PDA

View Full Version : Logged In Vs Active

ec121connie
01-23-2011, 08:26 AM
Noticed that I was listed as active before I logged in. That was a bit of a surprise as I select 1 day as the active time frame when I log in.

Two questions.

1. Is the active list simply a list of all of the members or does it accurately reflect those logged In and online?

2. Is someone else using my screen name?

Here is a copy of the active list before I logged in. I added the bold to make it easier to find.

Currently Active Users:
ThE kRAuT, RichK, nixologist, John M, Civil War Nut, pulltabsteve, Jerry SC, giant056, rodbuster, Lowjiber, Spiderwort, DaddyDigger, del, RWJR13, Marcus, wagon wheel, M-Taliesin, wild willy, Probed, dave in iowa, jkress, xzlr8n, LEROY, Jeff (or), RounderRick, Poker Jim, wheresthegoodstuff, BillZ, Ill Digger, angellionel, marinedad, brown, mike l, midas, BOWSER, Herm, BigE, Nitro 54, Kimster, Napa Steve, Bentfork, psychposse, li tom, CyberSage, kurtnks, Bubba707, rsarge1, Beefcake, snake, cnr_dogs, Judy, Rebel8, yalcy, Bedrock, russellt, rcsnake, Epi-hunter, Indy!, pink, lasercat, Bell-Two, coinnut, Dogface, exsquid, Brooklyn, Spike, MrJeep, P Side, Jason in Enid, CBAILEY, jsj, SeabeeRon, Rick M, PL8MAN, top pop top, Woodsguy, zrickkid, flashs, sniffy, ec121connie, Lynn-MN, RonMue, Evan/tn, kenfen, JaxYakker, Diggler, capt., little man, tanacat, Salty Dog, Snickerdoodle, Reiner, Trigem, Butch in Colorado, yazoo, Jimmy4, BHNugget, wingmaster, cobill, cdroms, Dixie Rebel, DustyRoundup, Brittany-Guy, Stang1968, Goat Rancher, ronv3, KirkPA, stoopstroop, DaleGM, Three Ringer, gittarlvr, trout-hunter

Thanks

Evan/tn
01-23-2011, 08:40 AM
Well i notice my name is on the list and i just logged in 30 seconds ago :crazy:

Lowjiber
01-23-2011, 08:41 AM
I checked the Simple Machines (the engine that drives AD) forum for an answer to your first question.

As I understand it, the active status simply means that you've been active on the forum, as opposed to some members who may not have logged in for a while.

I'm glad you asked that question. I kinda wondered what active meant as well.

I guarantee that nobody else is using your username.

psychposse
01-23-2011, 09:59 AM
I imagine it has a bit to do with how often the server flushes/updates the cache. Maybe the script isn't identifying log-outs.

Either way, data can't just be erased, it has to be overwritten or destroyed somehow. So when the script enters your name as active, it writes it in. When you log out, your name can't actually be erased - the script should just not show it is all, but the data (your name) is still written in the active area.

I understand it better than I can explain it :crazy:

giant056
01-23-2011, 10:12 AM
I even went so far as to come here with another browser and it showed I was active until I logged off, once I logged off in my normal browser it didn't show me.

angellionel
01-23-2011, 11:17 AM
When a member logs on using his/her credentials (username and password) the name is added to the Currently Active Users list, and it remains there until:

1) The member manually logs off by clicking on the 'Logout' link.
http://www.americandetectorist.com/misc/logout.jpg

OR

2) The server drops off the name after 12 hours of inactivity.

In case 1, the member will be required to again log back on to the forum using his/her credentials.

In case 2, the member does not have to log back on so long as the same computer and browser are again used.[/i] If a different browser is used while on the same computer (for example, switching to Firefox after using Internet Explorer) the server will prompt for a password.

The same will happen if a different computer is used, for example, walking away from the laptop to use a desktop, smartphone, or company computer to access the forum. The server will prompt for a password even if still logged on to the forum from the first computer.

I hope that helps. :yes:

Nitro 54
01-23-2011, 02:25 PM
When you click on how many where online it will tell all the members and guests that were here and the last time they were active. I like that feature.

ec121connie
01-24-2011, 10:16 AM
When a member logs on using his/her credentials (username and password) the name is added to the Currently Active Users list, and it remains there until:

1) The member manually logs off by clicking on the 'Logout' link.
http://www.americandetectorist.com/misc/logout.jpg

Doesn't seem to work that way for me.

When I login I normally select 1 day for the active period and when I leave the forum I logout.

When I return, normally the next day, I frequently see my screen name on the active user list.

I'm using Firefox 3.6.13 and it is set to clear all cookies on closing the browser.

Regards,

angellionel
01-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Doesn't seem to work that way for me.

When I login I normally select 1 day for the active period and when I leave the forum I logout.

When I return, normally the next day, I frequently see my screen name on the active user list.

I'm using Firefox 3.6.13 and it is set to clear all cookies on closing the browser.

Regards,

That seems strange Connie. How are you determining that you are on the list despite logging off? Are you viewing the forum as a guest when you see your name on the list? So you know, your name is not listed on the Currently Active User list as I make this post, so it appears that you are indeed being logged out.

Do me a favor. When you are back on, log out by clicking on the logout link, then immediately take a look at the Currently Active User list. Is your name still there? If not, then the server has logged you off as expected. Now exit your browser. Reopen the browser and go to the forum without logging in. Review the Currently Active User list. Is your name there? It shouldn't be listed.

If you can clarify, is this happening even when you access the forum using another computer? Have you checked your browser settings to ensure it is not set to automatically log you into the forum whenever you click on the link to the forum? Are you using Firefox for all of your online activity? If so, open a different browser and navigate to the forum. You should be viewing the forum as a guest. Do you see your name on the list despite having logged off via your primary browser?

ec121connie
01-25-2011, 09:09 AM
That seems strange Connie. How are you determining that you are on the list despite logging off? Are you viewing the forum as a guest when you see your name on the list? So you know, your name is not listed on the Currently Active User list as I make this post, so it appears that you are indeed being logged out.

Do me a favor. When you are back on, log out by clicking on the logout link, then immediately take a look at the Currently Active User list. Is your name still there? If not, then the server has logged you off as expected. Now exit your browser. Reopen the browser and go to the forum without logging in. Review the Currently Active User list. Is your name there? It shouldn't be listed.

If you can clarify, is this happening even when you access the forum using another computer? Have you checked your browser settings to ensure it is not set to automatically log you into the forum whenever you click on the link to the forum? Are you using Firefox for all of your online activity? If so, open a different browser and navigate to the forum. You should be viewing the forum as a guest. Do you see your name on the list despite having logged off via your primary browser?

As I noted in the original post I sometimes see my screen name as an active user before I login. Doesn't always happen which prompted the original question regarding someone else using my screen name.

My browser is not set to auto login, remember pass words or any of that stuff. The only time I allow cookies are for two specific sites. This site and a guitar building forum. The cookies are set to clear upon exit and/or browser shutdown.

I don't have any other computer to test the login/out.

I'll keep n eye on it and let you know if the problem re-appears.