PDA

View Full Version : first multi-silver day + 21 wheaties

randy
11-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Went to a place I'd never hunted before today, but the historical aerials looked promising. It was a huge area, a nice day, so my goal was to get at least 2 silvers for the first time.

First 20 minutes went horrible, not a single keeper, not even clad. Then I started hitting wheaties, one after the next, all 6-9 inches deep. The surface clad and trash appeared to have been cleared out, which made the hunting kinda pleasant.

After about 8 wheaties, I was wondering if I was ever going to get a silver, and finally got a merc, this one about 5 1/2 inches deep. A few minutes later I got a deep +17 VDI signal, pretty solid, and I just knew it had to be a buff, and sure enough it was (no date tho).

After the signals seemed to dry up in that area, I went to a few other parts that looked good on the aerials, was getting more clad and junk, but still getting the deep wheaties. After about 17 wheaties, I decided I wasn't leaving until I got that second silver.

Battery was down to 8V, PP battery was going as well, but I wanted my multi-silver day, and I couldn't believe it when I saw that rosie in the bottom of the hole at the very end of the day. All told 21 wheats, 2 silvers, a buff and about 4 bucks in clad, as well as a cool looking pendant which unfortunately seems to be junque.

The V3 seemed fine on the wheaties, but I'm wondering if it missed any silver. Neither silver was as deep as the wheaties, and of course, they will leave more of a halo. Would love to go thru there with an E-Trac just to compare. I'm betting its not been hunted with a deep machine too often, and I'm itching to get back. I was sort of shocked at the number of wheaties I kept digging.

marchas45
11-29-2009, 07:31 PM
Way to go randy, looks like you had one helluve a day. Congrats on your silver, wheaties and Buff. Awesome. thumbsup01

angellionel
11-29-2009, 07:50 PM
Very nice Randy! You sure did a job on the wheats too. thumbsup01

z118
11-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Nice digs! I've got one site like that that seems to give up more than the usual amount of wheats per silver. Strange how one type of coin can seem so prevalent at a site.

del
11-29-2009, 08:58 PM
you killed the wheats , they didn't stand a chance :grin:. very nice looking silver , congrats Randy

Epi-hunter
11-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Congrats Randy, great day! That is a lot of wheats! Guessing someone cherry-picked silver out of that site and left the pennies, but obviously they missed some silver :) I really like that pendant too!

BHNugget
11-29-2009, 09:40 PM
Nice finds Randy! If your V is hitting the wheats deep it should be hitting silver if its there.You have to remember that losing a penny back then wasnt so bad.Losing a dime or quarter was like losing 1-2 dollars these days.

OkieDigger
11-29-2009, 09:42 PM
That's a lot of good digging there! Nice finds.

Bentfork
11-29-2009, 11:36 PM
Twenty one wheats and two silvers is a good day. Stick with it. That's a good site.

MNDigger
11-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Congrats on the harvesting all the wheat! :shocked04: That's a lot of digging! WTG on the nice looking silver too!

Stang1968
11-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Sounds like the V3 is beginning to pay off for you. You sure did pound the wheats and as for the silver, well I'd be content with a single silver day so you did pretty darn good in my book! Thanks for your share.

coinnut
11-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Nice day's hunt. I think sometimes the shallow silvers rang real good for the first people that detected there. But the deeper wheats were harder to get. The remaining silver was either missed or was next to iron or discriminated out targets (pull tabs, foil, etc...) This is where newer machines rock :smitten: Great hunt and a good outing for the V3.