PDA

View Full Version : Settings on my Sov GT

SC_Dave
11-30-2009, 08:13 PM
I am having difficulty with setting up my GT. But in particular I find the top right two switches most confusing! Seems the more i read the less I understand, some articles even contradict others. Can someone please help me understand these two switches and the proper way to set-up this machine?

David

MNDigger
12-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Sorry I can't help you out with the GT but I think there are at least two people on here that have them. Hopefully they will chime in and give you a hand!

angellionel
12-01-2009, 11:41 PM
Hi Dave, sorry for the tardy reply. The following is something I put together some time ago. I think you may find it helpful.

http://angellionel.com/myfinds/2007/September/SP_sovgt_092207.jpg

Disc
With very few exceptions I leave this at the lowest possible setting, the very first notch. A new user, however, may benefit by making some adjustments, at least until he is fairly acquainted with the GT's tonal range on various targets. If working your typical park, moving the dial to about the 11:00 notch will help in rejecting the pesky pieces of foil littering many parks while still picking up most gold rings. I don't recommend increasing the discrimination past this setting though unless the user is just cherry picking a site. Keep in mind too that increasing the discrimination tends to have a negative impact on depth.

Notch
While this setting can be useful in some situations I personally never use it. The setting is intended to cancel out targets falling within a specific range. For example, when working a sports field littered with similarly sized pulltabs a user can set the machine to reject that specific target range while still picking up targets of a lower or higher tonal range. I personally prefer to use the tones as a means of discrimination, but that's just a personal preference. Experiment with this setting. You may find it to be useful at some sites.

Volume
I set this one to just about the 3:00 position. I have found that a higher setting tends to produce an echo on shallower targets which I find annoying. It differs with each user though, so experiment with it.

Middle switch top = all metal - on -off- Iron Mask
Leave it on Iron Mask ON. All metal is just that - it picks up all targets, even iron. You can switch to All Metal when pinpointing a target in PinPoint Mode or when working the beach.

Threshold/Silent
I have used the silent setting on some occasions, and it is helpful, but I prefer the reassuring slight hum of a well-set threshold. I would leave it at the threshold setting until you become comfortable with the machine. If you do decide to use the silent mode, first make sure you have a low and consistently smooth threshold before switching over to silent. If your threshold is barely audible or erratic when setting the machine to silent it can have a negative impact on the machine's ability to pick up deep targets.

Sensitivity
A properly set sensitivity and discrimination makes the GT a great coinshooting and relic machine. This setting is one you will need to pay close attention to since it is the one you will be using the most. In general, setting it at the 12:00 position will work well at most sites. Note that the more clockwise setting actually lowers the sensitivity, so a 2:00 position would produce a lower sensitivity than the 12:00 position.

To set the threshold and properly ground balance using this setting start with the 12:00 position. Make sure that there are no metal objects in the ground. Repeatedly lower and raise the coil from the ground, making sure the coil isn't at an angle. The threshold may initially change, but then it should hold steady. If it doesn't, decrease the sensitivity, moving it to about the 1:00 position. Once it holds, sweep the coil on the ground several times. This will allow the machine to read the ground's mineral content and adjust itself for it. You're now set to go! You can now increase the sensitivity though be mindful of any falsing.

Right top switch up = Track Middle = fix down = P/Point
Leave this setting on Track. Track and Fix are only active during All Metal mode and will have no effect while in discrimination mode. Pin Point mode is used in combination with all metal to pinpoint a target.

Noise Cancel
This can be useful in certain circumstances, as when there's another detectorist nearby and his machine is interfering with yours, or at areas where EMI tends to be a problem.

I hope that helps, Dave.

SC_Dave
12-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Thanks Angel!
Lets see if I have this right. Concerning the Disc switch.

Up= All Metal.
Center = Discriminate on and then you adjust the disc level with the knob?
Down = Discriminate off and Iron Mask on?

I don't know why I am having trouble getting my head wrapped around the function of this switch!

angellionel
12-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Thanks Angel!
Lets see if I have this right. Concerning the Disc switch.

Up= All Metal.
Center = Discriminate on and then you adjust the disc level with the knob?
Down = Discriminate off and Iron Mask on?

I don't know why I am having trouble getting my head wrapped around the function of this switch!

Actually, having the switch at either the center or downward position will have the GT in discriminate mode. The difference is that using Iron Mask On allows the GT to make a distinction between a non-ferrous target and iron, sounding off on a non-ferrous target even if near iron. This has been a challenge for many other detectors. Having Iron Mask On can also yield better depth than with Iron Mask Off, though that may not be the case in areas having highly mineralized soil. Keep in mind too that with Iron Mask On the GT may on occasion react to large iron, especially when deeply buried, sounding off as if it were a good target. But that's a minor trade-off considering the benefits. :)

SC_Dave
12-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Thanks again for all the information Angel, it was a big help.

David

love2dig
01-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Saturday looks like its gonna be a great day to dig ! I am going to try Angellione's advice and drop back on the Notch on my Sovereign GT. I will let you know how it works. Hope to have some pictures up as well.

coinnut
01-14-2010, 10:44 PM
Yep, Saturday is supposed to be pretty balmy at around 40 degrees lol I'll take it! :yes: Hope you do well, we're out on that day too!