PDA

View Full Version : I have collected coins most of my life

giant056
01-13-2011, 10:20 AM
The only time I ever paid more than face value for a coin was completing a type set for a merit badge in boyscouts and the coins I had to buy weren't much more than face value. Here's a silver dollar I've managed to hang on to all these years, I bought it at a bank for a dollar, when I got there I asked the teller if they had any silver dollars she said we have a few, all I had was a dollar so I bought 1 of three that were in the mint bag and they were all uncirculated 1881S's, after that I went next door to the drug store where my mom happened to be and said mom you gotta get these two silver dollars they have left at the bank, they're uncirculated. Another one of my favorite spots to go find collectible coins was another drug store, the guy that owned the store always had a cigar box full of silver dollars he'd let me look through and buy for a dollar if I wanted but they were always really worn so I didn't bother.

psychposse
01-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Too cool, makes me think of when I was a kid and how I would often see Silver dollars being spent. thumbsup01

As well, wheaties, buffalos, and all those other small coins I get excited to find now, were nothing to see and pass along 30 years ago.

wingmaster
01-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Even though they are worn they would be worth alot more with the silver price today, I wish I could get some for a dollar now.

Judy
01-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Nice silver Lar! I've dabbled a bit over the years, but not anything in that kind of shape for that age!! :clapping:

russellt
01-13-2011, 09:27 PM
i have that affliction . i used grass cutting money i made when i was 8 to buy coins from the local coin shop .. and detecting just added to my addiction .. i wish i started 30 years ago ..... im 40 :popcorn:

Nitro 54
01-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Sweet coin Larry :smitten: :smitten: I love the rainbow patena :loveit: :loveit:

Toadman
01-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Very smart buy for a kid Larr !!! <: <: :happydance01: :happydance01:

Dimeman
01-17-2011, 09:30 PM
Too cool, makes me think of when I was a kid and how I would often see Silver dollars being spent. thumbsup01

As well, wheaties, buffalos, and all those other small coins I get excited to find now, were nothing to see and pass along 30 years ago.

I used to get all those coins in change years ago---- Even some silver dollars. We would go to the 7-11 with a $5 silver certificate and get a nickel soft drink and a candy bar for a total of 10 cents and get some extra change to see what we could find. IH's, early wheats, V nickels, Buff, early Jeffersons, Barber dimes, Mercs, Rosies, Barber quarters, SL quarters, Washingtons, Barber halfs, WL's, Franklins and JFK halfs.
At the roller rink they used to have contests and the winner won silver dollars. Got a few Peace dollars and Morgans that way.

Those were the good old days.

wagon wheel
01-17-2011, 09:55 PM
I used to get all those coins in change years ago---- Even some silver dollars. We would go to the 7-11 with a $5 silver certificate and get a nickel soft drink and a candy bar for a total of 10 cents and get some extra change to see what we could find. IH's, early wheats, V nickels, Buff, early Jeffersons, Barber dimes, Mercs, Rosies, Barber quarters, SL quarters, Washingtons, Barber halfs, WL's, Franklins and JFK halfs.
At the roller rink they used to have contests and the winner won silver dollars. Got a few Peace dollars and Morgans that way.

Those were the good old days.

I would go to the local filling station and do about the same, only it was a PayDay bar that always ended up being bought with my dime. ;) thumbsup01

w.w.

odave
01-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Good Story Larry and Beautiful Dollar thumbsup01 thumbsup01

Carl in Louisiana
01-17-2011, 10:17 PM
Nice coin Larry thumbsup01 wished I had all the ones I found one time years ago.... crying01