PDA

View Full Version : V3i question

v3ikid
01-16-2011, 02:56 PM
I am planning on getting a Whites V3i sometime in the spring and have read alot about the machine. Coming from the MXT it does seem a bit overwhelming at times but I am ready for one anyway. :yes:. I know the answer to this question is probably shorter then the question itself but what i was wondering as i have been reading about this machine are things like VCO needing to be turned on to be able to pinpoint better because it is set to off from the factory. Now with that being said without getting into frequencies, gain, tx boost and so forth which i know are settings that will need to be adjusted as a user learns.
What are the other pitfalls such as the VCO that a newbe would not know without happening on to the information does a new owner need to know just to be able to hunt moreso out of the box in a programmed mode without getting into the other adjustments?
I am aware that when i say out of the box could mean my soil allows it according to factory presets and someone elses might not meaning other things might have to be adjusted to quiet the machine, get filter or recovery delay vs sweep speed correct.

greg
01-16-2011, 02:59 PM
I think one of the pitfalls is adjusting your V before you even get one. Take time to learn it first. Then you can adjust away.

v3ikid
01-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Sorry this is so long but my goal is to learn this machine as i go and learn it well. I just don't want to get too far ahead of myself. Time is on my side and i figure My mistakes will be many and i accept that but that is how you learn right? I just want to know the very basics like the VCO that a newcomer may not know that will aid in getting started that will reduce some frustration. I know i have alot to learn. Thanks in advance the advice here is great.

v3ikid
01-16-2011, 03:07 PM
My point precisely. ;) I'm not trying to adjust anything, just wanting to know basic things such as the VCO that might save a newcomer some frustration. :)

CyberSage
01-16-2011, 03:27 PM
One of the most common mistakes is using to high of filter settings. Almost all the default factory programs have to high of filter setting in my opinion. This of will cost you depth and sensitivity.

giant056
01-16-2011, 03:55 PM
One of the most common mistakes is using to high of filter settings. Almost all the default factory programs have to high of filter setting in my opinion. This of will cost you depth and sensitivity.
I wonder if they did that because of highly mineralized soil in some places cause it sure makes a heck of a difference, especially for working slow to find the really deep targets.

v3ikid
01-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the answer Cybersage. I am sure that info will be really helpfull. It becoming clear to see that just having one thing off on this machine although may not cause you fits can really effect performance. So turn VCO on and don't have the ground filters too high. I'm pretty sure i will stick with factory programs for several hours before venturing into many adjustments. Thanks :)

Nitro 54
01-16-2011, 06:19 PM
I think a lot of folks have trouble finding their way around the menu and finding the shortcuts.. Good luck.

rsarge1
01-16-2011, 06:26 PM
besides reading the manual you may want to download and copy the guide/hints that carl from whites is putting together he goes into more detail, it is not finished yet but there are 7 chapters out right now.

heres the thread: V3i Advanced Use's Guide http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/showthread.php?46072-V3i-Advanced-Use-s-guide

Lowjiber
01-16-2011, 06:46 PM
I came to the Vision world from the MXT side of the house too. I'm not going to tell you that the learning curve was not a bit steep, but you'll climb it pretty quickly. Those with DFX experiences transitioned pretty easily...albeit some Vision terms are different.

When I first got my Vision (March '09), it was crazy in the highly mineralized soil conditions in the San Francisco Bay area. I'll pass along the tip that got me over my V-newbie jitters. :rolleyes: It's this...To get the machine stable, sacrifice Rx Gain for Disc Sens.

Just what the fruit does that mean to a former MXT guy, and how does it relate?

On the MXT, you have a single non-linear Gain knob that performs three functions. Increasing MXT Gain increases Rx gain; increases Discrimination Sensitivity; and increases VCO voltage. The MXT'er quickly learns to use that knob to gain depth...often at the cost of overall stability. The increase in VCO voltage is not really that important in this discussion, but the Rx Gain and Disc Sens are. The fact that a single turn adjusts both upward is often lost when we (MXT'ers) are trying to hunt as deeply as possible. Our answer to everything is More Gain means More Depth. Right?

The Vision (and DFX) breaks Rx Gain and Disc Sens apart and gives the user the ability to adjust each separately. These two parameters are important to depth and stability, and it is unfortunate that the word Gain is used. That's what it is, but the MXT'er is accustomed to having Gain associated with depth.

So, when you're trying to get a Vision set up for a particular hunting condition, you'll need to adjust both Rx Gain and Disc Sens. The tip above simply means that if you have to reduce one or the other downward, reduce Rx Gain first...keeping the Disc Sens as high as possible.

The Vision with an Rx Gain of five and a high Disc Sens setting will be every bit as deep as your MXT was when hunting in the danger zone of 1X, 2X, 3X.

Sorry to hi-jack your thread, but I've been exactly where you are now and wanted to pass along some information that is not exactly evident at first glance.

