PDA

View Full Version : EARLY MILITARY BRIDLE ROSETTE?

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-13-2011, 08:37 AM
Dug this up on a old trail near a standing colonial home that led up to a cellar hole in woods.
shows a old style eagle pretty much surf boarding on a shield. lead filled back.
it's mangled badly crying01 and that's a bummer. It's definitely a bridle rosette but,is it military? :confused:

Judy
01-13-2011, 09:41 AM
Neat piece, I've only seen reg't numbers and letters on the military bridal rosettes I've seen, tho I'm sure more research may give an answer.

Maybe someone here may hold a clue or 2.

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Neat piece, I've only seen reg't numbers and letters on the military bridal rosettes I've seen, tho I'm sure more research may give an answer.

Maybe someone here may hold a clue or 2.

I think Dan may have a clue .as he told me to re-post it here

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-13-2011, 10:07 AM
just waiting anxiously :interesting:

Evan/tn
01-13-2011, 10:20 AM
That looks like an early style eagle for sure,seems like I've seen that eagle style on some war of 1812 buttons,not sure though
Great find and hope you can find a positive ID.

del
01-13-2011, 10:51 AM
well Dave its size is consistant with that of a decorative horse rosette but also the early shako hats had bosses or side buttons and are of considerable size as well and it might be one of those too. can you see any remanants of the wire back for a rosette:huh: or can you see anything that would be in the direct middle to secure it . that type of shield is the same for early plates on those shako hats so i could see it being a hat boss for one as well that would hold the sidescales just over the visor or brim . i just haven't seen that exact motif yet . it is a military item though and i just wanted to point you in another possible direction to look.

Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-13-2011, 11:39 AM
well Dave its size is consistant with that of a decorative horse rosette but also the early shako hats had bosses or side buttons and are of considerable size as well and it might be one of those too. can you see any remanants of the wire back for a rosette:huh: or can you see anything that would be in the direct middle to secure it . that type of shield is the same for early plates on those shako hats so i could see it being a hat boss for one as well that would hold the sidescales just over the visor or brim . i just haven't seen that exact motif yet . it is a military item though and i just wanted to point you in another possible direction to look.

Dan

sorry Dan..no remnants of any type of anything on back.the picture of the back says it all. I have come up empty on any similiar eagle motiff as well :-\