PDA

View Full Version : Sand Scoop Question

Vito
01-15-2011, 11:39 AM
What will be a good tool for the beach? Short or long handle? Steel or aluminum? Your suggestions are highly appreciated.

greg
01-15-2011, 11:49 AM
I like the long handle. I carry it with my left hand and lean it over my shoulder while I swing away

Lowjiber
01-15-2011, 12:10 PM
If you're going to hunt in the water, a long-handled version is the only way to go.

I use a large aluminum scoop with a stainless steel lip. Two-piece handles are very nice...provided you don't skimp on quality and price.

If the one you choose can't be shoved with your foot, it won't last. Most have a brace between the basket and the handle.

I use older versions of the Heavy Duty Aluminum Scoop pictured below in the middle.

Here's a link: http://www.prostockdetectors.com/Scoops.html

Vito
01-16-2011, 12:33 PM
Hmm... think I'll not use it in the water...may be knee high... :rolleyes: Yup, the long handle one will do definitely the better job in the shore area.

TNX for the replies. Really appreciate them.

coinnut
01-16-2011, 01:28 PM
A lot of people drag them behind them to make a line in the sand. That way you can see the crooked walking we do when detecting lol It gives you a good line if you want to grid an area. I was always surprised at the way we detect in the woods. When a light layer of snow hits, you can see your footprints. It shows just how many areas we miss that we think we hit well. It's an eye opener. Try it in the sand and you may be surprised how unstraight your walking is lol I would opt for the long handle scoop and a very heavy duty one too.