PDA

View Full Version : Got My Heart Broken at the Super Market!

M-Taliesin
01-13-2011, 02:29 PM
Howdy Folks!
We were getting pretty heavy snow, so detecting was out, but I was out detecting anyhow. Didn't get much either.

Anyhow, I stopped at the King Soopers on my way toward home, partly because I needed batteries for my camera and partly to warm up some because it was rightly cold out there.
I gathered up some stuff I wanted and headed for the checkout, only to find a longish line at each and every single one. I opted for the self service lines, and they were long too!

My turn finally rolled around and I scanned my items and hit the pay now button. I decided to write a check and headed for the cashier, who noticed my White's Metal Detector hat and jacket. She smiled sweetly as she said look at this! She reached into the cash drawer and pulled out a whole handful of silver dollars. Must have been 12 or 15 of them, perhaps more. Right on top of the stack in her hand was an 1888 Morgan! You don't mean to tell me somebody used them at cash value for groceries, do you? She smiled and said Yep. They cashed 'em in last night!
You wouldn't care to part with any of them would you? I asked hopefully.
Nope. I save them for my dad. He collects them!

I walked out to my car, with the little bit of clad I'd found on that hunt in my pocket, and my heart breaking!

Somebody cashed in well over $300 bucks worth of silver dollars for maybe $18 bucks worth of groceries. Worse, she wasn't willing to part with any of them.

I drove off to my next hunt, and for reasons I don't fully understand, felt horribly depressed for the rest of the afternoon!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Dimeman
01-13-2011, 02:59 PM
What :huh::huh:thinkingabout:? You didn't offer her $2 each:huh:thinkingabout:? $3 each :huh:thinkingabout:? $5 each:huh:thinkingabout:? I would have tried that --at least.....

giant056
01-13-2011, 03:02 PM
She knew what they were worth :eyebrow:

psychposse
01-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Wow, tough times.

Don't have any silver dollars that old but I wouldn't part with what I have for nothin.

I also think I would have had to pour on the charm with that girl :drool:

giant056
01-13-2011, 04:17 PM
I spotted a 40% silver in a bank tellers coin tray a few months back and told here I wanted to buy the half with the edge that was more silvery than the rest. The only thing she said was &quot:daydream:h that's an older one I told her it had silver in it but she didn't seem to care.

russellt
01-13-2011, 09:52 PM
a buddy of mine would have waited until she headed for her car and wham..... im kidding ... his name is vito and he's probably on lock down right about now .. thats a sad story mt , IMIGHT JUST CRY MYSELF RIGHT TO SLEEEP

Napa Steve
01-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Who knows Mel, maybe they were stolen and the perp's did not know the value.

DaleGM
01-13-2011, 10:58 PM
http:// .......... I see a little kid getting buying 18.00 worth of candy and a slingshot from dads coin collection :hammer:

exsquid
01-14-2011, 08:11 AM
Wow....what else can you say....wow....

M-Taliesin
01-14-2011, 08:36 AM
.......... I see a little kid getting buying 18.00 worth of candy and a slingshot from dads coin collection :hammer:

Howdy Dale!
That sounds like something Mordachai might do! LOL!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Kimster
01-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Ask her to marry you T-man. But check the coins first.

M-Taliesin
01-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Ask her to marry you T-man. But check the coins first.

Howdy Pard!
I'd consider that, but believe my wife would kill me!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Nitro 54
01-15-2011, 02:39 PM
You should have offered her $10 bucks for each one. lol lol lol sorry M-T for the dissapointment :boxing: :boxing: :boxing:

tanacat
01-17-2011, 09:12 AM
That was really evil of her to do that to you- she wanted to see you drool with envy!! >:) :devilish: >:) :devilish:

I remember hearing a similiar story- someone cashed in their coin collection to buy groceries. Very sad, hard times for some... :(

DustyRoundup
01-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Im Confused.

SELF SERVICE LINE,, ,, you scanned the items , then went to pay cashier:huh:thinkingabout:?

What's that all about
So, is that like some gas stations, where you have a choice?

Do you pay less, for self service ?

Its been 24 years since Ive been in Colo , M-T,, sounds like things have changed.
I have not heard of anything like that up here. But then , I dont shop much, outside of our town.

Dusty

coinnut
01-17-2011, 09:52 PM
Im Confused.

SELF SERVICE LINE,, ,, you scanned the items , then went to pay cashier:huh:thinkingabout:?

What's that all about
So, is that like some gas stations, where you have a choice?

Do you pay less, for self service ?

Its been 24 years since Ive been in Colo , M-T,, sounds like things have changed.
I have not heard of anything like that up here. But then , I dont shop much, outside of our town.

Dusty

Sounds like if you write a check to pay for your items in the self checkout line, you still need a cashier. :confused:

tanacat
01-18-2011, 08:54 AM
Yeah, here in our parts we have about 6 self-checks w/ one cashier over-looking/on call for all of them... I think Dusty missed that part :)

At least we don't have robots doing everything for us YET lol