Nitro 54
01-16-2011, 06:55 PM
That's one of the best explanations I've heard yet Lowjibar on how the MXT to V3i relate. Thanks

v3ikid
01-16-2011, 07:12 PM
I appreciate the replys very much. Ypu guys rock!! :peace: That was a very good explination and i understood it.
I already expect it to be a learning curve. I guess i misspoke when i said former MXT user 8/. No doubt If I have a spot to hunt and only have limited time to do it the MXT is what I will use thumbsup01. When the time comes that THAT situation arises and don't hesitate to take the V then I will know i'm getting somewhere. I will probably always carry both though. You just never know. Thanks guys

xzlr8n
01-16-2011, 10:49 PM
The following is quoted info from Advanced V3i User's Guide written by Carl at White's and is found on the notorious White's forum. Hope I'm not breaking any rules posting this?? Anyway, I found this section on the transmit frequency section to be very helpful and accurate for cutting out some noise at a few of my hunt locations.

Salt Compensate mode is the same as
Three Frequency mode, except that salt
responses are subtracted out. This eliminates
salt signals while still allowing V3i to track
ferrous mineralization. This technique is only
possible in multi-frequency detectors, which is
a second reason to use multiple frequencies.

Trivia: White’s DFX is always in salt compensate
mode.

A small downside to salt compensate is
that a narrow range of VDI’s are notched out
and target in that range won’t respond. The
VDI for salt is around +4 to +5 which is normally
the area for bits of foil. However, very
small gold nuggets and some jewelry can also
fall in this range, which is why V3i has the
added option to run a normal 3-frequency with
salt subtraction disabled. Some users have
reported situations where the salt-compensate
mode helps reduce EMI noise.
Like normal 3-frequency, salt-compensate
includes the option of calculating target VDI
from either best data or correlate.

end of quote!!

xzlr8n
01-16-2011, 11:03 PM
Another tid-bit of reading from the Advanced V3i User's Guide written by Carl at White's, I found interesting and hope to try out this upcoming hunting season is about TX boost and RX gain with regard to EMI and noise/falsing.

Here is the quoted section:

Tx Boost is transmit boost. When enabled,
it triples the transmit voltage applied to the
loop (from 10V to 30V) and increases the
depth. Using this feature has two major drawbacks:
it can overload some loops (reduce the
Rx Gain), and it quickly drains the battery.
There are two common uses for Tx Boost.
One is when hunting an unusually “clean” area
where most targets have been cleaned out, and
only deep targets remain. TX Boost typically
gives about a 1” depth increase. The other is
when EMI noise is severe. Reducing the Rx
Gain reduces EMI but also reduces target signal
strength. Applying Tx Boost increases target
signal strength but does not increase EMI
noise, so Tx Boost in combination with
reduced Rx Gain can be used to improve signal-
to-noise.

end of quote!!

Lots of other good tips and info on the V3i in this updated Advanced User Guide found at the White's Forum. Moderators please feel free to modify or delete if this post and my previous post do not comply with AD forum rules!!

CyberSage
01-16-2011, 11:40 PM
You are just fine xzlr8n! Thanks for the informative information and links. How are you doing with your V3/V3i? Good to hear from you friend.

Jack

xzlr8n
01-16-2011, 11:57 PM
Thanks for thumbs up Jack. I have to say that Carl is addressing a lot of the issues people generally complain about with the V3i. I believe his adobe file attachments of each chapter will eventually be the new V3i manual.

You might find the info on ground balancing helpful. It is mentioned in several chapters. He talks about the advantages of Loc-Trac versus auto when dealing with EMI and trashy areas. I might just use loc-trac all the time with occasional manual ground balancing for most of my hunts from now on!! He, also suggests using a single frequency with salt soil selected for Soil Type when the V3i is exceedingly hard to settle down in these high EMI or trashy areas.

I'm really liking my V3i and hope to get some good hunting in this upcoming season, last summer was really dry and busy for me, and the fall was taken up with work and lots of soccer games. A buddy I hunt with just bought an E-Trac and cannot wait to hunt with him and test out targets we find. I'll report on those outings for sure.

odave
01-18-2011, 11:32 PM
besides reading the manual you may want to download and copy the guide/hints that carl from whites is putting together he goes into more detail, it is not finished yet but there are 7 chapters out right now.

heres the thread: V3i Advanced Use's Guide http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/showthread.php?46072-V3i-Advanced-Use-s-guide

Carl is doing an excellent Job on this and is well done !!

russellt
01-21-2011, 07:06 PM
ive learned alot just reading through the posts.. thanks guys for the 411 :-

wagon wheel
01-21-2011, 08:47 PM
May I also add my 2 bits to those already posted...some of the best encouragement/advice I have received as I have learned new machines is to find an old football or soccer field, start at one end of the field and methodically run your machine from sideline to sideline back and forth until you have covered the entire area of the field. Dig EVERYTHING you detect and keep good notes of your finds. However, make sure you LEAVE NO TRACE...as the Boy Scouts say. It usually has taken me a few weeks or so to accomplish this task, but it has been some of the best time I have spent with each new machine I've had. This next year I will be at it again with my V3i. I can hardly wait to find out why I am not finding coins below 6. I am eager to put into effect all of the tutoring I have received from the posts I have read on the different forums...especially this one. Good luck and keep us posted.

w.w.