PDA

View Full Version : Keep Coming Together, Your Most Awesome Single Hunt!

M-Taliesin
01-12-2011, 02:30 PM
Howdy Folks!
For this particular thead, I know that everybody has enjoyed some outstanding hunts during their time spent metal detecting. I'd like to see your most outstanding single hunt ever. Sure, I know you've all had many hunts that were incredible, but all of us have one particular hunt that stands out as the most outrageous since taking up the hobby. That's what I'm looking for here.

Let's try to limit this to one particular hunt that stands out as your best day ever in the field. Maybe you hit a glory hole with silver just pouring out of the hole. Or maybe you stumbled on a civil war site that gave up one relic after another. Perhaps you were diving and found yourself a rich trove of jewelry near an old sunken ship? Whatever it is that was your best single hunt ever, that's what I'd like to see.

So come on folks, jump in there and let's have a look-see!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin
01-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Howdy Folks!
I figured I started this thing, so I'd go ahead and show you my most memorable single hunt ever. It ain't easy to choose, because I've had many hunts that were just terrific, but did my best to single one out, and this is it. This hunt took place on July 22nd of 2008.

My job is up in Brighton, about 20 miles north of here. I am a driver, so spend most of my day going all over town. As I passed a particular location, I noticed they tore out the parking lot. The spot in question is the second school built in that town ever, and dates back to the very early 1900s. I believe (can't recall for certain) that it was built in 1906. Anyhow, it was the high school for the town until another was built in the 1960s.

Since I read up on the history of that town, I knew there just had to be some terrific stuff there, so as soon as work was done for the day, I made a beeline straight for it. Ground conditions were not as friendly as I hoped, and I needed my rock hammer to get to some of those targets. I don't know how old the original blacktop was, but it preserved the coins I found there in terrific condition.

I went back the following day, and they'd already put down new pavement, covering up any coins I never got. Guess it will be a real long time before any more coins come up from that particular stretch of ground!

Here are the photos of that particular hunt! Enjoy!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

zrickkid
01-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Boy would I love to have a hunt like that! :envious:

mike l
01-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Hunting my favorite woods spot I found my first old pocket spill: 1917 Walking Liberty Half, Buffalo nickel and a wheat penny. This woods always produces and is really a beautiful place. I would have to say this was one of my best days out in 2010.

Carver
01-12-2011, 04:53 PM
I've had several really good days, but the one that will be hard for me to beat was my first day at the old schoolhouse spot.
I kind of stumbled on to this spot,,,while detecting an older guys yard we got to talking about old spots that he knew of and he mentioned an old schoolhouse that used to stand in a field just a mile from his house.
I had a hard time finding out who owned the ground as the plat books didn't show anything but was finally able to gain permission.
First day there I found in about 5 hours of hunting,,,11 silver coins,,,,7 Indians,,,,4 Buffalo nicks,,,6 V nicks,,,and 23 wheats. <: <: <: <: <: <: I did not want to leave but my back was killing me by this time,,,,rest assured I did go back and continued to hit old coins,,,in fact the newest coin I found was a 1926 wheat.
I would love to top this day but I'm not holding my breath!! lol lol lol

Spike
01-13-2011, 10:05 PM
I post my finds and every one stops adding to the post :dontknow: :dontknow: so I removed it now I want to see some more days like Carvers :shocked04: :shocked04:

coinnut
01-13-2011, 10:14 PM
I post my finds and every one stops adding to the post :dontknow: :dontknow: so I removed it now I want to see some more days like Carvers :shocked04: :shocked04:

Hey, put your post back lol I like half dollars :shocked04:

Spike
01-13-2011, 10:31 PM
I knew you would be the first to notice rofl

russellt
01-13-2011, 10:35 PM
a house downtown was being renovated so i stopped and pop the question. the guy doing the renvations was the grandson of the land owner . i found 2 walkers . 3 buffaloes. 3 rosie s, 4 mercs . a 1920 english half penny. a 1944 20 centavo-mexico-a 1922 britsh penny. a 1944 phillipino 20 centavo-- occupation coin . 12 wheat pennies and one 1899 injun . lots of junk and corroded jewelry. the guy said his grandmother had yard sales all the time when he was growing up . i had a bad day and decided to try my luck getting permission . ya just never know

M-Taliesin
01-13-2011, 10:41 PM
a house downtown was being renovated so i stopped and pop the question. the guy doing the renvations was the grandson of the land owner . i found 2 walkers . 3 buffaloes. 3 rosie s, 4 mercs . a 1920 english half penny. a 1944 20 centavo-mexico-a 1922 britsh penny. a 1944 phillipino 20 centavo-- occupation coin . 12 wheat pennies and one 1899 injun . lots of junk and corroded jewelry. the guy said his grandmother had yard sales all the time when he was growing up . i had a bad day and decided to try my luck getting permission . ya just never know

Howdy Russell!
Where are the photos? We wanna see them beauties!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

wingmaster
01-14-2011, 03:38 PM
The one I remember the most was the first hunt, I found three coins from the 1800's and two in the same hole. Pulling coins from the 1800's first time out is going to be hard to beat, but look forward to having a better day one time or another.

DaleGM
01-21-2011, 07:22 PM
hello folks, one of my best finds was last year, I hooked up with my twin brother Napa Steve and headed out to Vallejo to a site we found on the internet, on the way there we spotted a baseball field that had the first 3 to 4 inches stripped from it and stopped in to talk with the construction crew about detecting it, and got the permission to hunt it after they were done for the day :happydance01: out of the site I pulled out 3 silver with the oldest being a 1860 S seated dime in great shape, not knowing what I had yet I let Steve take it out of the clod and saw his eyes about bulge out of his head :drool: my first seated coin <:yes:ahoo!!!! looked it up in the red book and it is a very low mintage coin, I would have to guess this was an old picnic or gathering site of some sort back in the 1800s below are the pictures of the site and coin.........