PDA

View Full Version : One of my best hunts ever - so unexpected!

z118
11-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Got out after church today around noon; hit my absolute favorite spot (a school). This was hunt number 38 at this location. It was amazingly sunny and warm (maybe 50 degrees). I was just hoping to get 50 coins or so as I try to hit 10k for the year. I started out well, picking up some clad on the tot lot with the Tracker and then more in the dirt with the Sov. I dug what was certainly a cruddy zing penny signal and was rewarded with a tiny silver circle, not sure if it is a very small ring or part of an earing or something. A short while later I pulled a small silver heart stamped .925 that reads I Love You. These finds had me pleased this school had not given up much silver jewelry in the past.

After a while my wife and son joined me; my son headed to the playground and I kept digging. I called him over a few times to come see what I've found but he is 6 and not very interested in my treasures. But then I promised him worms in the bottom of the plug and that caught his interest for sure. To be closer to where he was I wandered away from where I was hunting to an area where I pulled a few silver dimes and a 1940 class ring earlier this summer. There were not so many signals in this area but I thought heck, maybe I can score a Rosie or something. At one point I get a so so signal which did not sound like much, but then out pops a green disc which had me thinking large cent. But then I brushed off some dirt and was surprised and amused to see the words Not One Cent. I didn't know what it was but I knew it might be something good!

A bit later I got a very faint signal and pulled a HUGE plug, with my son helping we dug the deepest hole I have ever dug for a good target. This thing must have been 11 inches deep easily. Too bad I do not know what it is, other than a big copper disc, too large to be a large cent, with no discernable details whatsoever. Maybe it's just junk?

We kept at it for while, my son mostly playing on the equipement and me mostly digging. I got a nasty signal which somehow turned out to be a '43 quarter. This was a sweet sweet hunt for sure!

Total for the afternoon was 69 coins worth $6.63. The not one cent is apparently a hard times token:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_times_token

The same token for sale at:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/MILLIONS-FOR-DEFE...item414a6deeb7

I would guess it's from the 1830's or 40's? Any thoughts would be great. i never would have expected finds like this from a spot Ihave hunted 38 times before now!

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

MNDigger
11-29-2009, 05:35 PM
Great looking hunt Z! That token is really cool! :shocked04:

bmattioli
11-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Good hunt Z.. That's a cool Token.. nice job!

marchas45
11-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Awesome diggins Z glad to see you're getting closer to the 10000 mark. Love that token, sweet. thumbsup01

randy
11-29-2009, 07:00 PM
That's a cool token The redbook lists them as made in 1837. That copper could be whats left of a large colonial copper. I've found a couple blank ones like that at a site that has produced several identifiable ones.

Beefcake
11-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Congrats on the Hard Times token... One of my first good finds was one of those... mine was more of the replica of the liberty head LC... That's really cool... mine was holed also...

angellionel
11-29-2009, 07:49 PM
Sweet finds Z. That token is a cool one. I'm sure it had your heart racing when you first laid eyes on it. ;)

del
11-29-2009, 08:51 PM
very nice hard times token Z , i agree with randy its most likely a colonial copper or a large cent depending on thickness .either way a very good and productive hunt , great job. thumbsup01

z118
11-29-2009, 08:54 PM
very nice hard times token Z , i agree with randy its most likely a colonial copper or a large cent depending on thickness

Is there any way to tell for sure? The diameter is bigger than a large sent. It seems a little thinner too, but given how worn it is, that doesn't seem impossible.

del
11-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Is there any way to tell for sure? The diameter is bigger than a large sent. It seems a little thinner too, but given how worn it is, that doesn't seem impossible.

not all large cents are the same size the braided hair are the smallest and a little thicker but the older ones are a little bigger in diameter but thinner

Epi-hunter
11-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Great finds z! You are really ripping it up lately :shocked04: I love the token, that would make my day for sure!

OkieDigger
11-29-2009, 09:47 PM
I really like that token. I'll trade you 10 Oklahoma tax tokens for it. lol

Bentfork
11-29-2009, 11:33 PM
Great hunt Z! I like the token.

Stang1968
11-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Great quarter and token! I don't know much about large cents so I cant offer anythign about the mystery disk, but that hard times token is really neat.

Islandhunter
11-30-2009, 05:06 PM
NIce digs...most of the Hard times tokens were dated 1838...another possibility is that it could be a Civil war store card token alot of them were close to half dollar size. These two time frames were when the Not for One Cent tokens were made,

coinnut
11-30-2009, 06:40 PM
Great hunt. What was there before that school? :confused: I think that building is the New York Stock Exchange building that burned down around then. I found one before, but the other side was different than yours. Great digs. I agree that is probably a colonial coin, Possibly a Connecticut Cent. The diameters switched around a bit in the colonial days.

Ferrous
11-30-2009, 06:44 PM
Nice, really nice. thumbsup01

z118
11-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the comments all! I am really pleased with this find. I honestly like it more than a large cent; it's seemingly so much more unique and the hole really adds character.

Great hunt. What was there before that school?

I have no idea; I would assume it was a residential area. This is why I like school yards so much... you just never know what might turn up!