PDA

View Full Version : mxt edge question

BOWSER
01-12-2011, 03:27 PM
those of you that have read this book ,what in your thinking is the most important thing you learned.

RonMue
01-12-2011, 07:29 PM
How to turn your detector on.

BOWSER
01-12-2011, 08:38 PM
lets see ron moo i'm gonna remember that name :boxing: thanks for nothin.

giant056
01-12-2011, 09:07 PM
I never did read it myself Jim, basically I just fooled around with mine till I figured it out, if you use to use to older go by sound detector's then the MXT has a lot in common with them I think. I remember I had problems at first with them old bottle caps until I started to scan them with the front edge of the coil and they'll test iron then.

BOWSER
01-13-2011, 02:50 PM
thanks larry 45 views and 1 reply ,i don't think i will waste my money buyin that book :thinkingabout:

giant056
01-13-2011, 03:16 PM
One thing I always loved about the MXT was when a coin was deep it sounded deep, my V3i is digital and I don't care for the digitally generated volumes for different depths so I have it set to be the same for all targets and when I go to pinpoint then it gives me a better idea by the faintness of the target. That's definitely got something to say about analog audio on the MXT.

BOWSER
01-13-2011, 07:48 PM
thanks larry ,some days i like the mxt and other days i get frustrated,it's all part of the game i guess.

coinnut
01-13-2011, 08:06 PM
thanks larry 45 views and 1 reply ,i don't think i will waste my money buyin that book :thinkingabout:

Maybe it's a really, really good book and everyone doesn't want you to know :thinkingabout: rofl

DustyRoundup
01-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Howdy Bowser,
I have the book, and all I can say is , I think its a must have
For me anyhow.

I'm new to detecting, I just got set up a year ago.
and, I didnt have a good detecting background to work from , when I got my MXT.

So, as a complete newb to detecting , I wouldnt have got very far , with just the owners manual.

The book really is an excellent resource for me, but as to what I think was the best thing I learned from it:huh:thinkingabout: Hmm
Thats a tough question, as I continue learning from it, and at different points in time , I progress to what i learned this week as being more important than what I learned 2 months ago.

So, I guess I'll say, I like what I learn from the book , as a WHOLE.
It helps me to understand all the variables , to be able to use my MXT to its full potential.
And I continue reading the book, maybe I'm a slow learner.
But I do know , that I wouldnt understand my MXT as I do , without that book.

Just My opinion
Dusty

M-Taliesin
01-14-2011, 01:19 PM

Howdy Bowser!
I don't think the 45 views with only 1 reply is an indication of what the book is worth. I think it is more a matter of the type of question folks need to think about for awhile. You posted an honest question, and nobody wants to give a glib reply. (Well, almost nobody).

I've looked at this post a couple of times and moved on thinking &quot:beerbuddy:efore I reply, I should think on it awhile.

To begin with, the book covers everything the MXT can do. It also goes into territory beyond my comfort level in some regards, particularly the technical stuff. What it does do is to address all manner of MXT owners from outright newbies to seasoned detectorist types who need just a bit of technical information that just ain't available anywhere else. Therefore it covers the entire spectrum of MXT users.

Since I ain't all technical minded, it manages to speak to my less sophisticated needs of simply running the machine. And in doing so, has proven instructive on other types of hunting that I am not so familiar with. And that's another problem. Some folks are almost exclusive relic hunters. Others want to use it to prospect for gold nuggets or raw gold. Then there are the types like myself that hunt primarily for coins and jewelry. But as I grow into my MXT, I find myself wanting to develop some skill with relic hunting. I also want to become adept at hunting for nuggets and raw gold in the deserts of Arizona or Nevada.

It is a difficult thing for anybody to single out one thing that was most helpful to them in the MXT Edge. The whole book has plenty of great information for everybody. In my case, I am using it to learn more effective relic hunting. The relic mode is just not something I've worked with enough, so I need all the help I can get! Then again, I've tried my hand on mining claims trying to find gold. It became pretty obvious right off the bat that I also need help learning that particular capability of the MXT.

So my primary focus in the next few days is going to be relic mode and how to use it well. That's where the MXT Edge will provide me a wealth of information to learn a new skill.

