PDA

View Full Version : Suprise Penny

MartinL
01-22-2011, 01:23 PM
I had a kinda strange penny find today. I had dug a sizeable hole in my yard with a shovel searching a signal that kept saying 5.5 after I'd dug down about 10. I had quite the crater dug, and then quit and filled it back in figuring there was something big down deep. That was a few days before. So I went out today to play in the test garden and swept the spot I had refilled and got a hit up at 1/4, which I dismissed, because I already checked scanned it the other day, right? Darned if somewhere in the diggings there wasn't clad penny, almost unrecognizable from being ate up. I assume it must have been really deep and I missed it the first time around. Don't know how I missed that except that I was chasing the bigger signal. Oh well. martin

Nitro 54
01-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Hmmm, you didn't rescan your hole before or after you filled it in did you .. :grin: :grin:

giant056
01-22-2011, 01:43 PM
That was probably it.

MartinL
01-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Hmmm, you didn't rescan your hole before or after you filled it in did you .. :grin: :grin:

Yes but I evidently scooped the penny in the task of digging deep looking for the phantom(bigger) target. Now obviously I didn't rescan the day I filled it back in or I'd found that scrungy penny sitting right at the new surface. I was tired of that hole already and it was cold. I should mention that I was working up relatively close to my circle cement driveway and the rebar possibly had the V3i confused as far as the deeper signal that kept at 5, no matter if I put the entire 6x10 coil fully into the 10 hole in PP mode, it kept that constant 5. The search signal was a bit chattery all along. I think the penny was an accident. martin

russellt
01-22-2011, 10:21 PM
get a dx-1 and solve your quandry thumbsup01

MartinL
01-25-2011, 09:08 PM
get a dx-1 and solve your quandry thumbsup01

Sorry, but I don't think so. The Pro Pointer is fine. The one Sunray PP I did have was noisy, and getting the Garrets handheld was a major improvement to THing. My penny wasn't the PP's fault. It was chasing a deep phantom signal. If anything, the V3i was at fault. I coulda dug to China and it would have still said 5 in PP, even with the DX or the XL PP. Been there done that. Pro Pointer is the best! martin

coinnut
01-25-2011, 09:14 PM
I think you are right...that rebar can send a funny return signal and will confuse most machines. On my E Trac, if you put a can behind a downed tree, you may dig next to the tree and not notice the can on the other side lol I've dug 10 for that can only to look over the log and see it 8/ As for the things we call pennies these days. :mad: I hate them things