PDA

View Full Version : King George III Colonial Copper

Neil in West Jersey
11-29-2009, 06:53 PM
I finally was able to get some detecting in this morning. I have my in-laws visiting from Florida, so I had to stay local. I hit a spot that has produced a lot of silver, and my goal today was to dig some Merc's or Silver Rosies.

My first decent signal was a bouncy penny signal, with a VDI on my V3 bouncing from the 60's to the 70's, at a depth about 4 3/4. I was hopeful that I was starting out with a Wheat Cent, but when I pinpointed the dirt pile I saw the large copper disk and said to myself, this can't be!. Out popped George! I just stared for about 10 seconds saying to myself over and over this can't be!

Unfortunately I cannot get a date, but it looks like it may end in a 7, so possibly 1777:huh:. The spot was once farmland, but I cannot date the site earlier than the 1840's. The fertilizer did a number on this one, and what you see in my hand is the best it is going to get after cleaning.

My previous oldest coin at the site was an 1877 Seated quarter, and that was my only nineteenth century coin at the site until this morning. I dug some civil war era buttons, and one early flat buttons in the past, but colonial copper was the furthest thing from my mind!!

After that it was 3.5 hours of nothing but modern trash and coinage, but what a beautiful morning to be out!

randy
11-29-2009, 06:56 PM
Nice. Its got alot better detail than most of the ones I've found.

MNDigger
11-29-2009, 06:58 PM
WTG on the great find! I couldnt imagine beating my oldest coin by 100 years! thumbsup01 I would have find something just as old as your copper because my oldest is an 1877cc seated dime.

hockeyguy
11-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Love that feeling when you see the large green disc...... congrats~ :cheesysmile:

marchas45
11-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Nice Georgie copper Neil I have a few but have never found any. Congrats. thumbsup01

angellionel
11-29-2009, 07:53 PM
I like it! Some good details remain. Very nice find.

z118
11-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Sweet dig for sure! Congrats.

del
11-29-2009, 08:55 PM
great looking coin Neil , very well could be a counterfiet coin . congrats

OkieDigger
11-29-2009, 09:49 PM
You guys and your old coins are really driving me nuts! Great dig!

Bentfork
11-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Very nice. Those old copper are great.

Neil in West Jersey
11-30-2009, 08:55 AM
WTG on the great find! I couldnt imagine beating my oldest coin by 100 years! thumbsup01 I would have find something just as old as your copper because my oldest is an 1877cc seated dime.

MN: Not to make you jealous, but I found one coin 70 years older than this one, back in May of '08. That one was dated 1699!

Del, 99.9% of all the colonial coppers found here in the US are, in fact, counterfeit. There was such a shortage of coins in the 18th century that entrepreneurs took to making their own. For more info on these coins, click on the link. http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinIntros/CtfBrit.intro.html

coinnut
11-30-2009, 07:26 PM
You guys and your old coins are really driving me nuts!

No, I'm pretty sure you were nuts before you ever met any of us lol :twirlingeyes: :tongue: But thanks for the compliments. All the boys across the pond are laughing at us. You call that old, they say:huh: Old to them is probably 1st century. Come on down and have some fun with us at some old cellar holes or fields. You may get a copper or two. Tell the wife you guys are going on a little road trip, just don't tell her where and why :grin:

coinnut
11-30-2009, 07:29 PM

Nice coin Neil. We get quite a bit of counterfeits here. Most of the time we can tell by the dates or by the numbers on the DFX as to whether it's real or not. Great little surprise and not in too shabby condition. I'd be happy!! :)

Epi-hunter
11-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Very nice coin, counterfeit or not, and in decent condition!

coinnut
11-30-2009, 07:39 PM
Very nice coin, counterfeit or not, and in decent condition!

Usually something counterfeit is a bad thing, but not in this case. The real George III's are just about worthless, (well not really but pretty close lol) but the counterfiets are very collectable thumbsup01

Neil in West Jersey
12-01-2009, 02:10 PM
Nice coin Neil. We get quite a bit of counterfeits here. Most of the time we can tell by the dates or by the numbers on the DFX as to whether it's real or not. Great little surprise and not in too shabby condition. I'd be happy!! :)
:)

Usually something counterfeit is a bad thing, but not in this case. The real George III's are just about worthless, (well not really but pretty close lol) but the counterfiets are very collectable thumbsup01

No doubt that a Regal Copper would have hit pretty solid in the 80's. This thinny came in much lower as you can see. I am no expert in the varieties of the KG Counterfeits, but this one is similar to one I found in October of '08. That one was known as Young George if I remember correctly.

OkieDigger
12-01-2009, 05:05 PM
No, I'm pretty sure you were nuts before you ever met any of us lol :twirlingeyes: :tongue: But thanks for the compliments. All the boys across the pond are laughing at us. You call that old, they say:huh: Old to them is probably 1st century. Come on down and have some fun with us at some old cellar holes or fields. You may get a copper or two. Tell the wife you guys are going on a little road trip, just don't tell her where and why :grin:

I am certifiable! One of these days I'll make it out that way. Would love to hunt some cellar holes.