Sounds like a fun Huck Finn adventure, your probably going to find them tot lots are hit alittle harder in that thar Texas state.

Howdy Steve!
I really don't know. R.J. seems to like them, so it might be better than expected.
Worst I ever saw was in Kansas. Wow, those were some real sparse finds, at least until I hit Colby Kansas last time through, and stopped at a local park. Got a century hunt in one single park, along with some great jewelry items. Guess you can never really know for sure until your coil hits the soil!

Maybe I should get in touch with R.J. and see whether he can show off some hot spots.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Nitro 54
01-15-2011, 03:08 PM
Watch out for that Texas Gold M-T,,,, it seems to be black-brown, smelly, very sticky and messy.. Have a good trip

M-Taliesin
01-15-2011, 04:11 PM
Watch out for that Texas Gold M-T,,,, it seems to be black-brown, smelly, very sticky and messy.. Have a good trip

Howdy Pard!
Wrong sort of gold you're alluding to amigo! I'm more interested in that bright yellowish stuff that I find around here, only hope to find a big quantity in Texas. After all, there should be more places to hunt down there.

Meanwhile, back at the coil selection menu, I'll be packing my V3i and the MXT Pro. Hopefully I can get that V3i working half decent. That master reset advocated elsewhere purely made a mess of my machine.

It is now 2:08 pm in Colorado, and Pipster gets off work at 4:00pm. He'll need half an hour or so to drive back to the house, another maybe half hour to finish loading up stuff in the station wagon, then we cap it off with the 4 detectors we'll be bringing. By 6:00pm we should be on our merry. Expect to arrive in the Dallas/Fort Worth area sometime early morning. Pipster figures it to be a 12 hour trip, but because of my knee, we gotta stop every couple of hours so I can get out and walk some. Don't need another blood clot with surgery looming on the 25th.

So, by Sunday morning we should be in Texas!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin