PDA

View Full Version : Uh Oh, A buddy bought a DFX

DustyRoundup
01-19-2011, 03:00 PM
:bop: dangit!

Yep, he calls yesterday, and says he bought a Whites last friday.
Says he got the best

( sidenote; he has Gold fever bad, and prospecting for gold is his main concern)
( Of course, I bragged up my MXT,,,,Whites )

So, he says , lets go look for gold,, (We have a bit of snow , and alot of it up high)

I show up, and he's all excited, hasnt even put the batteries in it yet.
I try telling him , the snow wont let us get close enough to the ground.
he says the coil is waterproof, No Big Deal
So, I asked if he knows how to run it, he says no, hands it to me and says
here, you figure it out , and I'll load up the 4 wheelers
OMG! LOL
So , I dont want to belittle his new toy, and I proceed cautiously,.
I told him , dang, Ive read where some people get pretty frustrated with the DFX, its one heck of a machine , it takes alot of time to learn
I told him , I know a guy that uses his DFX daily, and 4 years later, he's STILL learning it.
Reply was i'll just learn the Prospect mode and worry about the rest later

I asked why he chose the DFX,,(because the store he got it from had an MXT there as of Saturday, I was there, I saw it

He said , the owner of the store told him it was THE BEST Machine for finding GOLD!

NICE! Real nice, it kind of urks me a bit.
My buddy thought I could help him figure it out, but I told him its way out of my league, and I'm still learning my MXT.

So, I've been researching the DFX, and I dont think this is going to be a very good deal.
And , I'm torn between , telling him he should have got a GMT, GMZ, or an MXT even, so he can figure it out , before he dirty's his DFX.
Or just keep my mouth shut , and let the chips fall where they may, as it is his problem, and maybe he will put the DFX to good use Prospecting.

I hinted at Relic hunting, a few times yesterday, and he's not interested at all.
He strictly wants to nugget hunt, and we arent in a known nugget area.

Its his first detector, and he thinks he can turn it on and go, and prospect for gold.
And I dont really think he is the type to read the whole owners manual.

I tell ya, that Whites dealer will get NO good words from me.
He took advantage of a guy with a pocket full of money basically.
He didnt sell my friend , a machine to suit his needs, and he told him the DFX is THE BEST for nugget hunting, ??
My opinion is, its winter, sales are slow, and he just pushed his most expensive machine out the door.

Well, thanks for letting me vent.

Dusty

coinnut
01-19-2011, 03:08 PM
Whoo man lol The DFX is a great machine and I have had a lot of success over the years with it, but it would not be on my top 5 list for a gold machine lol I would :lipssealed: :lipssealed: and let him figure it out. If you really want to help, try getting him the best program for gold. But I wouldn't hold my breath on it finding nuggets in an area where there aren't any though. Good luck with that one ;)

Dimeman
01-19-2011, 03:27 PM
Or just keep my mouth shut , and let the chips fall where they may, as it is his problem, and maybe he will put the DFX to good use Prospecting.
The Whites dealer did him a disfavor selling him a DFX for gold hunting, when a GMT or MXT would have been better. The dealer upped his yearly sales a few hundred dollars from a gold detector to a DFX-- he sold one from his inventory, and didn't have to order one.

DustyRoundup
01-19-2011, 03:30 PM
Thanks coinnut,

It is a toughy, and I am leaning towards keepin quiet.
I have been , and will continue to research a good setup/ program for him.

There are a few posts on the web , so far, that cover the topic, and the post'ers , posted the settings

I can copy them, and leave the rest to him, I guess, :dontknow: :grin:
Because , to be honest, compared to my MXT, LOL, I dont understand much of it at all.

I can say , that now I know , the DFX is quite the machine ! WOW !
adjustable sweep speed even, wow,,, Ac ,, Dc,, WOW! :shocked04:

LOL

I LOVE my MXT, it seems so simple now! LOL :yes:

And yeah dimeman, I agree... :mad:

Dusty

del
01-19-2011, 05:39 PM
as Coinnut has said the dfx is a great machine (my primary one i've used for over 5 years now) but i wouldn't use it for finding nuggets either . don't get me wrong it will find gold and is a sensitive machine but once the nuggets get into the smaller ones and into flakes or grains in size and in highly mineralized soil as i suspect your area is , it will be very difficult for it to find them .thats where a good gold detector or pulse induction machine shines in comparison. if he's serious about keeping the dfx and nugget shooting then i recommend a double d coil to help and practicing with a real small nugget to figure out the sensitivity and settings , it will be a while to get some decent results as the learning curve can be lengthy .

Good luck , Dan

giant056
01-19-2011, 06:04 PM
There's a lot of people that I'm sure have found nuggets with the DFX but I am sure they were hunting in an area where there's been nuggets found before. That sure was rotten of that guy to sell him that machine for the best one to find gold with. Cliffy finds an awful lot of gold jewelry with his and he might have even found a nugget before, he might be the person to ask about the DFX as a prospecting machine cause he lives in Arizona, maybe he'll see this thread, where ya at Cliffy!

Nitro 54
01-19-2011, 06:35 PM
His best chance with the DFX prospecting is using the 4x6 coil. Other wise the gold will have to be bigger than you probably have in Montana. Maybe prospecting will just be a side line and he can put the DFX finding coins and relics..

Epi-hunter
01-19-2011, 06:46 PM
I think I would lean towards telling him. :) Especially if you think there's a chance that he might be able to return it and get an MXT. But even if not, he's just going to get frustrated the way it is now. He might as well know what to expect and how to maximize his opportunities.

Sounds like the dealer led him down the wrong path. Maybe it's just me though, but I would have done my research ahead of time and known what I wanted before going in there to buy something; I wouldn't have counted on anyone else's word. :cheesysmile: It really just takes one google search and a little reading to learn what White's machine is better for gold. But then, I am a researcher so that is my mindset :happydance01: Not to mention compulsively detail-oriented :shocked04: and not very trusting lol I can understand that he expected a dealer to know.

I think it depends on how your friend will react and whether he can return the DFX if he decides to do so. :)

DustyRoundup
01-20-2011, 11:54 AM
Well,
I talked to him about it ,last night, on the phone.

He did get the small DD coil, so thats good.
And he did say that another friend told him he could of got a better machine for gold ,cheaper.
I hinted a bunch , at what size of gold he could find, and couldnt find.
He has an out of town job, and is a busy guy, newly married too.
He said he had a few months till spring thaw to think about it, and that he might get into other types of hunting later (I jumped on that and told him he had one of the BEST for relics and coins)
And , Ya never know , maybe he'll just buy a Gold Detector and keep the DFX too.?

I also told him he could join a forum and get help from other DFX users.
I told him again it was way out of my league, but that I could search a few programs, and copy them down,
And I told him we should get together and do some air test's, side by side, MXT / DFX,
just to learn , and try and get that thing going.

Good, now I dont feel so responsible.

We'll see,
Thanks for the input you all,
Dusty

russellt
01-21-2011, 06:08 PM
a cabable machine , but not really a nugget finder i would think.my first time out i came across an unscrupulous whites dealer then i found robert . he takes care of my md needs . bigtime.i would tell him if he's really a friend

RounderRick
01-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Hey Dusty, If he's not much on reading the manual he might get a lot of information by watching the dfx videos.
Not sure if they come with the dfx but if not just go to the whites web site and the dfx area and click on the video tab there's like 8 of them.
I watched them once I was kinda interested in the dfx and they show a lot of the in's and out's of how to set it up.

Here's the link to the dfx just click video tab.

http://whiteselectronics.com/dfx-300.html

channelmaniac
01-28-2011, 08:55 AM
Lock it in the high freq mode and crank up the gain settings on it until it becomes unstable then back off a tad. Don't use the 3KHz freq when hunting gold and it may surprise you.

Sure it won't be anywhere close to the GMZ/GMT in sensitivity for specks of gold but if your friend wants to hunt more than just gold nuggets then he'll do fine with the DFX.

I wouldn't want a GMZ/GMT if I were hunting coins/relics so an all-around type detector may fit what he needs.

odave
02-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Tell Him Good Luck with the DFX thumbsup01 it's a fine detector !!
The others have said what choice they would have made and I agree.
And good he got the small Coil !! Hey He might get Lucky and find a Nugget.

KSHOLLYWOOD
04-17-2013, 07:09 PM
I would've told him, I live by this and it has served me well in the past. If the situation was reversed would YOU want him to tell YOU? Just think about that and you will have the RIGHT answer!!!!

Lowjiber
04-18-2013, 06:13 AM
DFX is a fine machine, albeit not the top of the line of the new machines available.

Let's see...

1. First machine
2. Doesn't read manuals
3. Gonna hunt nuggets (in a less than ideal place)
4. Did I mention &quot:grin:shocked04:esn't read manuals?

Sounds like a recipe for failure.

ssserena
04-23-2013, 10:30 AM
Failure is in the eyes of the beholder!Failure cannot happen if you dont let it happen. :)