PDA

View Full Version : What the heck are we gonna do all winter?

hockeyguy
11-30-2009, 08:59 PM
PLAY HOCKEY! lol how about you?

del
11-30-2009, 09:11 PM
PLAY HOCKEY! lol how about you?

quietly weep to myself crying01 while watching all the good finds from the posts of the southern
detectorists :crying02:

angellionel
11-30-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm going to be depressed. :crying02: Then I'll go out to hunt in the woods. :twirlingeyes:

I'll keep busy cleaning some wheats, and reading about the finds from members where winter isn't a downer. :grin:

Epi-hunter
11-30-2009, 09:26 PM
I'll detect :) I'm in the south; there must be some advantage to that!

I also recently booked a skiing trip to Durango, Colorado (Purgatory lodge) for this winter. :) It's been about 8 years since I skied Colorado, but at that time I had been skiing a great deal and had progressed to the expert slopes. I'll be starting at intermediate now. I hope I'm not too old lol

BHNugget
11-30-2009, 09:40 PM
Im taking my ice auger to the creek so I can get my suction hose in the water to run my trommel. lol More on the serious side,if the winter would remain like it has so far this year,it would suit me just fine and I wouldnt need to retire the detector until spring. thumbsup01

z118
11-30-2009, 10:03 PM
This will sound strange but I will almost be glad when the ground freezes. My obsession with detecting has been a little too out of hand this year. There's a lot of things I've neglected that need tending too. Once detecting is no longer an option it will be easier to focus on anything and everything else.

That being said, hopefully it will be a short winter!

randy
11-30-2009, 10:23 PM
I'm joining the local historical society, and hope to spend alot of time in their library of old maps, newspapers, and historical photos. We'll see if anything comes from it. If not, hopefully it will satisfy my interest in local history.

OkieDigger
12-01-2009, 07:32 AM
I plan on doing some research on sites. When the weather is good I'm hoping to get out for some detecting.

I also recently booked a skiing trip to Durango, Colorado (Purgatory lodge) for this winter.

Have you ever ridden the D&SNGR? I highly recommend it. Here's a pic of it from two years ago when I was there. It runs during winter as well and I imagine there are some stunning pictures to be had.

MNDigger
12-01-2009, 08:45 AM
Well I will definately be doing some research for next year but to get out of the house I will be on the ice chasing crappie!

Epi-hunter
12-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Have you ever ridden the D&SNGR? I highly recommend it. Here's a pic of it from two years ago when I was there. It runs during winter as well and I imagine there are some stunning pictures to be had.

Gorgeous photo... I haven't ridden it, but it's one of the things I intend to do while there. I haven't been to Durango in several years. I can't wait to go back.

marchas45
12-01-2009, 11:35 AM
For me I'll be doing some research on some local sites and I just ordered a Tumbler do clean up my clad and some beat up silver before wrapping it up. After that probably a little inside painting so that I'll be free for Spring. I was going to do some swinging today but I'm a little under the weather, maybe tomorrow. thumbsup01

coinnut
12-01-2009, 12:08 PM
I think I'll just hibernate lol Works for the bears :-\

Dave
12-01-2009, 12:24 PM
:smitten: My better half has a long Honey-Do list for me this winter. :shocked04: I'll be lucky to finish by Spring. :beatdown:

bmattioli
12-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Winter? What's that.. I'll be out there somewhere hunting.. I can't stay at home ALL day it would drive me crazy just starring out the window..

woodwizard
12-02-2009, 01:56 AM
normally winter here isn't that bad but this year is suppose to be a bad one-if it isn't so bad I'll be detecting-don't want to think about the worst as I'm not the inside person but hate the cold too-any thing less then 70s I'm putting on more clothes-too many years in Tampa

Evan
12-02-2009, 03:47 AM
Well ice fishing helps calm the Metal Mania very mildly, I also calm the edge with research, research, and more research. Soon after New Years I get couped up too long and lose most of my mind and try to hit the ocean on the warmer days going in the water with waders to get just a little fix. Then by Pre-spring I am clinically insane and have to get out there with my pick axe and detect on the snow that is less than 3 deep, I find you can still pull a decent find with 3 of snow or less on the ground It's just way more of a pain in the butt. Anyways that is my winter life, the rest is just details because I suffer from a disease called Metal Mania.

