PDA

View Full Version : Never Seen One of These!

M-Taliesin
01-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Howdy Folks!
While laying out coins to photograph my Texas finds, I noticed one of the quarters from our drive back to Colorado didn't look at all right compared to the others. So....
I washed it up some. It was still caked with dirt from digging it up in a real small town called Memphis in Texas. It must have come out of the ground at the old courthouse in the middle of the town square in Memphis.

Pipster and I hit that location on the way back because it had every evidence of being real old. We stopped long enough to read a sign telling of the history of that site. The previous building sat on that site from the mid 1800s until early 1900s when the present building was built to replace it.

Anyhow... what I thought was a quarter now puzzles me as to what on earth it is. I ain't never seen the like of it before.

Anybody got any clue what this thing is?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Ill Digger
01-23-2011, 11:33 PM
:shocked04: You found yourself a two center Mel !!
Sweet !!
Under the gunk is a big'ol number 2 !! :peace:
The front looks like is in great shape too !!
I'm hopin to find one some day!!
Nice find!!
Congrats !! :grin:

CyberSage
01-24-2011, 08:24 AM
That's a Two Cent piece for sure. Congratulations Mel. Nice find!

http://valueincoins.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/two-cent.jpg

M-Taliesin
01-24-2011, 08:34 AM
Howdy Fellas!
Yeppers, the one side is exactly what I see. The other side, however, ain't near so pretty and all.
When Pipster saw it, he was about beside himself. He wanted to know how I mistook that coin for
a quarter, and I told him I never looked at the VDI. Just got a decent signal and went down to get
it dug up (as is somewhat my habit, and why I often have trouble when somebody asks about a
VDI given up by any particular target.) It was plenty dirty and the size was right, so I figured it
musta been a quarter when I chucked it into my pocket. It got dark while we were out there,
and we were running headlamps, so I didn't get a good look at that thing.

Ah, but when laying out coins last night... something just didn't look kosher. Washed it up best
I could with water and soap. Didn't take my Dremel to it like I did with some of those nasty modern
coins I found on the beach in Galveston. Figure now that I know what it is, won't take a Dremel to it
ever.

I never saw one of these in person before, so I was thrown off track pretty good. What I thought
was just another quarter turned out pretty good. That particular courthouse yard also gave me a
wheat penny with unreadable date.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

psychposse
01-24-2011, 09:07 AM
Awesome find for sure. That is the first I have ever seen of one thumbsup01

giant056
01-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Big congrats on the 2 center Mel thumbsup01

coinnut
01-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Nice 2 cent piece Mel :clapping: They are a treat when they come out of the ground. :yes: Great shape too. :happydance01:

zrickkid
01-24-2011, 04:57 PM
Nice find buddy.

Kimster
01-24-2011, 08:44 PM
Great find, buddy. But, two the center of what...is it getting old yet.... :thinkingabout:

Nitro 54
01-24-2011, 09:48 PM
super find M-T :drool: :drool: :drool: thumbsup01 thumbsup01

Dimeman
01-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Nice coin and a Texas find !!!!!!! :envious: :envious:

odave
01-29-2011, 09:43 PM
Sweet find Mel !! Carver has found a few that are beauties !

M-Taliesin
01-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Awesome find for sure. That is the first I have ever seen of one thumbsup01

Howdy Pard!
Yeah, me too. And I didn't even know it until I got home to Colorado.
And once I got a good look at it, I still didn't know what it was.
How's that for ignorance? Guess ya learn something new every day.
Except for Tuesdays. Because I bowl on Wednesdays! LOL!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin
01-29-2011, 09:53 PM
Nice coin and a Texas find !!!!!!! :envious: :envious:

Howdy Robbie!
I made quite a few great finds in Texas. Come to think of it, I really do like Texas.
I don't particularly like Houston traffic, though. Learned that one real quick! But I surely did like Texas.
If I could spend a month in Texas, I figure I could do just as well or even much better than here in Colorado.
I got gold, I got silver, and even got an old coin too! Yeah, Texas was good to me. Especially all those great folks I met while on our trip there. Texas is alright in my book!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

BOWSER
01-29-2011, 10:17 PM
after you clean it up,send it to me,i would like a closer look at it thumbsup01

Spiderwort
01-30-2011, 12:01 AM
Thanks for sharing. I've never seen one before.

Judy
01-30-2011, 03:38 PM
Beauty find - been on my wish list for 4yrs. now!!! Well done :clapping:

del
01-30-2011, 04:20 PM
very sweet 2 center coin Mel , big congrats on your first and hope you find a few more . ;)

pulltabsteve
01-30-2011, 06:45 PM
I found my first 1 last year :yes:

wingmaster
01-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Yep that what I said it was my first find and it was with an IH of the same year, thats all it took I'm hooked for good now. My wife was with me she said what is it I told her I'm not sure but its cool and real old, after a minute I seen the 2 on the back and told her its a 2 cent piece and checked the hole to find another target that was the IH.

jkress
01-31-2011, 01:10 AM
:smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Again... congrats M-T on one heck of a keeper. :happydance01:

tanacat
01-31-2011, 03:15 PM
:clapping: :happydance01: :clapping: :happydance01:

Great find!!! Hope it cleans up... let us see after you're done!

M-Taliesin
01-31-2011, 07:00 PM
Howdy Tanacat!
I think it is about as good as it will ever be. It appears to be slagged on one side where the 2 oughtta be.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

DaleGM
01-31-2011, 10:44 PM
hope someone did not loose there bail money back then ;) cool find Mel, another one on my list too :beerbuddy:

tanacat
02-01-2011, 06:38 AM
Howdy Tanacat!
I think it is about as good as it will ever be. It appears to be slagged on one side where the 2 oughtta be.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Perhaps soaking it in olive oil for a month or so might loosen that up? :huh:

marinedad
02-01-2011, 08:47 AM
mel try heating up a little peroxide, a couple seconds in microwave and drop coin in and let soak. it will bubble awhile, after 20 min try picking gunk off with a toothpic, repeat if this helps. after i get it as clean as i think i can i put a little mineral oil on it. i may be wrong but like most ih pennies the 2 center may also be bronze.

CROCKofCOINS
02-02-2011, 08:09 AM
Nice find...now when you say My two cents... it will have meaning to it. :peace:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_two_cents_(idiom)

exsquid
02-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Real nice find Mel....Great job on that find!!

M-Taliesin
02-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Nice find...now when you say My two cents... it will have meaning to it. :peace:

Howdy Crock!
Well sir, I surely have a much brighter perspective on Texas now too!
For two cents, I'd go back there again! LOL!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Napa Steve
02-04-2011, 11:13 PM
Awesome find buddy, Im with Tana on keeping it in olive oil. I have coins that have been in olive oil for six months, I rub them down about every two weeks.

russellt
02-09-2011, 12:51 PM
awesome . now thats something you dont seee everyday