PDA

View Full Version : Anyone's Pro Pointer Degrade In Depth Ability?

MartinL
01-17-2011, 05:24 PM
Seems like I've only read about the Pro Pointer just quitting, not getting less performance. Assuming your battery is fine, has anyone noticed their Pro Pointer gradually seeing less than what it used to when air testing coins? The air characteristics hasn't changed, and mine now wants to stop seeing coins at least a half inch less than when new in my latest air testing of the thing. I sometimes can't be sure if it has gone from 2(new) down to only 1(6 months old.)

If there is a degradation factor to look out for, I'll be quick to utilize my warranty and send it in. TIA, martin

Nitro 54
01-17-2011, 05:58 PM
If you can see it's going downhill, I sure would get the warranty done before it expires.

MartinL
01-18-2011, 04:46 PM
I wonder if I can walk it into the Garrett's factory here in Garland Texas and save the mail-in hassle. I don't see 2 results when I watch the Pro Pointer in the video posted here, except for large coins, but I am sure I was getting 1 3/4 if not 2 even with dimes and pennies back when I got it. Do you know what the warranty period is on the Pro Pointer? It's a year, right? I can check myself. Thanks. Martin

randy
01-18-2011, 04:49 PM
I believe mine is a lemon (it certainly seems lamer than when I first got it), however, it airtests consistently with some of the vids posted here, so I dunno.

MartinL
01-18-2011, 05:13 PM
I dug several square pull tabs today and many I had to almost visually see to find. I checked one in air test, and I bet I was less than 1 half inch away from the Pro Pointer before it sounded off. I just know that it worked better in the beginning, but it does align with the video posted here in air tests with coins. martin

RWJR13
01-18-2011, 07:48 PM
I wonder if I can walk it into the Garrett's factory here in Garland Texas and save the mail-in hassle. I don't see 2 results when I watch the Pro Pointer in the video posted here, except for large coins, but I am sure I was getting 1 3/4 if not 2 even with dimes and pennies back when I got it. Do you know what the warranty period is on the Pro Pointer? It's a year, right? I can check myself. Thanks. Martin
......Yes you can Martin......How long have you had it.......Call there or go there and ask for Sue....She will fix you up....

MartinL
01-18-2011, 08:00 PM
......Yes you can Martin......How long have you had it.......Call there or go there and ask for Sue....She will fix you up....

OK, good answer! I bought it back in the early summer and did quickly register it with Garretts. Cool! by fix me up what will she do?, collect it for testing latter on, or might they have a speedy in and out? I am asking for too many unknown answers, aren't I RW? :-) martin

RWJR13
01-18-2011, 08:05 PM
OK, good answer! I bought it back in the early summer and did quickly register it with Garretts. Cool! by fix me up what will she do?, collect it for testing latter on, or might they have a speedy in and out? I am asking for too many unknown answers, aren't I RW? :-) martin
...... :beatdeadhorse: Okay....Do you want me to start kikkin' it or you.... rofl rofl....Gotcha....Sue is a good friend/ club member/supporter/yada/yada/yada, of mine..Use your imagination, not the wacky one :confused:, the other one... :rolleyes:....call me and let me know when you are going out there...... :tongue: :tongue: :boxing:

MartinL
01-20-2011, 11:13 PM
The Pro Pointer decided to work better lately. Maybe it like a good solid 9V+ or more of source power. Mine was reading 8.6V with no audibbe warning of a low batt, so I popped in a fresh 9V(9.4v measured) battery. Now the air tests of my ProPointer are very good again. A nickel will really reach out in distance, beyond 2.

I will shout at ya RW if I do get a trip planned over there for any reason. It would be really cool to tour the facility like Mel did some time. Do you have any idea about how many people do they employ? Might be fun to work there. martin

RWJR13
01-21-2011, 06:25 PM
......No idea about how many workers....I went by there this afternoon to pick up a couple of detectors.... Sue and Brad were busy as usual..........I'll see Sue tomorrow and ask about workers......I'd be willin' to bet a tour would be no problem...

zrickkid
01-28-2011, 01:13 AM
I like the portability of the pro-pointer so it looks like a nice unit for the money.

M-Taliesin
01-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Howdy Pards!
I have the Garrett Pro Pointer, and I believe it is the absolutely best handheld pinpointer on the market.
The only thing better, IMHO, is the Sun Ray inline probes like the DX-1. They run off your machine's power and circuitry. Considering the fact that ProPointer is entirely hand held, it is an incredible device for finding coins in the field. I love the one I have, never had a lick of trouble out of it.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

coincutter
11-02-2011, 02:54 PM
I see a lot of posts all over about this issue
mine degrades daily and the fix is always a new battery
the thing pumps so much power into the ground it literally eats a battery a hunt. More so if you have a lot of targets.

Just guessing but the combination of a loud speaker, bright LED and a good vibrator in conjunction with the fact that it will read through 2 plus inches of dirt below two inches of grass tells me that it sucks power like crazy.

I have learned to use it more like a detector coil than a pin pointer and let it get me close. Rather than detune it I switch to my whites bullseye to zero in on the coin.

the solution may be to go rechargable or at a minimum by your 9v at costco in the large pack

steve

yazoo
11-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Another thing to do is the reset. Which is done by turning the PP on and hold the button for 4 seconds. Yazoo

MartinL
11-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Mine is still less sensitive on the very end than the sides. I tried the 4 second reset. Maybe a trip to Garland to let then factory do a fast test on it. Right now, it is just about like a Cen-tech, except for the sides. I seem to get about 2x on the sides conpared to the tip, maybe an inch, and 2 inches on the side. Go figure. And yes, I just put in a hot new 9v battery. martin

swingbot
01-15-2012, 09:28 PM
Mine will Cherp sometime and I just tern it off and back on.

carl2112
04-11-2012, 05:34 PM
I've had problems with pro pointer since I brought it home I think I got a remanufactured one sometimes it falses for no reason in mid air with no metal around if I turn it off then back on it seems to fix it. Also if I push down hard in the bottom of my hole it will start chirping slightly or if I squeeze the tip like when I clean the caked on dirt off it will do the same thing. Has anyone else had these problems with there pro pointer. It hasn't gotten bad enough yet to make me send it in but I just got it a month ago and I'm defiantly going to send it back to garrett before my warranties up

Fire Fighter 43
04-19-2012, 05:24 PM
I think mine is on its last legs. Even with afresh battery it seams to have lost a lot of depth and sensitivity. I tried the reset and it did not seem to help. Any suggestions?

randy
04-20-2012, 08:04 AM
Mine is pretty weak. About 1 inch on a nickel in an air test. Really weird the other day -- could not pick up a ferrous target right next to it, but worked normal on coin targets. Go figure.