HH,

-Evan

TimC
12-02-2009, 08:12 AM
Well, being in Alabama I guess I'll hunt a good bit, camping with the Scouts, finish the house remodel around April, work and of course go to as many Civil War shows as I can.

RickO
12-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Research...both book and field.... have to find Dutch Shultz's treasure and a few others.. RickO

Calvin
12-02-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm going to teach at the Technical College, go ice fishing, start travelling for work again after being grounded since May, and try to get 7-10 days in visiting my son in Vail where he is working for the ski season. Then again, a beach on the Gulf of Mexico sounds pretty darn good, too! 8)

yazoo
12-03-2009, 07:54 AM
I will look for a few woods to hunt and some of my other spots so long as its not frozen. Then I also hope for some new literature on the V3 to be out the first of the year. That way I can read it over and over till it starts to soak in some time next spring.I also like that hibernate idea . H.H.Yazoo

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-06-2010, 02:37 PM
if the ground's diggable.... i'm so there! :yes:

leslie(nova scotia)
01-09-2010, 11:13 AM
From the land of the Bluenose.....work lots of overtime this time of the year with all the charter flights coming in. On the lighter side I too still play hockey and have my philatelic interests to pursue. Going south to get my fix for a fortnight also which breaks up the winter and besides going shack happy!

coinnut
01-09-2010, 01:24 PM
[quote=leslie(nova scotia);7124]
On the lighter side I too still play hockey and have my philatelic interests to pursue[\quote]

Hey Leslie,
You do any US stamp collecting??

SpringTxDigger
01-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Hopefully I'll be out hunting. It's a balmy 42 here and sunny right now. Doing Honey-do's today so I can hunt tomorrow. The skeeters are dead and it's prime hunting season. I'll see if I can post some finds tomorrow.

Ah Durango. Love that place. And the train is a run ride. Silverton is beautiful. Haven't been there in probably 10 years. Love the town. What scenery. What about Ouray? Another neat spot.

TimC
01-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Research! Great idea Ricko.

Lowjiber
01-10-2010, 01:31 PM
As most know, I live in California and can hunt year-round. However, we're moving to southern Nevada this month (Jan). I'll have a whole new world to explore when we finally get settled in.

We'll be in the Vegas area and my Jeep is anxious to hit the desert. I'll have to learn some new digging techniques...I'm sure. :rolleyes:

coinnut
01-10-2010, 01:34 PM
We'll be in the Vegas area and my Jeep is anxious to hit the desert. I'll have to learn some new digging techniques...I'm sure. :rolleyes:

I hope you got a compass and a snake bite kit.... and tons of water and a .... never mind I think you get the cautions for being in a strange environment. ;) Oh don't forget the scorpions too lol

Downeastwaves
01-10-2010, 01:41 PM
As most know, I live in California and can hunt year-round. However, we're moving to southern Nevada this month (Jan). I'll have a whole new world to explore when we finally get settled in.

Have fun with the move, get yourself a big crowbar, one like they use to use on the railroad.... :yes:

del
01-10-2010, 01:46 PM

ah! a fellow Jeeper , you'll have fun there with that . best of luck to you in the move and i will be hoping it goes uneventful . stay away from them one-armed bandits out there.

CyberSage
01-10-2010, 06:25 PM
I have been doing a lot of research for next hunting season. I am also working on an air testing setup much like Jeff Foster used in his test of the DFX for his book &quot:grin:igging Deeper With The DFX. I am hoping this will give me a better understanding of the V3 and the effects of various adjustments. Man, we are froze down hard right now. I don't think I am going to be swing'in before March sometime. crying01

Keep Swing'in
Jack

BOWSER
01-18-2010, 01:34 PM
personnally i plan to cry a lot,and that's the truth