PDA

View Full Version : E-TRAC Arm Cuff

Ron in WY
11-30-2009, 12:28 AM
Can't understand why they would put such a flimsy plastic cuff on such an otherwise solid machine. In addition to not having my X-1 probe yet, using the stock cuff is a pain.

Had considered buying one of the other cuffs available but put it off for a while. If I remember correctly, it runs about $45.00. Thought that maybe I could come up with something and save the $45 bucks.

Decided to look at the cuff on my BHID300 as a possible substitute. When I removed the stock cuff on the E-TRAC, I noticed the sliding screw receiver and the slot it moved back and forth in. Also noticed that the BHID300 cuff had holes in the bottom of the cuff as well as the side. Had to open the forward bottom hole on the BHID300 cuff ever so slightly so the E-TRAC screw would pass through it. Moved the E-TRAC screw receiver almost completely forward in the slot, started the screw extending through the front bottom hole on the BHID300 cuff, made sure the rounded back end of the BHID300 cuff fit tighly againt the back of the screw receiver slot and tightened down the E-TRAC screw. The tightness of the screw and the round bottom of the BHID300 cuff positioned in the rectangular screw slot provide forward and back plus lateral stability.

Used it for a few hours today and I have to say it proved to be sturdy and even more comfortable than the stock one. Really like having the quick adjust option that comes with the velcro strap on White's machines. It rides higher on the E-TRAC stem and allows you to extend your arm more naturally.

The XLT and BHID300 have the 3 wide cuffs and probably many other White's have the 3 also. HH

Ron

OkieDigger
11-30-2009, 08:33 AM
Smart thinking. The cuff doesn't bother me too much, however, the strap does. It's hard to stick much more than a bare arm through the strap.

MNDigger
11-30-2009, 09:29 AM
I agree the cuff does suck! I plan on getting one from Anderson Detector Shafts eventually but for now the stock one will have to do. Like Dale said it is the strap that is the problem. Maybe this winter I will look at making a strap that is more user friendly!

marchas45
11-30-2009, 11:00 AM
I bought one from Jeff Herke for $45.00 and it works well. I can't stand the strap as I have to loosen it every time I go to dig a hole, might be great in fields and such but around cellars and parks it just is a pain in the butt so I've never used it.
I have a great idea for a new type off replacement rod if any of you mechanical geniuses are interested.

Ron in WY
11-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Although it looks a little goofy, it works reasonably well. I particularily like how the cuff is situated farther away from the E-TRAC battery compartment. Changes the whole arm/shaft angle thing and I'm thinking it will go easier on my shoulder. It did yesterday for a few hours. HH

Ron

coinnut
11-30-2009, 07:01 PM
Anything but the stock arm cuff lol lol Duct Tape is better than that. I got the Arm cuff from Jeff. I never even think about that part anymore. glad you came up with something that works for you. :)