PDA

View Full Version : back from texas

pipster
01-24-2011, 11:06 PM
well i brought mel to texas with me while i did not have the time to hunt like the melster i did get out a bit so i thought i would post my finds as well as a antique that was in my storage locker that my brothers had found about 6 years back in greenville texas if ya'll read western eastern treasures magazine then you might already know what this is the lock reads Aug 7 1888
as a tribute to dime mans generosity i piled my coins up for him thanks to him i did not come home empty of finds. thanks dime man.
totals
$6.44

here is the info on the lock that mark from western Eastern treasures gave us
LATCH ONTO ITAsk Mark Parker Image 2

Q. Here's an object that my two brothers found. In fact, they found 147 of them, all in one pile. It's marked Pat. Aug. 7, 1888. No one seems to know what it is, so I'm turning to you for help. Value isn't all that important, as most of them are heavily rusted, although some are still in working order.

A. Archival sleuthing at the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office reveals that your gizmo is a gate latch invented by George W. Charleville of McKinney, Texas. The two rings inside the case were moved by means of the levers on either side. When allowed to drop below the case, the rings engaged a metal latch bar, holding the gate in place. Pressing the levers drew the rings back into the case, releasing the latch bar. No guess on the value, but prices for plain iron, no-key gate locks and closures of that era tend be fairly low. While your latch does have a bit of novelty and obscurity going for it, the fact that your brothers uncovered 147 of them definitely takes it out of the rarity category. Obviously, condition is also a problem. Best bet? Frame a couple of the nicer ones alongside copies of the patent documents and drawings (which I'm sending you), and then offer the display to a collector of antique locks or hardware.

marinedad
01-25-2011, 12:36 AM
nice clad pipster, see you followed mel over here too. those thumbcuffs?

Ill Digger
01-25-2011, 01:05 AM
It looks like you made use of the time you did have !! :yes: thumbsup01
Nice finds!
Congrats :grin:
The other item?....I'll go with Marinedad....thumb cuffs? :dontknow:

giant056
01-25-2011, 04:07 AM
Congrats on all the great finds Pip thumbsup01 that lock is way cool!!

coinnut
01-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Cool looking relics. I would have never guessed what that contraption was lol I guess it's a good thing we have patents :yes:

Nitro 54
01-25-2011, 09:56 PM
You made out like a bandit Pip :happydance01: :happydance01: thumbsup01 thumbsup01

Jaybird
01-25-2011, 11:01 PM
Way to go Pipster thumbsup01 Looks like you and Mel both did good. Congratulations :yes:

odave
01-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Good Haul :beerbuddy:

russellt
01-26-2011, 08:08 PM
looks like a fine hunt to me pipster //

pulltabsteve
01-26-2011, 08:13 PM
Nice lock and good hunting Pip :peace:

Salty Dog
01-27-2011, 03:50 AM
interesting lock pipster,I'd hate to wear those anytime :beerbuddy:

Evan/tn
01-27-2011, 07:30 AM
Nice finds Pipster
Glad yall hd a good trip!

M-Taliesin
01-27-2011, 08:02 AM
Howdy Folks!
Pipster and me found just the right neighborhood late in the day on our last day in the area. It had all the right elements. We grabbed our detectors when we stopped at one particular school and headed for a wood chipped tot lot. As we headed in that direction, a woman came and told us she'd lost a wedding ring in a particular piece of grassy yard and hoped we might find it for her. We promised we'd try and asked her name so we could make certain she got it back if found. Then we moved to the tot lot and it produced pretty well in terms of clad.

Then we hit that grassy area and tried real hard but didn't find the ring in question. I did find two others, but neither of them came close to the description of the lost ring.

We decided to drive off to another location, but as we passed the school building, we saw there were another 4 or more tot lots on the east side of the building that we didn't know were there. So we just naturally had to stop what we were doing and hit those. And coins came popping up out of those wood chips fast and furious. Pipster was finding clad with every swing of the coil, and so was I. The area we were working was under two sets of swings. But before we finished and moved on to the structures, some folks came by and told us they would be closing the gates and locking up the school yard for the night. We had to leave.

Which brings me to the point. Pipster felt quite strongly, and I agree 100%, that it was entirely likely we'd find gold and/or silver on that tot lot. All the signs were right, and we were sure we'd find the good stuff somewhere out at that school. But we left the area as they locked the gates behind us and moved on! We were invited to return the next day (Saturday) but our plans were to leave for Colorado in the morning!

So our desire to perform a good deed and find that woman's ring cost us whatever goodies might have been on those east side tot lots. We are convinced that gold or silver awaited us there, but time ran out on us. Had we known about the presence of those other tot lots, we could have hunted those first, then come back to try finding that lady's ring. Worse, Pipster and I both understood that simple fact.

Next time we go back to the area, we are going to nail that location! If, that is, we get another crack at it.
And that location was about the only one Pipster got to hunt on our trip. We hit a little town on the way back through Texas, and a school or two, but nothing produced anything like that school where we tried to help the lady find her ring.

Pipster done pretty good, all things considered.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

rsarge1
01-27-2011, 10:23 AM
nice finds pipster I agree with a previous post those look like thumb cuffs to me , nice old find :peace:

Epi-hunter
01-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Glad you guys had a good trip. Love the lock! :happydance01: Very cool!