Hope this particular reply proves helpful, and you won't go wrong getting that book. It gives you information that helps you to master that machine. And there ain't much better you can buy than an MXT. It'll do you proud, but may take awhile getting the hang of it. That's where the MXT Edge can cut lots of effort out of the learning curve.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Toadman
01-14-2011, 05:40 PM
I never got it.. kinda glad I didn't.. I would prob have skipped over some awesome finds ..

bottleCap Mining Corp
01-14-2011, 08:42 PM
I have the book also, and ah well I kind of like it. It's wrote out on the eazier to learn side than most manuals. I also believe its really set up a person just getting in to MDing.

The OM that whites sent out white the MXT Is kind of like to get going in the front yard And find a few coins and your old watch

This book is what you can take to hunting camp bringing home the bacon.

I got my book with the purchase of my MXT from a ebay seller. I think the book sell for 25-30$ thats about 6-9 gallons of gas. Youll probably more in gas running back and forth getting forum help.

wingmaster
01-14-2011, 08:53 PM
I never got the book and the MXT is my first detector, I done the trial by fire thing I guess but have learned the MXT pretty good now. The MXT is a great detector for sure it will find very small targets really deep, so small that its very hard to even find the thing on a hand towel with a pinpointer, but that leaves me feeling that I'm not missing much.

bottleCap Mining Corp
01-14-2011, 09:33 PM
I never got the book and the MXT is my first detector, I done the trial by fire thing I guess but have learned the MXT pretty good now. The MXT is a great detector for sure it will find very small targets really deep, so small that its very hard to even find the thing on a hand towel with a pinpointer, but that leaves me feeling that I'm not missing much.

I guess your just a natural.

Not me,, I wish I could feel so confident in myself. Im always wondering how or if I could have done or do it any better.

Dimeman
01-14-2011, 10:33 PM
While I don't have a MXT , but a M6, some material in the book applies to most Whites with the VDI and ground balance tracking system. Since the ground balance and VDI are the same on both the MXT and M6.
It also has some charts on some of the coils where they tested the depth and graphed the results.

v3ikid
01-15-2011, 05:17 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to get the book again if I had it to do over. I think ANYONE could learn at least one thing from it.

Nitro 54
01-15-2011, 05:20 PM
Get it Jiim, if you learn one good tid bit that helps you on your next great find, it will be worth the price... After you done reading it, you can rent it to Rick..

Tin Nugget
01-19-2011, 02:24 PM
Jim, get the book! I got my MXT 8 years ago, almost 9 now, and after a few years with it I thought I knew all I needed to know. I bought the book 3 years ago and I cand say without a doubt, If I had the book when I first got my MXT I would have learned in six months what it took me 3 years to learn by trial and error. Also I learned quit a bit that I probably would not have found out on my own. The other nice thing about the book is not only does it explain in detail allot of stuff but it explains how it does what it does and why it was designed that way which to me anyway, is pretty interesting.

BOWSER
01-24-2011, 07:07 PM
thanks everyone i plan on buyin the book for winter reading,1 good find is all i need to get me goin.when i pick up the mxt i cant remember which nob turns it on.I have had it almost 8 months :bangahead01:

pulltabsteve
01-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Jim, my Whites dealer is about 20 minutes away. If you want I can pick up a copy and send it to you.

BOWSER
01-24-2011, 07:53 PM
don't send me the book till i send you the money,i don't trust me,I have a split personality. :)

pulltabsteve
01-24-2011, 08:01 PM
don't send me the book till i send you the money,i don't trust me,I have a split personality. :)

I'm fully aware... :grin:

exsquid
01-26-2011, 09:32 AM
If you enjoy reading, and reading about metal detecting, than its a must have book. It is spelled out pretty simple and also gets as technical as anyone should need and it is all about the MXT...

Especially, for our winter months of sittiing indoors it cannot do anything but help you master the logic that was designed into the MXT.

Now we just need an update to speak to the specifics of the MXT Pro lol ?

BOWSER
02-05-2011, 05:02 PM
i would have gotten the mxt =pro ,but i consider tone detecting as kinda like cheating a bit,also the large coil is limmmitted in use, i prefer smaller coils for my type of huting. :dontknow: